scared to defrag

after my last defrag the computer would no start !
something to do with a missing vxd file or files!
i was told to do a restore as my system is an OEM !
i had no restore points!
the original advice i was given was to extract the files
from my ME cd but
as i have only a restore pack no joy!!
i always scandisk before defragging and it seemed ok
my question is?
can i copy to a disk the files that i assume are already
on the computer ?
and where would the files be found?
i hasten to add that i am a beginner in the computing
world
my computer is getting slow and needing defragged and up
till now it was no probs
yours grayman
3 answers Last reply
More about scared defrag

    "grayman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > after my last defrag the computer would no start !
    > something to do with a missing vxd file or files!
    > i was told to do a restore as my system is an OEM !
    > i had no restore points!
    > the original advice i was given was to extract the files
    > from my ME cd but
    > as i have only a restore pack no joy!!
    > i always scandisk before defragging and it seemed ok
    > my question is?
    > can i copy to a disk the files that i assume are already
    > on the computer ?
    > and where would the files be found?
    > i hasten to add that i am a beginner in the computing
    > world
    > my computer is getting slow and needing defragged and up
    > till now it was no probs
    > yours grayman

    The first thing I would do is to work on restoring your missing system files
    and then work on getting System Restore functioning correctly. Most of your
    system files (VXDs, DLLs, EXEs, etc.) can be restored straight from the hard
    drive (however, I strongly suggest updating any hardware drivers from the
    manufacturer instead of the hard drive).

    When WinME is installed, there is a virtual copy of the OS made in:
    C:\Windows\Options\ and its subfolders.

    You may restore individual files using this method:

    START->

    RUN->

    type MSCONFIG->

    select EXTRACT FILE->

    type the file's EXACT name that is to be restored (not the complete path,
    just the file name including extension, such as EXPLORER.EXE)->

    select the "Restore From" location (in almost all cases, it is
    C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\)->

    Select the "Save File In" location. This is the complete path (the original
    folder) where the missing file resided. (If unsure, consult Google using the
    missing file's name)->

    If you are replacing an existing file with this method (such as when
    repairing a corrupted file), instead of restoring a missing file, you will be
    prompted to create a backup. Always select "Yes" to be on the safe side.

    To answer your second question, you may try to burn the entire folder:
    C:\Windows\Options\ onto a disk for safe keeping (or for restoring files from
    command prompt when normal and safe-mode boots fail) but the above (MSCONFIG)
    method will work as long as you are at least able to get into safe-mode.

    Only after your system files are restored would I worry about fixing System
    Restore. Without these missing system files, System Restore is virtually
    worthless anyways.

    I hope this helps.

    ~Theta Sigma

    thanks very much i will try and use your advice
    asap! my system restore is working fine now but i am
    worried that after defrag i will get the same probs again
    but i am just being a big cissy i think
    yours grayman

    ScanDefrag will keep a log, see the Readme file for more
    complete information.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
    or http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html

    --
    grayman wrote:
    > thanks very much i will try and use your advice
    > asap! my system restore is working fine now but i am
    > worried that after defrag i will get the same probs again
    > but i am just being a big cissy i think
    > yours grayman

Defragment Microsoft Computers Windows