Windows explorer causes kernel 32.dll fault?

Is it possible for me to fix this without re-formating my hard drive? I am
unable to do just about everything as fault window is always on top and I
cannot get it to go away. I use Windows ME, have plenty of Ram and hard
drive space. Problem was caused when I updated a McAfee antispyware.
Unfortunately, their techs are almost useless.
8 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer kernel fault

    Troubleshooting Kernel32.dll errors and Invalid Page Faults
    http://www.all-windows.com/kernel32.html

    Try uninstalling the McAfee antispyware. If it cures the ill then you
    can reinstall it and never mind the update that caused the bug.

    John

    officeman3 wrote:

    > Is it possible for me to fix this without re-formating my hard drive? I am
    > unable to do just about everything as fault window is always on top and I
    > cannot get it to go away. I use Windows ME, have plenty of Ram and hard
    > drive space. Problem was caused when I updated a McAfee antispyware.
    > Unfortunately, their techs are almost useless.

    I have been using McAfee products since versions 2.0 and 1996, so I am not
    trying to be too negative. For those thinking of using product,
    un-installing the Antispyware does not help. Whatever modifications that
    installing does, you cannot un-install. It's one of the problems they have
    with their newest version.

    I will try and figure out how to extract a new copy of kernel32.dll

    "John John" wrote:

    > Troubleshooting Kernel32.dll errors and Invalid Page Faults
    > http://www.all-windows.com/kernel32.html
    >
    > Try uninstalling the McAfee antispyware. If it cures the ill then you
    > can reinstall it and never mind the update that caused the bug.
    >
    > John
    >
    > officeman3 wrote:
    >
    > > Is it possible for me to fix this without re-formating my hard drive? I am
    > > unable to do just about everything as fault window is always on top and I
    > > cannot get it to go away. I use Windows ME, have plenty of Ram and hard
    > > drive space. Problem was caused when I updated a McAfee antispyware.
    > > Unfortunately, their techs are almost useless.

    I am in trouble. I tried extracting a new kernel32.dll by msconfig method
    and from CD. Neither worked as windows would not let be replace kernel32.dll
    while in use.

    Also tried using windows ME startup disk which is suppose to have extracting
    element to it? When I booted up from off with startup disk in, my computer
    booted to windows ME desktop? What's with that??? When I boot to windows Me
    desktop, I get error window: explorer has caused an error in kernel32.dll.
    Explorer will now close, but this window cannot be closed? I did delete
    McAfee Antispyware which caused original problem. Still have same problem.
    Sure could use any suggestion that might work???

    "officeman3" wrote:

    > I have been using McAfee products since versions 2.0 and 1996, so I am not
    > trying to be too negative. For those thinking of using product,
    > un-installing the Antispyware does not help. Whatever modifications that
    > installing does, you cannot un-install. It's one of the problems they have
    > with their newest version.
    >
    > I will try and figure out how to extract a new copy of kernel32.dll
    >
    > "John John" wrote:
    >
    > > Troubleshooting Kernel32.dll errors and Invalid Page Faults
    > > http://www.all-windows.com/kernel32.html
    > >
    > > Try uninstalling the McAfee antispyware. If it cures the ill then you
    > > can reinstall it and never mind the update that caused the bug.
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > officeman3 wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is it possible for me to fix this without re-formating my hard drive? I am
    > > > unable to do just about everything as fault window is always on top and I
    > > > cannot get it to go away. I use Windows ME, have plenty of Ram and hard
    > > > drive space. Problem was caused when I updated a McAfee antispyware.
    > > > Unfortunately, their techs are almost useless.

    How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;265371

    or from a Command Prompt Start:

    "Extract Files By Using Startup Disk
    To start your computer with CD-ROM support, and then extract files,
    follow these steps:
    1. Insert the Windows Millennium Edition startup disk into drive A, and
    then restart your computer.
    2. When the Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition Startup menu appears,
    click Start computer with CD-ROM support.

    Note If you purchased your computer with Windows Millennium Edition
    installed, the cabinet files may be installed in the
    Windows\Options\Install folder: If these files are on your computer, you
    do not have to have CD-ROM support at this step, and you can extract the
    files that you must have from the Windows\Options\Install folder. Click
    Start computer without CD-ROM support, and then continue to step 4
    without using step 3.
    3. Insert the Windows Millennium Edition CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
    4. At the command prompt, type ext, press ENTER, and then follow the
    instructions on the screen."

    HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files

    When you boot with the ME boot disk you have to chose the proper boot
    option. If it doesn't work then your ME boot disk may be "broken". Try
    downloading one from bootdisk.com. You have to create the boot disk
    with the file you download.

    How did you "delete" that McAffee Anti Spyware? Do you mean that you
    removed it with the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel?

    John

    officeman3 wrote:

    > I am in trouble. I tried extracting a new kernel32.dll by msconfig method
    > and from CD. Neither worked as windows would not let be replace kernel32.dll
    > while in use.
    >
    > Also tried using windows ME startup disk which is suppose to have extracting
    > element to it? When I booted up from off with startup disk in, my computer
    > booted to windows ME desktop? What's with that??? When I boot to windows Me
    > desktop, I get error window: explorer has caused an error in kernel32.dll.
    > Explorer will now close, but this window cannot be closed? I did delete
    > McAfee Antispyware which caused original problem. Still have same problem.
    > Sure could use any suggestion that might work???
    >
    > "officeman3" wrote:
    >

    >>I have been using McAfee products since versions 2.0 and 1996, so I am not
    >>trying to be too negative. For those thinking of using product,
    >>un-installing the Antispyware does not help. Whatever modifications that
    >>installing does, you cannot un-install. It's one of the problems they have
    >>with their newest version.
    >>
    >>I will try and figure out how to extract a new copy of kernel32.dll
    >>
    >>"John John" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Troubleshooting Kernel32.dll errors and Invalid Page Faults
    >>>http://www.all-windows.com/kernel32.html
    >>>
    >>>Try uninstalling the McAfee antispyware. If it cures the ill then you
    >>>can reinstall it and never mind the update that caused the bug.
    >>>
    >>>John

    I downloaded a startup disk. It does not work. I created a startup disk on
    day one of my computer and last night. Neither of them work either.

    I deleted McAfee Antispyware through control panel. That was my only
    option. Looking at McAfee support forum, I am not the only one who had this
    problem created by their software. Not that it helps me much to not be
    alone. McAfee's answer to problem is to contact Microsoft. Great.

    My computer came OEM version of windows 98. I purchased windows ME upgrade
    disk about 3 years ago. Last year I had a bad on board modem and had a
    company (now out of business) try to fix it. Eventually I went to external
    modem. While this company tried to fix my on board (motherboard) modem, they
    messed up windows me. They solved the problem by reformatting my harddrive
    with one of their disks (as I was out of town and did not take my windows me
    & 98 disks over to them). Would this have any reason or cause that my
    startup disks do not work?

    If I put my windows me upgrade disk into my computer, will I get an option
    to reformat my hard drive? I hate to mess things up any more than they are?

    Again, thanks for your attention and suggestions!

    "John John" wrote:

    > How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows Me
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;265371
    >
    > or from a Command Prompt Start:
    >
    > "Extract Files By Using Startup Disk
    > To start your computer with CD-ROM support, and then extract files,
    > follow these steps:
    > 1. Insert the Windows Millennium Edition startup disk into drive A, and
    > then restart your computer.
    > 2. When the Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition Startup menu appears,
    > click Start computer with CD-ROM support.
    >
    > Note If you purchased your computer with Windows Millennium Edition
    > installed, the cabinet files may be installed in the
    > Windows\Options\Install folder: If these files are on your computer, you
    > do not have to have CD-ROM support at this step, and you can extract the
    > files that you must have from the Windows\Options\Install folder. Click
    > Start computer without CD-ROM support, and then continue to step 4
    > without using step 3.
    > 3. Insert the Windows Millennium Edition CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
    > 4. At the command prompt, type ext, press ENTER, and then follow the
    > instructions on the screen."
    >
    > HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
    >
    > When you boot with the ME boot disk you have to chose the proper boot
    > option. If it doesn't work then your ME boot disk may be "broken". Try
    > downloading one from bootdisk.com. You have to create the boot disk
    > with the file you download.
    >
    > How did you "delete" that McAffee Anti Spyware? Do you mean that you
    > removed it with the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel?
    >
    > John
    >
    > officeman3 wrote:
    >
    > > I am in trouble. I tried extracting a new kernel32.dll by msconfig method
    > > and from CD. Neither worked as windows would not let be replace kernel32.dll
    > > while in use.
    > >
    > > Also tried using windows ME startup disk which is suppose to have extracting
    > > element to it? When I booted up from off with startup disk in, my computer
    > > booted to windows ME desktop? What's with that??? When I boot to windows Me
    > > desktop, I get error window: explorer has caused an error in kernel32.dll.
    > > Explorer will now close, but this window cannot be closed? I did delete
    > > McAfee Antispyware which caused original problem. Still have same problem.
    > > Sure could use any suggestion that might work???
    > >
    > > "officeman3" wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have been using McAfee products since versions 2.0 and 1996, so I am not
    > >>trying to be too negative. For those thinking of using product,
    > >>un-installing the Antispyware does not help. Whatever modifications that
    > >>installing does, you cannot un-install. It's one of the problems they have
    > >>with their newest version.
    > >>
    > >>I will try and figure out how to extract a new copy of kernel32.dll

    Something isn't right here... look in the BIOS and make sure that the
    system is set to boot to the diskette first (in the Boot Sequence or
    Boot Order). Any ME (or other) boot disk should be able to boot the pc.
    If the diskette is already first in the boot sequence you have more
    than a windows problem.

    John

    officeman3 wrote:
> [...]
    >>removed it with the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel?
    >>
    >>John
    >>
    >>officeman3 wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am in trouble. I tried extracting a new kernel32.dll by msconfig method
    >>>and from CD. Neither worked as windows would not let be replace kernel32.dll
    >>>while in use.
    >>>
    >>>Also tried using windows ME startup disk which is suppose to have extracting
    >>>element to it? When I booted up from off with startup disk in, my computer
    >>>booted to windows ME desktop? What's with that??? When I boot to windows Me
    >>>desktop, I get error window: explorer has caused an error in kernel32.dll.
    >>>Explorer will now close, but this window cannot be closed? I did delete
    >>>McAfee Antispyware which caused original problem. Still have same problem.
    >>>Sure could use any suggestion that might work???

    Thanks much for your help! For some reason, "boot by floppy" was turned off.
    I turned it on and was able to extract a new copy of kernell32.dll from
    install files using startup disk. This worked according to your first link
    above concerning help. Problem is fixed! I would not have thought to check
    "boot by floppy" option. Thanks again. I am not putting McAfee Antispyware
    back on my computer. The latest update sent from them had caused the problem
    (experienced by a dozen other users).

    You're welcome.

    John

    officeman3 wrote:

    > Thanks much for your help! For some reason, "boot by floppy" was turned off.
    > I turned it on and was able to extract a new copy of kernell32.dll from
    > install files using startup disk. This worked according to your first link
    > above concerning help. Problem is fixed! I would not have thought to check
    > "boot by floppy" option. Thanks again. I am not putting McAfee Antispyware
    > back on my computer. The latest update sent from them had caused the problem
    > (experienced by a dozen other users).

Windows Explorer Windows