  • Exploit
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 4, 2004 7:31:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi
Little help please

I run spyware and keep finding DSO Exploit 5 entries and can not seem to get
rid. I have even got the DSOSTOP tool to get rid but nothing. Could
someone give me any advice please on how to get rid of it

i have tried various forums and read up about it but i was hoping someone on
here could tell me if they have had it and how they got rid of it rather
than read hundreds of pages and get know where

cheers dave

---

More about : dso exploit

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:31:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Basically what's happening is Spybot is finding that the security setting
for "Download Unsigned ActiveX controls" for the (normally) hidden
"My Computer" zone in Internet Explorer is not set to disabled.
However, the fact that Spybot isn't properly fixing this is just a simple Sypbot
bug that hopefully will be fixed soon by Spybot.

Visit http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=1...
for additional info.

Make sure you visit the Windows Update website and download any
recommended Critical Updates.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"David Whitrfield" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message:

| Hi
| Little help please
|
| I run spyware and keep finding DSO Exploit 5 entries and can not seem to get
| rid. I have even got the DSOSTOP tool to get rid but nothing. Could
| someone give me any advice please on how to get rid of it
|
| i have tried various forums and read up about it but i was hoping someone on
| here could tell me if they have had it and how they got rid of it rather
| than read hundreds of pages and get know where
|
| cheers dave
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 10:37:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Greetings --

The DSO exploit was patched long ago by IE Cumulative Update
MS02-015, in March of 2002. If you've installed this specific patch,
or any subsequent IE Cumulative Updates, or Service Pack 1, you're
safe. It would appear that the latest version of Spybot S&D is only
checking for Internet zone settings in the registry that could be used
as work-around protection, and not for the presence of any corrective
patches. Hopefully, the makers of Spybot will soon fix this bug.

MS02-015 March 28, 2002 Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;319182

If you like, you can test your system for this particular
vulnerability at this web site:
http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/

The makers of SpyBot S&D have acknowledged the problem and will
fix it on their next update:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=paragrap...

In the meantime, in SpyBot S&D, click Mode > Advanced > Settings >
Ignore Products > Security > DSO Exploit, to turn off the false alarm.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"David Whitrfield" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
> Little help please
>
> I run spyware and keep finding DSO Exploit 5 entries and can not
seem to get
> rid. I have even got the DSOSTOP tool to get rid but nothing.
Could
> someone give me any advice please on how to get rid of it
>
> i have tried various forums and read up about it but i was hoping
someone on
> here could tell me if they have had it and how they got rid of it
rather
> than read hundreds of pages and get know where
>
> cheers dave
>

> ---

August 5, 2004 7:26:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"David Whitrfield" <davewhitnospam@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
> Little help please
>
> I run spyware and keep finding DSO Exploit 5 entries and can not seem to get
> rid. I have even got the DSOSTOP tool to get rid but nothing. Could
> someone give me any advice please on how to get rid of it
>
> i have tried various forums and read up about it but i was hoping someone on
> here could tell me if they have had it and how they got rid of it rather
> than read hundreds of pages and get know where
>
> cheers dave

When you say you ran "spyware" - I'm assuming you mean SpyBot Search & Destroy.
Info on DSO exploit. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/threats/13.html
http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/
*On a fully patched IE this is no longer a threat*
In SpyBot's advanced view, you may add the detection "flag" to be ignored from
further detections.

HTH
Silj

--