Can't Boot into Safe Mode (was Error Loading OS)

Thanks to Noel I can now boot into normal mode, but I still can't boot into
safe mode.

Whenever I try to boot into safe mode, I get the following error message:

"There is a problem with a system file. Windows may not be able to run
correctly. You may be able to fix it using System Restore. Otherwise
reinstall Windows. VxD dynamic link call: TEEFER(01) + 00020D40 to "0028,"
service 800A." Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run Windows Setup to
correct this problem. System halted."

I believe that this may have to do with incompatible, missing, or corrupted
device drivers, but I don't know how to determine which one(s). Any ideas?
Thanks!

Herman
8 answers Last reply
More about boot safe mode error loading

    TEEFER? Teefer.xxx is NOT part of WinMe

    May be worth taking a look at :-
    http://www.2-spyware.com/file-teefer-vxd.html

    BTW - There's plenty of Google hits on teefer and Sygates PF - could be
    related to your problem. Try also :-
    http://forums.sygatetech.com/vb/showthread.php?s=830188a1ea32beb5cfc9da2090a5a668&threadid=1934

    Mart

    "Herman Berliss, MD" <hberliss@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks to Noel I can now boot into normal mode, but I still can't boot
    > into
    > safe mode.
    >
    > Whenever I try to boot into safe mode, I get the following error message:
    >
    > "There is a problem with a system file. Windows may not be able to run
    > correctly. You may be able to fix it using System Restore. Otherwise
    > reinstall Windows. VxD dynamic link call: TEEFER(01) + 00020D40 to
    > "0028,"
    > service 800A." Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run Windows Setup
    > correct this problem. System halted."
    >
    > I believe that this may have to do with incompatible, missing, or
    > corrupted
    > device drivers, but I don't know how to determine which one(s). Any
    > ideas?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Herman

    Mart--

    Thanks for the info and links. I have uninstalled SPF and I no longer get
    that error message when I select safe mode.

    However, when I boot into what *appears* to be safe mode, programs like AVG,
    Palm Alarm, Hotsync, K9, etc. are all running in the background when they
    shouldn't be. I can see their icons in the system tray. Am I really in
    safe mode if this occurs? Is there a way to repair safe mode other than
    reinstalling the OS?

    Thanks again.

    Herman

    Herman wrote :-

    > However, when I boot into what *appears* to be safe mode...

    Does the screen say 'Safe Mode' in each corner of the display?

    If not then you are NOT in Safe Mode.

    For your information, the 'Official' MS method of starting in Safe Mode is
    by holding down or 'stabbing at' the Ctrl or the F8 keys, BUT you do need to
    do this IMMEDIATELY you power up your PC and keep 'stabbing' at them before
    the WinMe splash screen shows. You may even need to keep them pressed
    throughout the boot process. You could also try the same using the Shift
    key.

    Another alternative is when your machine is running in Normal Mode. Run
    msconfig.exe and on the General tab, select Advanced and check the 'Enable
    Startup Menu' box.

    Don't forget to uncheck the box when you've finished with it <g>

    > Mart--
    >
    > Thanks for the info and links. I have uninstalled SPF and I no longer get
    > that error message when I select safe mode.
    >
    > However, when I boot into what *appears* to be safe mode, programs like
    > AVG,
    > Palm Alarm, Hotsync, K9, etc. are all running in the background when they
    > shouldn't be. I can see their icons in the system tray. Am I really in
    > safe mode if this occurs? Is there a way to repair safe mode other than
    > reinstalling the OS?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Herman
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > | TEEFER? Teefer.xxx is NOT part of WinMe
    > |
    > | May be worth taking a look at :-
    > | http://www.2-spyware.com/file-teefer-vxd.html
    > |
    > | BTW - There's plenty of Google hits on teefer and Sygates PF - could be
    > | related to your problem. Try also :-
    > |
    > http://forums.sygatetech.com/vb/showthread.php?s=830188a1ea32beb5cfc9da2090a5a668&threadid=1934
    > |
    > | Mart
    > |

    > | "Herman Berliss, MD" <hberliss@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > | > Thanks to Noel I can now boot into normal mode, but I still can't boot
    > | > into
    > | > safe mode.
    > | >
    > | > Whenever I try to boot into safe mode, I get the following error
    > message:
    > | >
    > | > "There is a problem with a system file. Windows may not be able to
    > run
    > | > correctly. You may be able to fix it using System Restore. Otherwise
    > | > reinstall Windows. VxD dynamic link call: TEEFER(01) + 00020D40 to
    > | > "0028,"
    > | > service 800A." Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run Windows
    > Setup
    > | > correct this problem. System halted."
    > | >
    > | > I believe that this may have to do with incompatible, missing, or
    > | > corrupted
    > | > device drivers, but I don't know how to determine which one(s). Any
    > | > ideas?
    > | > Thanks!
    > | >
    > | > Herman

    Mart--

    I hold down control when booting up. The "WinME Startup Menu" appears. I
    select #3, safe mode. Text at the top of the screen indicates "windows is
    bypassing your startup files." However, the subsequent screen does *not*
    say safe mode in each corner.

    Any idea why I'm not getting into safe mode? Thanks!

    | Herman wrote :-
    |
    | > However, when I boot into what *appears* to be safe mode...
    |
    | Does the screen say 'Safe Mode' in each corner of the display?
    |
    | If not then you are NOT in Safe Mode.
    |
    | For your information, the 'Official' MS method of starting in Safe Mode is
    | by holding down or 'stabbing at' the Ctrl or the F8 keys, BUT you do need
    | do this IMMEDIATELY you power up your PC and keep 'stabbing' at them
    before
    | the WinMe splash screen shows. You may even need to keep them pressed
    | throughout the boot process. You could also try the same using the Shift
    | key.
    |
    | Another alternative is when your machine is running in Normal Mode. Run
    | msconfig.exe and on the General tab, select Advanced and check the 'Enable
    | Startup Menu' box.
    |
    | Don't forget to uncheck the box when you've finished with it <g>
    |
    | Mart
    |

    | "Herman Berliss, MD" <hberliss@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    | > Mart--
    | >
    | > Thanks for the info and links. I have uninstalled SPF and I no longer
    get
    | > that error message when I select safe mode.
    | >
    | > However, when I boot into what *appears* to be safe mode, programs like
    | > AVG,
    | > Palm Alarm, Hotsync, K9, etc. are all running in the background when
    they
    | > shouldn't be. I can see their icons in the system tray. Am I really in
    | > safe mode if this occurs? Is there a way to repair safe mode other than
    | > reinstalling the OS?
    | >
    | > Thanks again.
    | >
    | > Herman
    | >

    | > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | > | TEEFER? Teefer.xxx is NOT part of WinMe
    | > |
    | > | May be worth taking a look at :-
    | > | http://www.2-spyware.com/file-teefer-vxd.html
    | > |
    | > | BTW - There's plenty of Google hits on teefer and Sygates PF - could
    be
    | > | related to your problem. Try also :-
    | > |

    http://forums.sygatetech.com/vb/showthread.php?s=830188a1ea32beb5cfc9da2090a5a668&threadid=1934
    | > |
    | > | Mart
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Herman Berliss, MD" <hberliss@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

    | > message:

    | > run
    Otherwise
    | > Setup

    | > |
    | > |

    Herman wrote:-

    > ... However, the subsequent screen does *not*
    > say safe mode in each corner.
    >
    > Any idea why I'm not getting into safe mode? Thanks!

    Frankly, No. - Other than maybe, some other utility/application is
    'overriding' option #3 (which also could explain "However, when I boot into
    what *appears* to be safe mode, programs like AVG, Palm Alarm, Hotsync, K9,
    etc. are all running in the background when they shouldn't be.")

    Or (and I haven't got TweakUI for WinMe here to confirm, but) I *think*
    TweakUI *may* have an option to 'turn-off' the Safe Mode alerts.

    Pass - Mart

> [...]
    > 'Enable
    > | Startup Menu' box.
    > |
    > | Don't forget to uncheck the box when you've finished with it <g>
    > |
    > | Mart
    > |

    > | "Herman Berliss, MD" <hberliss@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > | > Mart--
    > | >
    > | > Thanks for the info and links. I have uninstalled SPF and I no longer
    > get
    > | > that error message when I select safe mode.
    > | >
    > | > However, when I boot into what *appears* to be safe mode, programs
    > like
    > | > AVG,
    > | > Palm Alarm, Hotsync, K9, etc. are all running in the background when
    > they
    > | > shouldn't be. I can see their icons in the system tray. Am I really
    > in
    > | > safe mode if this occurs? Is there a way to repair safe mode other

    Or - clutching at a couple of straws - do you have a disk overlay utility,
    maybe?

    Wasn't GoBack an issue somewhere along the line?

    I've lost much of your previous thread, but seem to recall quite a catalogue
    of issues. Clean install perhaps?

    I'll just go and open a fresh bale <g>

    Mart

> [...]
    >> |
    >> | If not then you are NOT in Safe Mode.
    >> |
    >> | For your information, the 'Official' MS method of starting in Safe Mode
    >> is
    >> | by holding down or 'stabbing at' the Ctrl or the F8 keys, BUT you do
    >> need
    >> | do this IMMEDIATELY you power up your PC and keep 'stabbing' at them
    >> before
    >> | the WinMe splash screen shows. You may even need to keep them pressed
    >> | throughout the boot process. You could also try the same using the
    >> Shift
    >> | key.
    >> |
    >> | Another alternative is when your machine is running in Normal Mode. Run
    >> | msconfig.exe and on the General tab, select Advanced and check the
    >> 'Enable
    >> | Startup Menu' box.
    >> |
    >> | Don't forget to uncheck the box when you've finished with it <g>

    Vague recollections of a similar problem some time ago which was linked to
    video driver.

    Again, I don't have a complete copy of your previous thread, but recall a
    mention of updated drivers. See if you can revert back to the 'original'
    (OEM?) drivers.

    If necessary disable/uninstall any non-WinMe applications in your Start-up
    axis. See if there's anything (odd) listed in msconfig.

    Mart

    > Or - clutching at a couple of straws - do you have a disk overlay utility,
    > maybe?
    >
    > Wasn't GoBack an issue somewhere along the line?
    >
    > I've lost much of your previous thread, but seem to recall quite a
    > catalogue of issues. Clean install perhaps?
    >
    > I'll just go and open a fresh bale <g>
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Herman wrote:-
    >>
    >>> ... However, the subsequent screen does *not*
    >>> say safe mode in each corner.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea why I'm not getting into safe mode? Thanks!
    >>
    >> Frankly, No. - Other than maybe, some other utility/application is
    >> 'overriding' option #3 (which also could explain "However, when I boot
    >> into what *appears* to be safe mode, programs like AVG, Palm Alarm,
    >> Hotsync, K9, etc. are all running in the background when they shouldn't
    >> be.")
    >>
    >> Or (and I haven't got TweakUI for WinMe here to confirm, but) I *think*
    >> TweakUI *may* have an option to 'turn-off' the Safe Mode alerts.
    >>
    >> Pass - Mart
    >>

    >> "Herman Berliss, MD" <hberliss@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> Mart--
    >>>
    >>> I hold down control when booting up. The "WinME Startup Menu" appears.
    >>> select #3, safe mode. Text at the top of the screen indicates "windows
    >>> is
    >>> bypassing your startup files." However, the subsequent screen does
    >>> *not*
    >>> say safe mode in each corner.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea why I'm not getting into safe mode? Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Herman
    >>>

    >>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >>> Mode is
    >>> need
    >>> before
    >>> Shift

    >>> Run
    >>> 'Enable

    >>> longer
    >>> get

    >>> like
    >>> they
    >>> really in
    >>> than

    >>> | > |
    >>> | > |
    >>> could
    >>> be
    >>> | > |

    >>> http://forums.sygatetech.com/vb/showthread.php?s=830188a1ea32beb5cfc9da2090a5a668&threadid=1934
    >>> | > |
    >>> | > |
    >>> | > |
    >>> can't
    >>> boot

    >>> Otherwise
    >>> 00020D40 to
    >>> Windows

    >>> or
    >>> Any

    >>> | > |
    >>> | > |

    AFAIK I do not have a disk overlay utility. GoBack was uninstalled a few
    days ago; I'm using System Restore from now on. I think I'm about ready for
    a clean install of either WinME or WinXP. :-)

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | Or - clutching at a couple of straws - do you have a disk overlay utility,
    | maybe?
    |
    | Wasn't GoBack an issue somewhere along the line?
    |
    | I've lost much of your previous thread, but seem to recall quite a
    catalogue
    | of issues. Clean install perhaps?
    |
    | I'll just go and open a fresh bale <g>
    |
    | Mart
    |

    | "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | > Herman wrote:-
    | >
    | >> ... However, the subsequent screen does *not*
    | >> say safe mode in each corner.
    | >>
    | >> Any idea why I'm not getting into safe mode? Thanks!
    | >
    | > Frankly, No. - Other than maybe, some other utility/application is
    | > 'overriding' option #3 (which also could explain "However, when I boot
    | > into what *appears* to be safe mode, programs like AVG, Palm Alarm,
    | > Hotsync, K9, etc. are all running in the background when they shouldn't
    | > be.")
    | >
    | > Or (and I haven't got TweakUI for WinMe here to confirm, but) I *think*
    | > TweakUI *may* have an option to 'turn-off' the Safe Mode alerts.
    | >
    | > Pass - Mart
    | >

    | > "Herman Berliss, MD" <hberliss@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    | >> Mart--
    | >>
    | >> I hold down control when booting up. The "WinME Startup Menu" appears.
    | >> select #3, safe mode. Text at the top of the screen indicates "windows
    | >> is
    | >> bypassing your startup files." However, the subsequent screen does
    *not*
    | >> say safe mode in each corner.
    | >>
    | >> Any idea why I'm not getting into safe mode? Thanks!
    | >>
    | >> Herman
    | >>

    | >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | >> |
    | >> |