pc problems after g card upgrade + sp2

i have recently changed my graphics card ti4200 to a 9600 and since then i
have had lots of problems my coputer. it takes ages to load (the windows
loadsing screen bar goes by 30 times) some games take ages to load up but
then seem to play alright.meadia player 10 jutters a bit. at first i
thought that it was just the nvidia to ati switch and splated my pc to start
again and that seemed to help but my pc seems to have got worst and worst
again some times it seems to be fine then it wont be next log on. i have
tested the memory and run scan disk on both hds i dont think it is over
heating as i have monitored the temps with speed fan. i think that the
motherboard may be the problem but have know way of telling as it could be
the g card (puting the old card in does not seem to help)

pc is
amd 2500
epox NVIDIA nForce2 8rda+ (onboad sound on)(using the onboard ethernet to
connect to my dsl router)
Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
RADEON connect 9600 xt
WDC WD1200BB-00DAA3 (120.0GB)(primary)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 (82.0GB)(slave)
and a lite on dvd writer and creative dvd player
9 answers Last reply
More about problems card upgrade

    this would be the classic scenario of nvidia driver files being left
    behind and the ATI card is suffering from it

    "ben reed" <ben.reed3@remove mevirgin.net> wrote in message
    > i have recently changed my graphics card ti4200 to a 9600 and since
    then i
    > have had lots of problems my coputer. it takes ages to load (the
    windows
    > loadsing screen bar goes by 30 times) some games take ages to load
    up but
    > then seem to play alright.meadia player 10 jutters a bit. at first
    > thought that it was just the nvidia to ati switch and splated my pc
    to start
    > again and that seemed to help but my pc seems to have got worst and
    worst
    > again some times it seems to be fine then it wont be next log on. i
    have
    > tested the memory and run scan disk on both hds i dont think it is
    over
    > heating as i have monitored the temps with speed fan. i think that
    the
    > motherboard may be the problem but have know way of telling as it
    could be
    > the g card (puting the old card in does not seem to help)
    >
    > pc is
    > amd 2500
    > epox NVIDIA nForce2 8rda+ (onboad sound on)(using the onboard
    ethernet to
    > connect to my dsl router)
    > Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
    > RADEON connect 9600 xt
    > WDC WD1200BB-00DAA3 (120.0GB)(primary)
    > Maxtor 6Y080L0 (82.0GB)(slave)
    > and a lite on dvd writer and creative dvd player

    "ben reed" <ben.reed3@remove mevirgin.net> wrote in message
    >i have recently changed my graphics card ti4200 to a 9600 and since then i
    >have had lots of problems my coputer. it takes ages to load (the windows
    >loadsing screen bar goes by 30 times) some games take ages to load up but
    >then seem to play alright.meadia player 10 jutters a bit. at first i
    >thought that it was just the nvidia to ati switch and splated my pc to
    >start again and that seemed to help but my pc seems to have got worst and
    >worst again some times it seems to be fine then it wont be next log on. i
    >have tested the memory and run scan disk on both hds i dont think it is
    >over heating as i have monitored the temps with speed fan. i think that
    >the motherboard may be the problem but have know way of telling as it could
    >be the g card (puting the old card in does not seem to help)
    >
    > pc is
    > amd 2500
    > epox NVIDIA nForce2 8rda+ (onboad sound on)(using the onboard ethernet to
    > connect to my dsl router)
    > Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
    > RADEON connect 9600 xt
    > WDC WD1200BB-00DAA3 (120.0GB)(primary)
    > Maxtor 6Y080L0 (82.0GB)(slave)
    > and a lite on dvd writer and creative dvd player

    Did you remove the old TI 4200 drivers before adding the 9600.?
    JPS

    "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "ben reed" <ben.reed3@remove mevirgin.net> wrote in message
    > >i have recently changed my graphics card ti4200 to a 9600 and since then
    > >have had lots of problems my coputer. it takes ages to load (the windows
    > >loadsing screen bar goes by 30 times) some games take ages to load up but
    > >then seem to play alright.meadia player 10 jutters a bit. at first i
    > >thought that it was just the nvidia to ati switch and splated my pc to
    > >start again and that seemed to help but my pc seems to have got worst and
    > >worst again some times it seems to be fine then it wont be next log on.
    > >have tested the memory and run scan disk on both hds i dont think it is
    > >over heating as i have monitored the temps with speed fan. i think that
    > >the motherboard may be the problem but have know way of telling as it
    could
    > >be the g card (puting the old card in does not seem to help)
    > >
    > > pc is
    > > amd 2500
    > > epox NVIDIA nForce2 8rda+ (onboad sound on)(using the onboard ethernet
    > > connect to my dsl router)
    > > Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
    > > RADEON connect 9600 xt
    > > WDC WD1200BB-00DAA3 (120.0GB)(primary)
    > > Maxtor 6Y080L0 (82.0GB)(slave)
    > > and a lite on dvd writer and creative dvd player
    > >
    > Did you remove the old TI 4200 drivers before adding the 9600.?
    > JPS

    What PSU? Your spec requires a GOOD quality 300W PSU minimum.
    Mike.

    no i did not (stupid i know) but i have compleatly reinstalled since then
    "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "ben reed" <ben.reed3@remove mevirgin.net> wrote in message
    >>i have recently changed my graphics card ti4200 to a 9600 and since then i
    >>have had lots of problems my coputer. it takes ages to load (the windows
    >>loadsing screen bar goes by 30 times) some games take ages to load up but
    >>then seem to play alright.meadia player 10 jutters a bit. at first i
    >>thought that it was just the nvidia to ati switch and splated my pc to
    >>start again and that seemed to help but my pc seems to have got worst and
    >>worst again some times it seems to be fine then it wont be next log on. i
    >>have tested the memory and run scan disk on both hds i dont think it is
    >>over heating as i have monitored the temps with speed fan. i think that
    >>the motherboard may be the problem but have know way of telling as it
    >>could be the g card (puting the old card in does not seem to help)
    >>
    >> pc is
    >> amd 2500
    >> epox NVIDIA nForce2 8rda+ (onboad sound on)(using the onboard ethernet to
    >> connect to my dsl router)
    >> Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
    >> RADEON connect 9600 xt
    >> WDC WD1200BB-00DAA3 (120.0GB)(primary)
    >> Maxtor 6Y080L0 (82.0GB)(slave)
    >> and a lite on dvd writer and creative dvd player
    >>
    > Did you remove the old TI 4200 drivers before adding the 9600.?
    > JPS

    i do have a good 300psw but it is geting on a bit but seems alright and the
    voltages on bio seem fine

    "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ben reed" <ben.reed3@remove mevirgin.net> wrote in message
    >> >i have recently changed my graphics card ti4200 to a 9600 and since then
    >> >have had lots of problems my coputer. it takes ages to load (the
    >> >windows
    >> >loadsing screen bar goes by 30 times) some games take ages to load up
    >> >but
    >> >then seem to play alright.meadia player 10 jutters a bit. at first i
    >> >thought that it was just the nvidia to ati switch and splated my pc to
    >> >start again and that seemed to help but my pc seems to have got worst
    >> >and
    >> >worst again some times it seems to be fine then it wont be next log on.
    >> >have tested the memory and run scan disk on both hds i dont think it is
    >> >over heating as i have monitored the temps with speed fan. i think that
    >> >the motherboard may be the problem but have know way of telling as it
    > could
    >> >be the g card (puting the old card in does not seem to help)
    >> >
    >> > pc is
    >> > amd 2500
    >> > epox NVIDIA nForce2 8rda+ (onboad sound on)(using the onboard ethernet
    >> > connect to my dsl router)
    >> > Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
    >> > RADEON connect 9600 xt
    >> > WDC WD1200BB-00DAA3 (120.0GB)(primary)
    >> > Maxtor 6Y080L0 (82.0GB)(slave)
    >> > and a lite on dvd writer and creative dvd player
    >> >
    >> Did you remove the old TI 4200 drivers before adding the 9600.?
    >> JPS
    >>
    > What PSU? Your spec requires a GOOD quality 300W PSU minimum.
    > Mike.

    but i have compleatly reinstalled my pc ie formatted hd1 + 2 then installed
    xp
    "JAD" <Hrhackthespam@witchiepoo.broom> wrote in message
    > this would be the classic scenario of nvidia driver files being left
    > behind and the ATI card is suffering from it
    >
    > "ben reed" <ben.reed3@remove mevirgin.net> wrote in message
    >> i have recently changed my graphics card ti4200 to a 9600 and since
    > then i
    >> have had lots of problems my coputer. it takes ages to load (the
    > windows
    >> loadsing screen bar goes by 30 times) some games take ages to load
    > up but
    >> then seem to play alright.meadia player 10 jutters a bit. at first
    >> thought that it was just the nvidia to ati switch and splated my pc
    > to start
    >> again and that seemed to help but my pc seems to have got worst and
    > worst
    >> again some times it seems to be fine then it wont be next log on. i
    > have
    >> tested the memory and run scan disk on both hds i dont think it is
    > over
    >> heating as i have monitored the temps with speed fan. i think that
    > the
    >> motherboard may be the problem but have know way of telling as it
    > could be
    >> the g card (puting the old card in does not seem to help)
    >>
    >> pc is
    >> amd 2500
    >> epox NVIDIA nForce2 8rda+ (onboad sound on)(using the onboard
    > ethernet to
    >> connect to my dsl router)
    >> Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
    >> RADEON connect 9600 xt
    >> WDC WD1200BB-00DAA3 (120.0GB)(primary)
    >> Maxtor 6Y080L0 (82.0GB)(slave)
    >> and a lite on dvd writer and creative dvd player

    splated my pc
    > > to start
    > >> again

    ahhh a bit of info i missed in your post, honestly didn't know what
    that meant.

    ok then

    Reset bios? Reset configuration data after hardware change?

    FAST writes enabled?

    Aperture set way high?

    > but i have compleatly reinstalled my pc ie formatted hd1 + 2 then
    installed
    > xp

    > "JAD" <Hrhackthespam@witchiepoo.broom> wrote in message
    > > this would be the classic scenario of nvidia driver files being
    left
    > > behind and the ATI card is suffering from it
    > >
    > > "ben reed" <ben.reed3@remove mevirgin.net> wrote in message
    > >> i have recently changed my graphics card ti4200 to a 9600 and
    since
    > > then i
    > >> have had lots of problems my coputer. it takes ages to load (the
    > > windows
    > >> loadsing screen bar goes by 30 times) some games take ages to
    load
    > > up but
    > >> then seem to play alright.meadia player 10 jutters a bit. at
    first
    > >> thought that it was just the nvidia to ati switch and splated my
    pc
    > > to start
    > >> again and that seemed to help but my pc seems to have got worst
    and
    > > worst
    > >> again some times it seems to be fine then it wont be next log on.
    > > have
    > >> tested the memory and run scan disk on both hds i dont think it
    is
    > > over
    > >> heating as i have monitored the temps with speed fan. i think
    that
    > > the
    > >> motherboard may be the problem but have know way of telling as it
    > > could be
    > >> the g card (puting the old card in does not seem to help)
    > >>
    > >> pc is
    > >> amd 2500
    > >> epox NVIDIA nForce2 8rda+ (onboad sound on)(using the onboard
    > > ethernet to
    > >> connect to my dsl router)
    > >> Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
    > >> RADEON connect 9600 xt
    > >> WDC WD1200BB-00DAA3 (120.0GB)(primary)
    > >> Maxtor 6Y080L0 (82.0GB)(slave)
    > >> and a lite on dvd writer and creative dvd player

    just did a boot log and it says

    i know it falls to install a load of drivers which seem to be from my mobo
    and some from my g card but why and how do i fix this
    Service Pack 210 25 2004 20:18:38.500
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
    Loaded driver ACPI.sys
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
    Loaded driver pci.sys
    Loaded driver isapnp.sys
    Loaded driver ohci1394.sys
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\1394BUS.SYS
    Loaded driver pciide.sys
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
    Loaded driver MountMgr.sys
    Loaded driver ftdisk.sys
    Loaded driver PartMgr.sys
    Loaded driver VolSnap.sys
    Loaded driver atapi.sys
    Loaded driver nvidesm.sys
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\SCSIPORT.SYS
    Loaded driver disk.sys
    Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
    Loaded driver fltmgr.sys
    Loaded driver sr.sys
    Loaded driver KSecDD.sys
    Loaded driver Ntfs.sys
    Loaded driver NDIS.sys
    Loaded driver sfhlp01.sys
    Loaded driver prohlp02.sys
    Loaded driver nv_agp.sys
    Loaded driver Mup.sys
    Loaded driver giveio.sys
    Did not load driver ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    Did not load driver Audio Codecs
    Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
    Did not load driver Media Control Devices
    Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Did not load driver Video Codecs
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Did not load driver Direct Parallel
    Did not load driver Audio Codecs
    Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
    Did not load driver Media Control Devices
    Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Did not load driver Video Codecs
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Did not load driver Direct Parallel
    Did not load driver AMD K7 Processor
[...]
    Did not load driver NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
    Did not load driver OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Did not load driver Communications Port
    Did not load driver Communications Port
    Did not load driver Printer Port
    Did not load driver Standard Game Port
    Did not load driver MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
[...]
    Did not load driver Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
    Did not load driver Creative Game Port
[...]
    Did not load driver RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Did not load driver RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary
[...]
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\usbohci.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys
    Did not load driver NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
    Did not load driver Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
    Did not load driver Creative Game Port
    Did not load driver OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
    Did not load driver OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Did not load driver RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Did not load driver RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\fdc.sys
    Did not load driver Communications Port
    Did not load driver Communications Port
    Did not load driver Printer Port
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
    Did not load driver Standard Game Port
    Did not load driver MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    Did not load driver Audio Codecs
    Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
    Did not load driver Media Control Devices
    Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Did not load driver Video Codecs
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Did not load driver Direct Parallel
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\update.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys
    Did not load driver AMD K7 Processor
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
[...]
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
    Did not load driver mnmdd.SYS
    Did not load driver RDPCDD.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS
    Did not load driver RasAcd.SYS
    Did not load driver IPSec.SYS
    Did not load driver Tcpip.SYS
    Did not load driver NetBT.SYS
    Did not load driver AFD.SYS
    Did not load driver NetBIOS.SYS
    Did not load driver Serial.SYS
    Did not load driver Processor.SYS
    Did not load driver AmdK7.SYS
    Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
    Did not load driver Rdbss.SYS
    Did not load driver prodrv06.SYS
    Did not load driver MRxSmb.SYS
    Did not load driver Fips.SYS
    Did not load driver ATITool.SYS
[...]
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdfs.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\usbprint.sys
    Did not load driver EPSONStylus COLOR 580
    Did not load driver AMD K7 Processor
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\hidusb.sys
[...]
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mouhid.sys
[...]
    Service Pack 210 25 2004 20:19:55.500
[...]
    Did not load driver OHCI Compliant...(message truncated)

    sorry problem solved my drivers had almost all become curupt some how
    rerereinstalled them and know fine thank you
    "ben reed" <ben.reed3@remove mevirgin.net> wrote in message
    >i have recently changed my graphics card ti4200 to a 9600 and since then i
    >have had lots of problems my coputer. it takes ages to load (the windows
    >loadsing screen bar goes by 30 times) some games take ages to load up but
    >then seem to play alright.meadia player 10 jutters a bit. at first i
    >thought that it was just the nvidia to ati switch and splated my pc to
    >start again and that seemed to help but my pc seems to have got worst and
    >worst again some times it seems to be fine then it wont be next log on. i
    >have tested the memory and run scan disk on both hds i dont think it is
    >over heating as i have monitored the temps with speed fan. i think that
    >the motherboard may be the problem but have know way of telling as it could
    >be the g card (puting the old card in does not seem to help)
    >
    > pc is
    > amd 2500
    > epox NVIDIA nForce2 8rda+ (onboad sound on)(using the onboard ethernet to
    > connect to my dsl router)
    > Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
    > RADEON connect 9600 xt
    > WDC WD1200BB-00DAA3 (120.0GB)(primary)
    > Maxtor 6Y080L0 (82.0GB)(slave)
    > and a lite on dvd writer and creative dvd player

Homebuilt Systems