DSO Exploit Help

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi
Little help please

I run spyware and keep finding DSO Exploit 5 entries and can not seem to get
rid. I have even got the DSOSTOP tool to get rid but nothing. Could
someone give me any advice please on how to get rid of it

i have tried various forums and read up about it but i was hoping someone on
here could tell me if they have had it and how they got rid of it rather
than read hundreds of pages and get know where

cheers dave

---
More about exploit help
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Basically what's happening is Spybot is finding that the security setting
    for "Download Unsigned ActiveX controls" for the (normally) hidden
    "My Computer" zone in Internet Explorer is not set to disabled.
    However, the fact that Spybot isn't properly fixing this is just a simple Sypbot
    bug that hopefully will be fixed soon by Spybot.

    Visit http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=15308
    for additional info.

    Make sure you visit the Windows Update website and download any
    recommended Critical Updates.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "David Whitrfield" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message:

    | Hi
    | Little help please
    |
    | I run spyware and keep finding DSO Exploit 5 entries and can not seem to get
    | rid. I have even got the DSOSTOP tool to get rid but nothing. Could
    | someone give me any advice please on how to get rid of it
    |
    | i have tried various forums and read up about it but i was hoping someone on
    | here could tell me if they have had it and how they got rid of it rather
    | than read hundreds of pages and get know where
    |
    | cheers dave
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Greetings --

    The DSO exploit was patched long ago by IE Cumulative Update
    MS02-015, in March of 2002. If you've installed this specific patch,
    or any subsequent IE Cumulative Updates, or Service Pack 1, you're
    safe. It would appear that the latest version of Spybot S&D is only
    checking for Internet zone settings in the registry that could be used
    as work-around protection, and not for the presence of any corrective
    patches. Hopefully, the makers of Spybot will soon fix this bug.

    MS02-015 March 28, 2002 Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;319182

    If you like, you can test your system for this particular
    vulnerability at this web site:
    http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/

    The makers of SpyBot S&D have acknowledged the problem and will
    fix it on their next update:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=paragraphs&detail=currentfaqs

    In the meantime, in SpyBot S&D, click Mode > Advanced > Settings >
    Ignore Products > Security > DSO Exploit, to turn off the false alarm.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "David Whitrfield" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Little help please
    >
    > I run spyware and keep finding DSO Exploit 5 entries and can not
    seem to get
    > rid. I have even got the DSOSTOP tool to get rid but nothing.
    Could
    > someone give me any advice please on how to get rid of it
    >
    > i have tried various forums and read up about it but i was hoping
    someone on
    > here could tell me if they have had it and how they got rid of it
    rather
    > than read hundreds of pages and get know where
    >
    > cheers dave
    >

    > ---

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "David Whitrfield" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    > Hi
    > Little help please
    >
    > I run spyware and keep finding DSO Exploit 5 entries and can not seem to get
    > rid. I have even got the DSOSTOP tool to get rid but nothing. Could
    > someone give me any advice please on how to get rid of it
    >
    > i have tried various forums and read up about it but i was hoping someone on
    > here could tell me if they have had it and how they got rid of it rather
    > than read hundreds of pages and get know where
    >
    > cheers dave

    When you say you ran "spyware" - I'm assuming you mean SpyBot Search & Destroy.
    Info on DSO exploit. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/threats/13.html
    http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/
    *On a fully patched IE this is no longer a threat*
    In SpyBot's advanced view, you may add the detection "flag" to be ignored from
    further detections.

    HTH
    Silj

    --