anti virus protection that's free?

Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm having
loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.

Josh
10 answers Last reply
More about anti virus protection that free

    Take a look at...

    avast! 4 Home Edition:

    eTrust EZ Antivirus (Free license for one year):

    http://home.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=PYPCTrialPage&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715&CID=185351

    AVG Antivirus:

    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

    A number of users in this NG use eTrust EZ Antivirus, including myself.
    I've not used avast! recently but liked earlier versions that I've
    used. AVG generally receives favorable reviews, but I've not used it
    myself. Take a look at each. The final selection is yours to make.
    They're all good products.

    Josh Lott wrote:
    > Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm having
    > loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
    > recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
    > help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
    > WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.
    >
    > Josh

    Casting my vote of confidence on TomV's suggestions. I am using eTrust EZAV
    and have had a few minor program conflicts, all of which were remedied by
    placing the AV in the 'snooze' mode (inactive). A friend of mine is using
    Avast! and is very pleased with it.
    Heirloom, old and, uh, I forgot

    Could try AntiVir from http://free-av.com/
    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > Casting my vote of confidence on TomV's suggestions. I am using eTrust
    > EZAV
    > and have had a few minor program conflicts, all of which were remedied by
    > placing the AV in the 'snooze' mode (inactive). A friend of mine is using
    > Avast! and is very pleased with it.
    > Heirloom, old and, uh, I forgot
    >
    > "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Take a look at...
    >>
    >> avast! 4 Home Edition:

    >> eTrust EZ Antivirus (Free license for one year):
    >>

    > http://home.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=PYPCTrialPage&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715&CID=185351
    >>
    >> AVG Antivirus:
    >>
    >> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
    >>
    >> A number of users in this NG use eTrust EZ Antivirus, including myself.
    >> I've not used avast! recently but liked earlier versions that I've
    >> used. AVG generally receives favorable reviews, but I've not used it
    >> myself. Take a look at each. The final selection is yours to make.
    >> They're all good products.
    >>
    >> Josh Lott wrote:
    >> > Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm
    >> > having
    >> > loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
    >> > recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
    >> > help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
    >> > WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.
    >> >
    >> > Josh

    Here is a list. CA eTrust tops this list and is recomended.

    ClamWin -
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/clamwin/clamwin-0.37.3-setup.exe?download - FREE

    AVAST -

    AntiVir -
    http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE

    AVG -
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE

    CA eTrust -
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    { Free offer ends 8/1/05 }

    --
    Dave

    "Josh Lott" <josh.lott@noaa.gov> wrote in message
    | Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm having
    | loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
    | recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
    | help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
    | WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.
    |
    | Josh

    Thanks everyone. I am an infrequent visitor to this forum, but every
    time I come I get quick, useful advice.

    I may be back if I can't work out the drivers for my new Linksys
    ethernet card....

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > Here is a list. CA eTrust tops this list and is recomended.
    >

    > ClamWin -
    > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/clamwin/clamwin-0.37.3-setup.exe?download - FREE
    >
    > AVAST -
    >
    > AntiVir -
    > http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE
    >
    > AVG -
    > http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE
    >
    > CA eTrust -
    > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    > { Free offer ends 8/1/05 }

    Josh,

    You're welcome. If you use Zonealarm, you may want to hold off on
    trying avast! 4.6. Apparently, there is a conflict between the avast!
    Webshield and Zonealarm firewall. There are numerous posts in other NGs
    including avast's forum reporting problems. Avast is aware of the issue.

    Tom

    Josh Lott wrote:
    > Thanks everyone. I am an infrequent visitor to this forum, but every
    > time I come I get quick, useful advice.
    >
    > I may be back if I can't work out the drivers for my new Linksys
    > ethernet card....

    "Josh Lott" <josh.lott@noaa.gov> wrote in message
    > Is there a recommendation for a free anti-virus application? I'm having
    > loads of trouble upgrading to Symantec Corporate 9.0.1, which was
    > recommended by my employer (including a free copy). Not getting any
    > help from Symantec either. I know there are issues btwn Symantec and
    > WinME, so I'm looking for alternatives. Many thanks.

    Seeing as how you're looking at them all anyway, check out AVG...it's free
    (not just for one year) and dispenses regular updates. Hey, there's no
    single anti-virus program that will catch each and every bad-guy. AVG
    (free) has treated me (and 'my' WinME) well over the years!
    --
    Nomad

    There are also some online scans that have removal capabilities.

    Panda ActiveScan (free)

    Panda ActiveScan Pro ($9/six months or $15/year)
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescanpro/default.asp

    BitDefender Online Scan

    Trend Micro Housecall
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    --
    Dave

    "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | There are also some online scans that have removal capabilities.
    |
    | Panda ActiveScan (free)
    | http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
    |
    | Panda ActiveScan Pro ($9/six months or $15/year)
    | http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescanpro/default.asp
    |
    | BitDefender Online Scan
    | http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
    |
    | Trend Micro Housecall