Smart Portable Shortcuts

On my D drive, I want to create several "smart" shortcuts that will always
be valid, regardless of whether this hard drive is drive D, drive E, or some
other drive letter. Similarly, I want to create shortcuts for CDs. Any
shortcut I create on a hard drive won't work when I burn that to a CD. I
need "smart" portable shortcuts. This would prevent a lot of duplication of
files. How do I do this?

Hard Drive Example:
Paint Shop Pro - see D:\Software\J\Jasc\PSP

CD Example:
ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0 Manual - see [CD]\ZAP5ug
ZoneAlarm Pro 5.1 Manual - see [CD]ZAP5ug
ZoneAlarm Pro 5.5 Manual - see [CD]ZAP5ug

Shane

If this relates to your other question regarding dual booting, if you create
a second primary partition using Partition Magic (create a FAT32 one), to
install XP to, the two will automatically be hidden from each other, so
whichever you boot will be C: and the other drive letters will remain the
same.

With Boot Magic installed in ME, set it up so that both may be booted. Set
the (empty) XP partition (volume) as default, then reboot. Boot Magic will
try to boot XP but of course cannot. But it sets that as the bootable drive.
Now insert the XP cd and reboot. Hit *any key* when you see the prompt.
Select the correct partition in the XP cd's setup routine and - if you're
going to use NTFS - choose to format it. If you're going to use FAT32 just
choose to leave the file system intact.

XP will install, turning off Boot Magic in the process (all Windows
installations do this). Once XP is installed, ME will be hidden and XP will
be recognised as being on drive C. Now you need to get back into ME to turn
Boot Magic back on. You can do this using the Boot Magic rescue disk, but a
better way is to install Partition Magic to XP then run PQBoot for Windows
to do the job. It reboots to ME (which is now on drive C). Now run Boot
Magic Configuration and re-enable it. Set whichever OS as default. Reboot
and you have the choice to boot ME or XP. Whichever you do so will become
drive C, so shared volumes retain the same drive letter.

As for shortcuts to cd's: make them while the cd in question is in the
drive.

Shane

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On my D drive, I want to create several "smart" shortcuts that will always
> be valid, regardless of whether this hard drive is drive D, drive E, or
some
> other drive letter. Similarly, I want to create shortcuts for CDs. Any
> shortcut I create on a hard drive won't work when I burn that to a CD. I
> need "smart" portable shortcuts. This would prevent a lot of duplication
of
> files. How do I do this?
>
> Hard Drive Example:
> Paint Shop Pro - see D:\Software\J\Jasc\PSP
>
> CD Example:
> ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0 Manual - see [CD]\ZAP5ug
> ZoneAlarm Pro 5.1 Manual - see [CD]ZAP5ug
> ZoneAlarm Pro 5.5 Manual - see [CD]ZAP5ug

Well explained Shane. With regards to FAT32 vs NTFS and XP, if the pc
is to be a family or multi user pc I would recommend using NTFS for its
security/permision and ownership features that are not available on FAT.

John

Shane wrote:

> If this relates to your other question regarding dual booting, if you create
> a second primary partition using Partition Magic (create a FAT32 one), to
> install XP to, the two will automatically be hidden from each other, so
> whichever you boot will be C: and the other drive letters will remain the
> same.
>
> With Boot Magic installed in ME, set it up so that both may be booted. Set
> the (empty) XP partition (volume) as default, then reboot. Boot Magic will
> try to boot XP but of course cannot. But it sets that as the bootable drive.
> Now insert the XP cd and reboot. Hit *any key* when you see the prompt.
> Select the correct partition in the XP cd's setup routine and - if you're
> going to use NTFS - choose to format it. If you're going to use FAT32 just
> choose to leave the file system intact.
>
> XP will install, turning off Boot Magic in the process (all Windows
> installations do this). Once XP is installed, ME will be hidden and XP will
> be recognised as being on drive C. Now you need to get back into ME to turn
> Boot Magic back on. You can do this using the Boot Magic rescue disk, but a
> better way is to install Partition Magic to XP then run PQBoot for Windows
> to do the job. It reboots to ME (which is now on drive C). Now run Boot
> Magic Configuration and re-enable it. Set whichever OS as default. Reboot
> and you have the choice to boot ME or XP. Whichever you do so will become
> drive C, so shared volumes retain the same drive letter.
>
> As for shortcuts to cd's: make them while the cd in question is in the
> drive.
>

> Shane
>

> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>On my D drive, I want to create several "smart" shortcuts that will always
>>be valid, regardless of whether this hard drive is drive D, drive E, or
>
> some
>
>>other drive letter. Similarly, I want to create shortcuts for CDs. Any
>>shortcut I create on a hard drive won't work when I burn that to a CD. I
>>need "smart" portable shortcuts. This would prevent a lot of duplication
>
> of
>
>>files. How do I do this?
>>
>>Hard Drive Example:
>>Paint Shop Pro - see D:\Software\J\Jasc\PSP
>>
>>CD Example:
>>ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0 Manual - see [CD]\ZAP5ug
>>ZoneAlarm Pro 5.1 Manual - see [CD]ZAP5ug
>>ZoneAlarm Pro 5.5 Manual - see [CD]ZAP5ug

The small portable shortcuts were mainly intended for the non-C drives (my
second hard drive) and for CDs that I make. They are shortcuts to files from
one part of a CD to another, or one part of a hard drive to another -
regardless of drive letter. They are not shortcuts from hard drive to CD or
CD to hard drive. I guess I'm not explaining this well. Maybe an autorun.inf
file or some other kind of batch file like that does the shortcuts. I may
need a utility to help me write it. Third-party icon programs make portable
shortcuts that stay with the drive/CD regardless of drive letter. Companies
have been making data CDs for years, so there must be a way to do it. Rather
than duplicating the same file more than once on the CD in different
folders, they have some type of shortcut to go directly to one file in one
folder from multiple locations to save space. That's what I want to do on
the on my D drive and on my CDs. When I burn those files to CD, the
shortcuts still need to be valid but point to the corresponding place on the
CD, not to the hard drive because that particular hard drive might not
always be connected. Backing up my data before attempting this partitioning
and XP install is paramount. I want to minimize duplication.

The DSL must be shared among all computers, so the network MUST function and
be available to all the Win9x nodes (95a, 98se, Me) regardless of whether I
am booted in Me or XP. I am the network administrator, but as you can see
I'm no expert. I'm a beginning-intermediate-advanced user trying to do this
on her own. My skills vary in different areas. Some areas I'm more
knowledgeable about than others. I know a lot about 9x but very little about
DOS and XP. We can't afford to have someone come in here and set this up for
us.

We do not use Internet Connection Sharing that comes with Windows. The
router automatically coordinates the sharing and assigns IP addresses. When
I get so far as the XP networking wizard I will visit the XP networking
forum for those questions. But from what we remember about that wizard, it
asked if we wanted to share internet access. If we answer yes, I think that
sets up Internet Connection Sharing. If we answer no, I think it does not.
We can't have ICS. It is not compatible with my router/ISP. Each computer
needs to share the DSL but also to be able to use its own dial-up modem to
connect to the internet on its own, if necessary. If there are web sites you
could point me to for further help with setting up a peer-to-peer network in
XP for 9x computers, that would be great.

NTFS does sound more secure, but I am terrified that if I choose that file
system, the Win9x network will no longer work, the DSL will no longer be
shared, printers and CD/DVD drives can no longer be shared, and files can no
longer be shared with the non-NTFS drives/partitions when I am booted in XP.
Similarly, I wonder if printers and drives will be shared or not. I'm
wondering how the user-level access will change our current network when I'm
in Me. Someone mentioned Browse Master or LM Host. I need a place to look up
what those settings should be in each node. Will the XP networking forum be
the place to ask how to set up users and nodes in XP and the other
computers?

Finally, which is better:
1. Partition Magic/Boot Magic
2. BootIt

I only intend to buy one of these products. Partition Magic was my first
choice, but it BootIt is better, I'll get it instead. Similarly, if I buy
BootIt, should I also buy Imaging for Windows? There is a discount if you
buy them both as a bundle. Do BootIt and Imaging both function together as a
replacement for Norton Ghost and Partition Magic/Boot Magic?

Shane wrote:

> If this relates to your other question regarding dual booting, if you
create
> a second primary partition using Partition Magic (create a FAT32 one), to
> install XP to, the two will automatically be hidden from each other, so
> whichever you boot will be C: and the other drive letters will remain the
> same.
>
> With Boot Magic installed in ME, set it up so that both may be booted. Set
> the (empty) XP partition (volume) as default, then reboot. Boot Magic will
> try to boot XP but of course cannot. But it sets that as the bootable
drive.
> Now insert the XP cd and reboot. Hit *any key* when you see the prompt.
> Select the correct partition in the XP cd's setup routine and - if you're
> going to use NTFS - choose to format it. If you're going to use FAT32 just
> choose to leave the file system intact.
>
> XP will install, turning off Boot Magic in the process (all Windows
> installations do this). Once XP is installed, ME will be hidden and XP
will
> be recognised as being on drive C. Now you need to get back into ME to
turn
> Boot Magic back on. You can do this using the Boot Magic rescue disk, but
> better way is to install Partition Magic to XP then run PQBoot for Windows
> to do the job. It reboots to ME (which is now on drive C). Now run Boot
> Magic Configuration and re-enable it. Set whichever OS as default. Reboot
> and you have the choice to boot ME or XP. Whichever you do so will become
> drive C, so shared volumes retain the same drive letter.
>
> As for shortcuts to cd's: make them while the cd in question is in the
> drive.
>

> Shane
>

> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>On my D drive, I want to create several "smart" shortcuts that will always
>>be valid, regardless of whether this hard drive is drive D, drive E, or
>
> some
>
>>other drive letter. Similarly, I want to create shortcuts for CDs. Any
>>shortcut I create on a hard drive won't work when I burn that to a CD. I
>>need "smart" portable shortcuts. This would prevent a lot of duplication
>
> of
>
>>files. How do I do this?
>>
>>Hard Drive Example:
>>Paint Shop Pro - see D:\Software\J\Jasc\PSP
>>
>>CD Example:
>>ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0 Manual - see [CD]\ZAP5ug
>>ZoneAlarm Pro 5.1 Manual - see [CD]ZAP5ug
>>ZoneAlarm Pro 5.5 Manual - see [CD]ZAP5ug

Shane

I'm fairly sure if you put a shortcut on a cd it'll be set to use the drive
letter *that* cd-rom uses on *that* machine, at *that* time.

A couple of years ago I wrote a batch that I put on a cd, that was launched
by an autorun.inf, for the purpose of opening a menu of the contents of that
cd.

Once launched, the batch searched for a file that was on the same cd
(requires a unique name), and assigned the drive it found it on, to the
variable %CDROM% (in a similar way as the DOS boot disk routine does when
you select cd-rom support).

Thereafter any path beginning %CDROM% would be treated as being on the cd. I
suspect, however, that on making shortcuts, *%CDROM%* will either not be
accepted, or will be automatically altered to the actual drive letter.

I was running batch files and/or vb scripts. You can of course write scripts
to launch various applications and to have, eg Adobe Acrobat launch a .pdf,
Internet Explorer open an .htm, Notepad open a .txt. The commercial cds you
refer to probably use visual basic scripts or compiled executables.