Newbi: Requesting suggestions for computer cases......

I want to build my next computer system. Currently I am looking at computer
cases. I want a full tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
at handling - getting rid of heat. The computer will be a workstation used
to edit video - running Adobe products - XP Pro. I want lots of room to grow
into the box.

Any suggestions?

If there is a web site that I can checkout that would be great as well!

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about newbi requesting suggestions computer cases

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:08:05 -0500, "Terabyte" <terabyte@rogers.com>
    wrote:

    >I want to build my next computer system. Currently I am looking at computer
    >cases. I want a full tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
    >at handling - getting rid of heat. The computer will be a workstation used
    >to edit video - running Adobe products - XP Pro. I want lots of room to grow
    >into the box.
    >

    >Any suggestions?
    >

    >If there is a web site that I can checkout that would be great as well!
    >

    >Thanks!

    I do video editing myself and have several machines that I've built
    for various aspects of the post process.
    I however like to scavenge for my parts and have a couple of really
    large server towers that I got from the curb that I'm using for a
    server farm that I'm working on.
    If you want to go that way it can definetly be cheaper and give you a
    commercial grade box with plenty of room for expansion.
    (Both of mine have really big casters for mobility. The one I'm
    working on currently is just under 4-1/2 feet tall with a foot of
    clearance internally width wise to allow stacking of some pretty big
    mobos. Very heavy steel gage as well with four large cooling fans up
    top for good air flow.)
    If you're game try searching around commercial offices or computer
    service facilities in you area.
    I had to pass up several monolith router towers some months back
    because I couldn't get my hands on a trailer in time to get them off
    the street corner.
    They stood nearly 7 feet high and were at least 4 feet wide with two
    feet or so depth. And they all still had their power supplies and
    thousands of usb cables and hub banks.
    Heavy steel with double swing out doors much like storage lockers.
    I felt sick for weeks at missing out on that one.(I did manage to pull
    about 300 or so usb cables of varying length from 12 inches to 3 feet
    and a few really big power supplies.)

    While you might prefer the ease of buying, scavenging can often get
    you better gear at a price you can't beat.

    Lian Li: PC-V2000A, PC-V1000, PC70,
    Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000SNA
    AMS gTower CF-1009SW
    --
    Mac Cool

    >I want to build my next computer system. Currently I am looking at computer
    >cases. I want a full tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
    >at handling - getting rid of heat. The computer will be a workstation used
    >to edit video - running Adobe products - XP Pro. I want lots of room to grow
    >into the box.

    Nice search features at the sites below:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=7&DEPA=1
    http://www.insight.com/ Look under Hardware, System Cabinets
    Then use the filters on the left to narrow down the cases with
    the features you want.

    Good prices:

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=32

    Was a good site once upon a time:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041020/index.html

    --
    If it's spam, it's a scam! Don't do business with net-abusers.
    http://mbdynip.dyndns.org/html/mboard/

    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt mini-FAQ available at:
    ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt/

    >I want to build my next computer system. Currently I am looking at computer
    >cases. I want a full tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
    >at handling - getting rid of heat. The computer will be a workstation used
    >to edit video - running Adobe products - XP Pro. I want lots of room to grow
    >into the box.
    >

    >Any suggestions?
    >

    >If there is a web site that I can checkout that would be great as well!
    >

    >Thanks!

    I chose Antec for my first computer case and I would definitely choose the same
    brand again. The thing is built like a tank.

    "Terabyte" <terabyte@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<-KSdnbvJW6s1hDDcRVn-1w@rogers.com>...

    > Currently I am looking at computer cases. I want a full
    > tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
    > at handling - getting rid of heat.

    Aluminum makes no difference, but size helps.

    > I want lots of room to grow into the box.

    Get something that measures at least 19" from front to back or else
    any 5.25" drives (CD, DVD) will overlap the larger mobos. While you
    can install those drives above the mobo in taller cases, that can mean
    needing an IDE cable that's longer than the recommended 18" max.

    > If there is a web site that I can checkout

    www.newegg.com <- lots of PSUs, too
    www.directron.com <- lots of PSUs, too
    www.dealsonic.com
    www.pcdirect.com
    www.fatwallet.com <- forum about hot deals
    http://newspaperads.dfw.com <- look under "computers" and "Fry's"

    If you live near a Fry's Electronics (www.outpost.com, but prices are
    typically different for sale items), check the Wednesday and Friday
    newspapers for their ads because they often have a case for $5-25
    after rebate (last Friday it as an Antec SK1600 w/ 300W Antec PSU).
    If the PSU included with the case is junk (it usually is), get a
    Fortron-Source PSU (many brands, including Sparkle, Hi-Q, and PowerQ)
    from NewEgg or Directron because you don't want to risk damaging your
    equipment, and it's sometimes cheaper to buy a cheap case with a junk
    PSU and a separate quality PSU than to buy a case with a quality PSU.

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:08:05 -0500, "Terabyte" <terabyte@rogers.com>
    had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >I want to build my next computer system. Currently I am looking at computer
    >cases. I want a full tower aluminum case. I think that they will be better
    >at handling - getting rid of heat. The computer will be a workstation used
    >to edit video - running Adobe products - XP Pro. I want lots of room to grow
    >into the box.
    >

    >Any suggestions?
    >

    >If there is a web site that I can checkout that would be great as well!
    >

    >Thanks!

    It's not fancy and it has no problem with cooling:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-182-545&depa=0

    Stephen

Homebuilt Cases Computer Systems