RAID advice needed

Building my first RAID-capable machine. Motherboard (ASUS SK8V) manual
contains instructions for both "VIA RAID Configurations" AND "Promise RAID
configurations." I assume these are two different ways of doing the same
thing? Which is preferable? I have purchased two identical 80 GB SATA hard
drives. What's the best way to set them up as a RAID 0 array? Thanks in
advance!

What chipset does your mobo use? VIA? I know that Promise makes a card
that is RAID controller. If your mobo uses VIA chipset, use that
driver when XP asks for 3rd party drivers during installing XP.
I built RAID0 with Intel D865 mobo, I was nervous, but it went fine,
with the help and support from this group! Just post any questions.
It's real plain in XP when you need the drivers, kinda can't miss it.
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:34:44 -0500, "PJL"
<harvard75atspamnocomcast.net> wrote:

>Building my first RAID-capable machine. Motherboard (ASUS SK8V) manual
>contains instructions for both "VIA RAID Configurations" AND "Promise RAID
>configurations." I assume these are two different ways of doing the same
>thing? Which is preferable? I have purchased two identical 80 GB SATA hard
>drives. What's the best way to set them up as a RAID 0 array? Thanks in
>advance!

I'm reluctant to say that I know the "best" way, but...

You mainboard has two SATA RAID controllers: one that's native to the Via
K8T800/VT8237 chipsets, the second a third-party Promise controller that's
built on to the board. The Promise controller probably uses the PCI bus, but
I'm unsure about the Via one.

With my A8V mainboard (socket 939, K8T800 Pro chipset), I use the Via
controller with a RAID 0 pair. I disabled the Promise controller in the
BIOS. That may save a few seconds of boot time.

I have read claims that the Via controller is faster than the Promise one,
but I can't verify that.

(On the other hand, the Promise controller can be configured with 2 SATA
drives plus two PATA drives in RAID 0+1. I believe that the Via controller
cannot do that.)

I suggest that you use the Via controller, but I doubt that it makes a large
difference.

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

"PJL" <harvard75atspamnocomcast.net> wrote in message
> Building my first RAID-capable machine. Motherboard (ASUS SK8V) manual
> contains instructions for both "VIA RAID Configurations" AND "Promise RAID
> configurations." I assume these are two different ways of doing the same
> thing? Which is preferable? I have purchased two identical 80 GB SATA
> hard
> drives. What's the best way to set them up as a RAID 0 array? Thanks in
> advance!

"PJL" <harvard75atspamnocomcast.net> wrote in message news:<z9qdnWrHN5U1njDcRVn-iw@comcast.com>...

> Building my first RAID-capable machine. Motherboard
> (ASUS SK8V) manual contains instructions for both "VIA RAID
> Configurations" AND "Promise RAID configurations." I
> assume these are two different ways of doing the same
> thing? Which is preferable?

Aren't they identical? I have Maxtor Ultra 100 cards and couldn't
flash it except with Promise's BIOS while another person had the
Promise brand ATA100 card and couldn't flash it except with Maxtor's
BIOS.

I just installed a generic RAID IDE controller based on the Silicon
Image (www.siliconimage.com) SII-0680A chip, and it seems to work fine
and doesn't require identical HDs. SI also makes a SATA version
(www.xbitlabs.com may have a review), and both cost as little as $13
each. I ordered mine from www.acortech.com (fast delivery, use
PRICEWATCH coupon code for free shipping, or check
www.pricewatch.com).