Runner Error appears on desktop

Help! As fairly new users, we have an error that appears on our desktop
before we do much of anything. Our internet service provider informed us it
is a Microsoft issue. We cannot find anything (yet) how to remove this.

The message is: Runner Error
Invalid BackWeb application id 7288971

We have Windows Me.

How might we remove this?

Thank you.

V&A

It's caused by Backweb, not Windows. While there are some legitimate
reasons for the software it is not something that I would want on my pc.
My suggestion is that you remove it if you don't need it.

http://chooseknowledge.com/Backweb.htm

John

V&A wrote:

> Help! As fairly new users, we have an error that appears on our desktop
> before we do much of anything. Our internet service provider informed us it
> is a Microsoft issue. We cannot find anything (yet) how to remove this.
>
> The message is: Runner Error
> Invalid BackWeb application id 7288971
>
> We have Windows Me.
>
> How might we remove this?
>
> Thank you.
>
> V&A

"V&A" <V&A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ..
..
> Help! As fairly new users, we have an error that appears on our desktop
> before we do much of anything. Our internet service provider informed
> us it
> is a Microsoft issue. We cannot find anything (yet) how to remove this.
>
> The message is: Runner Error
> Invalid BackWeb application id 7288971
>
> We have Windows Me.
>
> How might we remove this?

Not a Microsoft problem at all but rather a problem with BackWeb, an
application installed used by many OEM and hardware vendors to support
their products.

Backweb is often installed by Compaq, HP, Logitech, McAfee and other
software/hardware houses to enable remote support and updating of their
products. You may find that you have an entry in Add/Remove Programs that
relates to Backweb such as "Service Connection (BackWEB)".

More information on Backweb can be found at
http://www.backweb.com/services/technical/index.cfm. Personally I'd never
want to allow such an application to be installed on any of my PCs and if
I did would at the very least have it blocked at my firewall so as to
prevent it calling home other than when I as a user wanted to use it which
I suspect would be rarely if at all.

If unwanted you should be able to either remove or uncheck the entry
launching Backweb which usually appears on the Startup tab in MSConfig
(Start | Run enter MSConfig in the box and click OK).
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com