anti virus protection that's free?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 24, 2005 1:28:24 AM

Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm having
loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.

Josh
February 24, 2005 1:28:25 AM

Take a look at...

avast! 4 Home Edition:

eTrust EZ Antivirus (Free license for one year):

http://home.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=PYPCTrial...

AVG Antivirus:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

A number of users in this NG use eTrust EZ Antivirus, including myself.
I've not used avast! recently but liked earlier versions that I've
used. AVG generally receives favorable reviews, but I've not used it
myself. Take a look at each. The final selection is yours to make.
They're all good products.

Josh Lott wrote:
> Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm having
> loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
> recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
> help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
> WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.
>
> Josh

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:40:57 AM

Casting my vote of confidence on TomV's suggestions. I am using eTrust EZAV
and have had a few minor program conflicts, all of which were remedied by
placing the AV in the 'snooze' mode (inactive). A friend of mine is using
Avast! and is very pleased with it.
Heirloom, old and, uh, I forgot

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Take a look at...
>
> avast! 4 Home Edition:

> eTrust EZ Antivirus (Free license for one year):

http://home.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=PYPCTrial...

> AVG Antivirus:
>
> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>
> A number of users in this NG use eTrust EZ Antivirus, including myself.
> I've not used avast! recently but liked earlier versions that I've
> used. AVG generally receives favorable reviews, but I've not used it
> myself. Take a look at each. The final selection is yours to make.
> They're all good products.
>
> Josh Lott wrote:
> > Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm having
> > loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
> > recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
> > help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
> > WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.
> >
> > Josh

Related resources
February 24, 2005 2:07:07 AM

Could try AntiVir from http://free-av.com/
"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> Casting my vote of confidence on TomV's suggestions. I am using eTrust
> EZAV
> and have had a few minor program conflicts, all of which were remedied by
> placing the AV in the 'snooze' mode (inactive). A friend of mine is using
> Avast! and is very pleased with it.
> Heirloom, old and, uh, I forgot
>
> "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Take a look at...
>>
>> avast! 4 Home Edition:

>> eTrust EZ Antivirus (Free license for one year):
>>

> http://home.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=PYPCTrial...
>>
>> AVG Antivirus:
>>
>> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>>
>> A number of users in this NG use eTrust EZ Antivirus, including myself.
>> I've not used avast! recently but liked earlier versions that I've
>> used. AVG generally receives favorable reviews, but I've not used it
>> myself. Take a look at each. The final selection is yours to make.
>> They're all good products.
>>
>> Josh Lott wrote:
>> > Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm
>> > having
>> > loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
>> > recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
>> > help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
>> > WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.
>> >
>> > Josh

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 9:58:50 AM

Here is a list. CA eTrust tops this list and is recomended.

ClamWin -
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/clamwin/clamwin-0.37... - FREE

AVAST -

AntiVir -
http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE

AVG -
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE

CA eTrust -
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
{ Free offer ends 8/1/05 }

--
Dave

"Josh Lott" <josh.lott@noaa.gov> wrote in message
news:o TMViCiGFHA.3088@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm having
| loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
| recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
| help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
| WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.
|
| Josh

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:02:50 PM

Thanks everyone. I am an infrequent visitor to this forum, but every
time I come I get quick, useful advice.

I may be back if I can't work out the drivers for my new Linksys
ethernet card....

David H. Lipman wrote:
> Here is a list. CA eTrust tops this list and is recomended.
>

> ClamWin -
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/clamwin/clamwin-0.37... - FREE
>
> AVAST -
>
> AntiVir -
> http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE
>
> AVG -
> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
>
> CA eTrust -
> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
> { Free offer ends 8/1/05 }

February 24, 2005 5:04:20 PM

Josh,

You're welcome. If you use Zonealarm, you may want to hold off on
trying avast! 4.6. Apparently, there is a conflict between the avast!
Webshield and Zonealarm firewall. There are numerous posts in other NGs
including avast's forum reporting problems. Avast is aware of the issue.

Tom

Josh Lott wrote:
> Thanks everyone. I am an infrequent visitor to this forum, but every
> time I come I get quick, useful advice.
>
> I may be back if I can't work out the drivers for my new Linksys
> ethernet card....
February 24, 2005 6:34:10 PM

"Josh Lott" <josh.lott@noaa.gov> wrote in message
news:o TMViCiGFHA.3088@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm having
> loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
> recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
> help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
> WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.

Seeing as how you're looking at them all anyway, check out AVG...it's free
(not just for one year) and dispenses regular updates. Hey, there's no
single anti-virus program that will catch each and every bad-guy. AVG
(free) has treated me (and 'my' WinME) well over the years!
--
Nomad
Anonymous

There are also some online scans that have removal capabilities.

Panda ActiveScan (free)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_...

Panda ActiveScan Pro ($9/six months or $15/year)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescanpro/def...

BitDefender Online Scan

Trend Micro Housecall
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

"Nomad" <doesntwork@hotmail.com> wrote in message
"Josh Lott" <josh.lott@noaa.gov> wrote in message
news:o TMViCiGFHA.3088@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm having
> loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
> recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
> help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
> WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.

Seeing as how you're looking at them all anyway, check out AVG...it's free
(not just for one year) and dispenses regular updates. Hey, there's no
single anti-virus program that will catch each and every bad-guy. AVG
(free) has treated me (and 'my' WinME) well over the years!
--
Nomad
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 6:55:34 PM

--
Dave
Anonymous

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| There are also some online scans that have removal capabilities.
|
| Panda ActiveScan (free)
| http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_...
|
| Panda ActiveScan Pro ($9/six months or $15/year)
| http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescanpro/def...
|
| BitDefender Online Scan
| http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
|
| Trend Micro Housecall