Thermal compounds

About to finish of new build but would like some input on what thermal
pastes are the best.
I heard 4yrs ago that compounds containing 'Shin etsu' were superior,
does this still apply.
If your from the UK could you include which store it's from.

Look for the thermal conductivity for that thermal
compound. Some are so sold on hype that they fear to provide
that number. All thermal compounds tend to be equivalent.
Look at the numbers and be most suspicious of thermal
compounds that don't provide thermal conductivity numbers.
Those may be the thermal compounds selling only on peer
recommendations, hype, and for 10 times the price.

Swoggy wrote:
> About to finish of new build but would like some input on what thermal
> pastes are the best.
> I heard 4yrs ago that compounds containing 'Shin etsu' were superior,
> does this still apply.
> If your from the UK could you include which store it's from.

> Look for the thermal conductivity for that thermal
> compound. Some are so sold on hype that they fear to provide
> that number. All thermal compounds tend to be equivalent.
> Look at the numbers and be most suspicious of thermal
> compounds that don't provide thermal conductivity numbers.
> Those may be the thermal compounds selling only on peer
> recommendations, hype, and for 10 times the price.

I read a test on the Net a few months ago (probably still around)
and the expensive stuff such as Arctic Silver didn't do any better
than the cheap zinc oxide. It's all hype.

Swoggy <swoggy1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<coi48j$bih$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> would like some input on what thermal pastes are the best.
> I heard 4yrs ago that compounds containing 'Shin etsu' were
> superior, does this still apply.

Norm's Action Team embarked upon a 4-year, billion dollar research
study and came up with this:

www.shinetsu.co.jp/english

So it appears that buying thermal paste containing Shin etsu makes as
much sense as buying a car containing Honda. I could understand an
American making such a mistake, but I thought you Britains were a lot
smarter.

> If your from the UK could you include which store it's from.

Maplin? Radio Shack? Ordinary heatsink grease made of silicone oil
and zinc oxide powder, but don't use clown make-up.

ME

Swoggy <swoggy1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>About to finish of new build but would like some input on what thermal
>pastes are the best.
>I heard 4yrs ago that compounds containing 'Shin etsu' were superior,
>does this still apply.
>If your from the UK could you include which store it's from.

A full side by side comparison from the most expensive to the cheapest :)

It is not worth losing sleep over.

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

Hope this helps

Andy

>>About to finish of new build but would like some input on what thermal
>>>pastes are the best.
>>>I heard 4yrs ago that compounds containing 'Shin etsu' were superior,
>>>does this still apply.
>>>If your from the UK could you include which store it's from.
>

> A full side by side comparison from the most expensive to the cheapest :)
>
> It is not worth losing sleep over.
>
> http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
>
> Hope this helps

I'm thinking of going with the Vegemite. :)

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> Andy@nospam.co.uk wrote:
>
>> A full side by side comparison from the most expensive to the cheapest
>> :)
>>
>> It is not worth losing sleep over.
>>
>> http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
>
> Thanks for the link.

i particularly like how to lie with statistics and "looking smarter than
yoda with this on your coffee table 'The visual display of quantative
information'