Hard Drive Capacity vs. Free Space

My BelarcAdvisor reports the following about my
drive(s):
48.56 GB Usable Hard Drive Capacity
and 46.50 GB Hard Drive Free Space.

How do I interpret this?
I can account for the 48.56 GB, but am unable to access the free space. Why
would that be?
The dreive has 80 GB.
Still puzzled.

Harry.
23 answers Last reply
More about hard drive capacity free space

    It would appear that your partition table may be damaged but I suspect you
    know that already as I have seen you posting previous threads on the same
    subject.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

    > My BelarcAdvisor reports the following about my
    > drive(s):
    > 48.56 GB Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    > and 46.50 GB Hard Drive Free Space.
    >
    > How do I interpret this?
    > I can account for the 48.56 GB, but am unable to access the free
    > space. Why would that be?
    > The dreive has 80 GB.
    > Still puzzled.

    Sorry Mike, but no cigar, as they say.
    The damaged partition table was present on my previous 20GB drive. It since
    got replaced with an 80 GB drive and everything installed from scratch.
    There is also no damaged partition table anymore.
    My PM8 runs perfectly on the new drive and without the error message.
    If it wasn't for this one little blemish, my machine would be perfect.
    Is it possible to fix my problem with PM8?
    I surely would like to think so.

    Harry.

    > It would appear that your partition table may be damaged but I suspect you
    > know that already as I have seen you posting previous threads on the same
    > subject.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >
    > > My BelarcAdvisor reports the following about my
    > > drive(s):
    > > 48.56 GB Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    > > and 46.50 GB Hard Drive Free Space.
    > >
    > > How do I interpret this?
    > > I can account for the 48.56 GB, but am unable to access the free
    > > space. Why would that be?
    > > The dreive has 80 GB.
    > > Still puzzled.

    Harry, what does Belarc tell you about 'Local Drive Volumes'?
    And, for that matter, what does Windows Explorer tell you about (each of )
    your Hard Drive(s)?
    Do the figures add-up there?

    My *guess* is that maths may be slightly incorrect in the 'Drives'
    department.

    Mart

    > My BelarcAdvisor reports the following about my
    > drive(s):
    > 48.56 GB Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    > and 46.50 GB Hard Drive Free Space.
    >
    > How do I interpret this?
    > I can account for the 48.56 GB, but am unable to access the free space.
    > Why
    > would that be?
    > The dreive has 80 GB.
    > Still puzzled.
    >
    > Harry.

    Mart:

    There is only 'one' hard drive, divided into C and D drive and both of them
    with FAT32. C is the 'active' partition with 2GB and D with 40 GB.
    The remaining 38 GB are somehow hidden and don't show up in Windows
    Explorer.
    Is it at all possible this might have something to do with initial 'faulty'
    drive installation?
    I posted this same issue before, only at a slightly different angle , but
    don't remember to have found a satisfactory solution.
    Should there be no 'cure', I will just have to live with it, as is, a 40GB
    drive.
    Hopefully there is an explanation for my 'mystery'.

    Harry.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Harry, what does Belarc tell you about 'Local Drive Volumes'?
    > And, for that matter, what does Windows Explorer tell you about (each of )
    > your Hard Drive(s)?
    > Do the figures add-up there?
    >
    > My *guess* is that maths may be slightly incorrect in the 'Drives'
    > department.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > My BelarcAdvisor reports the following about my
    > > drive(s):
    > > 48.56 GB Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    > > and 46.50 GB Hard Drive Free Space.
    > >
    > > How do I interpret this?
    > > I can account for the 48.56 GB, but am unable to access the free space.
    > > Why
    > > would that be?
    > > The dreive has 80 GB.
    > > Still puzzled.
    > >
    > > Harry.

    Forgot to mention, Mart, the 'Local Drive Volume':

    c: (on drive 0) 2.14 GB 897 MB free.
    d: (on drive 0) 46.41 GB 45.60 GB free.

    That's all.

    Harry.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Harry, what does Belarc tell you about 'Local Drive Volumes'?
    > And, for that matter, what does Windows Explorer tell you about (each of )
    > your Hard Drive(s)?
    > Do the figures add-up there?
    >
    > My *guess* is that maths may be slightly incorrect in the 'Drives'
    > department.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > My BelarcAdvisor reports the following about my
    > > drive(s):
    > > 48.56 GB Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    > > and 46.50 GB Hard Drive Free Space.
    > >
    > > How do I interpret this?
    > > I can account for the 48.56 GB, but am unable to access the free space.
    > > Why
    > > would that be?
    > > The dreive has 80 GB.
    > > Still puzzled.
    > >
    > > Harry.

    Harry,

    This may be an obvious question, but is the unused portion of the HD
    (neither C nor D) formatted? You have PM8, use it to see what's going
    on with the space allocation on the HD that you indicate is "hidden."
    PM8 will see whatever space is there, and then you can determine what
    you need or want to do with it, i.e., format it, partition it, etc.

    Tom

    webster72n wrote:
    > Mart:
    >
    > There is only 'one' hard drive, divided into C and D drive and both of them
    > with FAT32. C is the 'active' partition with 2GB and D with 40 GB.
    > The remaining 38 GB are somehow hidden and don't show up in Windows
    > Explorer.
    > Is it at all possible this might have something to do with initial 'faulty'
    > drive installation?
    > I posted this same issue before, only at a slightly different angle , but
    > don't remember to have found a satisfactory solution.
    > Should there be no 'cure', I will just have to live with it, as is, a 40GB
    > drive.
    > Hopefully there is an explanation for my 'mystery'.
    >
    > Harry.

    Tom:

    I had the sneaking suspision, PM8 might be helpful in solving my problem. It
    shows the missing GB's, only thing is, I don't quite know what to do with
    that information.
    If I gave you that info, would you be willing to help me with that?

    Harry.

    "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Harry,
    >
    > This may be an obvious question, but is the unused portion of the HD
    > (neither C nor D) formatted? You have PM8, use it to see what's going
    > on with the space allocation on the HD that you indicate is "hidden."
    > PM8 will see whatever space is there, and then you can determine what
    > you need or want to do with it, i.e., format it, partition it, etc.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > webster72n wrote:
    > > Mart:
    > >
    > > There is only 'one' hard drive, divided into C and D drive and both of
    them
    > > with FAT32. C is the 'active' partition with 2GB and D with 40 GB.
    > > The remaining 38 GB are somehow hidden and don't show up in Windows
    > > Explorer.
    > > Is it at all possible this might have something to do with initial
    'faulty'
    > > drive installation?
    > > I posted this same issue before, only at a slightly different angle ,
    but
    > > don't remember to have found a satisfactory solution.
    > > Should there be no 'cure', I will just have to live with it, as is, a
    40GB
    > > drive.
    > > Hopefully there is an explanation for my 'mystery'.
    > >
    > > Harry.

    Harry,

    I'll certainly try to assist. I'm sure some of the "gurus" will jump in
    also. How is PM8 identifying the space on the HD?

    Tom

    webster72n wrote:
    > Tom:
    >
    > I had the sneaking suspision, PM8 might be helpful in solving my problem. It
    > shows the missing GB's, only thing is, I don't quite know what to do with
    > that information.
    > If I gave you that info, would you be willing to help me with that?
    >
    > Harry.

    You are doing a tremendous job in trying to assist.
    Thank you very much.

    > Harry,
    >
    > I'll certainly try to assist. I'm sure some of the "gurus" will jump in
    > also. How is PM8 identifying the space on the HD?
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > webster72n wrote:
    > > Tom:
    > >
    > > I had the sneaking suspision, PM8 might be helpful in solving my
    problem. It
    > > shows the missing GB's, only thing is, I don't quite know what to do
    with
    > > that information.
    > > If I gave you that info, would you be willing to help me with that?
    > >
    > > Harry.

    Harry, I think you are concentrating on the wrong part of the picture. You
    should be looking to claim-back the 'missing' 40GB of your 80GB HDD and
    setting-up the disk correctly with PM.

    I haven't been following your previous threads, however, as Tom has alluded
    elsewhere in this thread, you should be re-visiting PM. - and Mike has even
    suggested a possible damaged partition table 8>0

    It's a (very) long time since I used PM (v4 thru' 6) and assuming that PM8
    still works on the same principle, you *should* for example, be able to
    increase your C: to 40 + 2 = 42GB. You should also be able to 'play around'
    with sizing of your partitions 'on-the-fly' to see its effect long BEFORE
    you commit them to a permanent change with PM.

    My advice is that you carefully read the PM user manual to get a thorough
    understanding of what it does, as I guess the answer to your original post
    to this thread will be found there.

    > ... but am unable to access the free space.
    > Why would that be?

    'Finger trouble', Harry - often relieved by a treatment of RTFM <g>

    Mart

    > Harry, I think you are concentrating on the wrong part of the picture. You
    > should be looking to claim-back the 'missing' 40GB of your 80GB HDD and
    > setting-up the disk correctly with PM.
    >
    > I haven't been following your previous threads, however, as Tom has
    alluded
    > elsewhere in this thread, you should be re-visiting PM. - and Mike has
    even
    > suggested a possible damaged partition table 8>0
    >
    > It's a (very) long time since I used PM (v4 thru' 6) and assuming that PM8
    > still works on the same principle, you *should* for example, be able to
    > increase your C: to 40 + 2 = 42GB. You should also be able to 'play
    around'
    > with sizing of your partitions 'on-the-fly' to see its effect long BEFORE
    > you commit them to a permanent change with PM.
    >
    > My advice is that you carefully read the PM user manual to get a thorough
    > understanding of what it does, as I guess the answer to your original post
    > to this thread will be found there.
    >
    > > ... but am unable to access the free space.
    > > Why would that be?
    >
    > 'Finger trouble', Harry - often relieved by a treatment of RTFM <g>
    >
    > Mart
    >
    > "RTFM"?
    > I need a little help with that one.
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Forgot to mention, Mart, the 'Local Drive Volume':
    > >
    > > c: (on drive 0) 2.14 GB 897 MB free.
    > > d: (on drive 0) 46.41 GB 45.60 GB free.
    > >
    > > That's all.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Harry, what does Belarc tell you about 'Local Drive Volumes'?
    > >> And, for that matter, what does Windows Explorer tell you about (each
    > >> of )
    > >> your Hard Drive(s)?
    > >> Do the figures add-up there?
    > >>
    > >> My *guess* is that maths may be slightly incorrect in the 'Drives'
    > >> department.
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

    Mart,

    I only mentioned possibly damaged partition table due to a) Belarc's
    48.56GB usable and 46.50GB free being so different from the 80GB nominal
    for the drive [1], and b) Harry going on about this being a problem rather
    than having gone ahead and created a new partition in the free space.

    [1] Or is Belarc simply saying that of the 48.56 GB that has been
    partitioned 46.50 GB is unused and making no reference to the
    unpartitioned space?

    Harry,

    What does Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.com) tell you about your
    drive? Check Storage | Physical Drives. The lower pane on the right will
    tell you how your disk is partitioned.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    > Mart,
    >
    > I only mentioned possibly damaged partition table due to a) Belarc's
    > 48.56GB usable and 46.50GB free being so different from the 80GB nominal
    > for the drive [1], and b) Harry going on about this being a problem rather
    > than having gone ahead and created a new partition in the free space.
    >
    > If I new how to gain access to the free space, I
    > certainly would have, Mike. Heaven knows I tried.
    > It's exactly the reson for me to come here.
    > If not addressing it as a problem, what else?
    > I am 'only' looking for an answer.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > [1] Or is Belarc simply saying that of the 48.56 GB that has been
    > partitioned 46.50 GB is unused and making no reference to the
    > unpartitioned space?
    >
    > Harry,
    >
    > What does Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.com) tell you about your
    > drive? Check Storage | Physical Drives. The lower pane on the right will
    > tell you how your disk is partitioned.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Harry, I think you are concentrating on the wrong part of the
    > > picture. You should be looking to claim-back the 'missing' 40GB of
    > > your 80GB HDD and setting-up the disk correctly with PM.
    > >
    > > I haven't been following your previous threads, however, as Tom has
    > > alluded elsewhere in this thread, you should be re-visiting PM. -
    > > and Mike has even suggested a possible damaged partition table 8>0
    > >
    > > It's a (very) long time since I used PM (v4 thru' 6) and assuming
    > > that PM8 still works on the same principle, you *should* for example,
    > > be able to increase your C: to 40 + 2 = 42GB. You should also be able
    > > to 'play around' with sizing of your partitions 'on-the-fly' to see
    > > its effect long BEFORE you commit them to a permanent change with PM.
    > >
    > > My advice is that you carefully read the PM user manual to get a
    > > thorough understanding of what it does, as I guess the answer to your
    > > original post to this thread will be found there.
    > >
    > >> ... but am unable to access the free space.
    > >> Why would that be?
    > >
    > > 'Finger trouble', Harry - often relieved by a treatment of RTFM <g>
    > >
    > > Mart
    > >

    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Forgot to mention, Mart, the 'Local Drive Volume':
    > >>
    > >> c: (on drive 0) 2.14 GB 897 MB free.
    > >> d: (on drive 0) 46.41 GB 45.60 GB free.
    > >>
    > >> That's all.
    > >>
    > >> Harry.
    > >>

    > >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

    Yes Mike, my guess is probably a combination of all - and I'm not too sure
    if the maths is absolutely accurate in Belarc for that particular parameter
    or it's just being 'misled' <g>. However, I'm certain that a better
    understanding of how to use PM could only improve the situation.

    Mart

    > Yes Mike, my guess is probably a combination of all - and I'm not too sure
    > if the maths is absolutely accurate in Belarc for that particular
    parameter
    > or it's just being 'misled' <g>. However, I'm certain that a better
    > understanding of how to use PM could only improve the situation.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > Mart,
    > >
    > > I only mentioned possibly damaged partition table due to a) Belarc's
    > > 48.56GB usable and 46.50GB free being so different from the 80GB nominal
    > > for the drive [1], and b) Harry going on about this being a problem
    rather
    > > than having gone ahead and created a new partition in the free space.
    > >
    > > [1] Or is Belarc simply saying that of the 48.56 GB that has been
    > > partitioned 46.50 GB is unused and making no reference to the
    > > unpartitioned space?
    > >
    > > Harry,
    > >
    > > What does Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.com) tell you about your
    > > drive? Check Storage | Physical Drives. The lower pane on the right
    will
    > > tell you how your disk is partitioned.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Harry, I think you are concentrating on the wrong part of the
    > >> picture. You should be looking to claim-back the 'missing' 40GB of
    > >> your 80GB HDD and setting-up the disk correctly with PM.
    > >>
    > >> I haven't been following your previous threads, however, as Tom has
    > >> alluded elsewhere in this thread, you should be re-visiting PM. -
    > >> and Mike has even suggested a possible damaged partition table 8>0
    > >>
    > >> It's a (very) long time since I used PM (v4 thru' 6) and assuming
    > >> that PM8 still works on the same principle, you *should* for example,
    > >> be able to increase your C: to 40 + 2 = 42GB. You should also be able
    > >> to 'play around' with sizing of your partitions 'on-the-fly' to see
    > >> its effect long BEFORE you commit them to a permanent change with PM.
    > >>
    > >> My advice is that you carefully read the PM user manual to get a
    > >> thorough understanding of what it does, as I guess the answer to your
    > >> original post to this thread will be found there.

    > >> 'Finger trouble', Harry - often relieved by a treatment of RTFM <g>
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>
    > >> Now that I know the meaning of "RTFM",
    > >> I can tell you that the "FM" is like an encyclopedia,
    > >> much too extensive and too late for me to delve into
    > >> at this stage of my life.
    > >> That's why I came here for help and I surely don't
    > >> need this kind of treatment from anyone.
    > >> Thank you and Mike for your 'kind' assistance.
    > >>
    > >> Harry.
    > >>
    > >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

    RTFM
    Read The F***ing Manual
    Joan

    webster72n wrote:

    >> "RTFM"?
    >> I need a little help with that one.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Joan:

    Thanks for explaining.
    I shall respond accordingly.

    Harry.

    "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > RTFM
    > Read The F***ing Manual
    > Joan
    >
    > webster72n wrote:
    >
    > >> "RTFM"?
    > >> I need a little help with that one.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Sadly once again you seem to find difficulty in answering the question
    which was:

    What does Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.com) tell you about your
    drive? Check Storage | Physical Drives. The lower pane on the right will
    tell you how your disk is partitioned.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

    > If I new how to gain access to the free space, I
    > certainly would have, Mike. Heaven knows I tried.
    > It's exactly the reson for me to come here.
    > If not addressing it as a problem, what else?
    > I am 'only' looking for an answer.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike:

    Sorry about having overlooked this item in your post.
    I will go there now and report back.
    Thank you.

    Harry.

    > Sadly once again you seem to find difficulty in answering the question
    > which was:
    >
    > What does Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.com) tell you about your
    > drive? Check Storage | Physical Drives. The lower pane on the right will
    > tell you how your disk is partitioned.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >
    > > If I new how to gain access to the free space, I
    > > certainly would have, Mike. Heaven knows I tried.
    > > It's exactly the reson for me to come here.
    > > If not addressing it as a problem, what else?
    > > I am 'only' looking for an answer.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike:

    Clicking on your link I can only come up with information I already revealed
    here with no reference to the missing GB's. It produced Aida32, which I have
    on my PC.
    I could not come up with Check Storage/Physical Drives
    anywhere along the lines. Did I miss something?
    As Mart said, I will have to read the manual of PM8,
    no matter how extensive it is and how old I am.
    Maybe that will help me getting older.
    Thanks a million for caring.

    Harry.

    > Sadly once again you seem to find difficulty in answering the question
    > which was:
    >
    > What does Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.com) tell you about your
    > drive? Check Storage | Physical Drives. The lower pane on the right will
    > tell you how your disk is partitioned.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >
    > > If I new how to gain access to the free space, I
    > > certainly would have, Mike. Heaven knows I tried.
    > > It's exactly the reson for me to come here.
    > > If not addressing it as a problem, what else?
    > > I am 'only' looking for an answer.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Your rudeness and seeming inability to answer the most simple of questions
    does you no favours at all. Remember it is YOU and you alone that gets
    you into the many messes you seem to end up in and not those from whom you
    seek help.

    You have a hard disk with around 32-34GB of unallocated space. You have
    Partition Magic 8. Now use PM and create a partition in that unused space.
    Assuming that the space is contiguous then the easiest way might be to
    simply create a third primary partition after which you can format it and
    use it in Win Me. As to how to do this use either PM's help or RTM.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote ...

    Now that I know the meaning of "RTFM",
    I can tell you that the "FM" is like an encyclopedia,
    much too extensive and too late for me to delve into
    at this stage of my life.
    That's why I came here for help and I surely don't
    need this kind of treatment from anyone.
    Thank you and Mike for your 'kind' assistance.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Harry,

    I'm tagging my reply on here, as this thread is becoming a bit ragged and
    here seems a useful place as any to add it.

    But (very much) earlier you asked the question "Is it possible to fix my
    problem with PM8?"

    The simple answer is YES.

    BUT you really must read the manual - even if it is like an encyclopedia -
    before you start playing with PM. I'm sorry but -

    > much too extensive and too late for me to delve into
    > at this stage of my life.

    is not a valid excuse. As I pointed out before, so long as you don't press
    the final "Go" button, you can play with the settings till your heart's
    content, seeing the affects of various adjustments until you find the
    setting most apporpriate to your circumstances.

    We can neither see your PM screen shots, nor see the affects of your
    adjustments. But as Mike has already suggested "As to how to do this, use
    either PM's help or RTM." You don't need to read the whole of the manual,
    just the relevant pages.

    BTW - if/when you reply in-line Harry, please don't add an extra chevron, it
    makes it difficult to determine where your reply starts and ends.

    We'll get you there!!

    Mart
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    You don't know how much I appreciate your response, Mart. Thank you very
    much.
    Now there is room to operate.
    I was afraid that this would be my final answer.
    My *problem* will just have to wait for me to tackle it.
    And with those *chevrons*, my intentions were to do it right and it turned
    out to be the opposite.
    Thank you for reaching out with understanding.

    > Harry,
    >
    > I'm tagging my reply on here, as this thread is becoming a bit ragged and
    > here seems a useful place as any to add it.
    >
    > But (very much) earlier you asked the question "Is it possible to fix my
    > problem with PM8?"
    >
    > The simple answer is YES.
    >
    > BUT you really must read the manual - even if it is like an encyclopedia -
    > before you start playing with PM. I'm sorry but -
    >
    > > much too extensive and too late for me to delve into
    > > at this stage of my life.
    >
    > is not a valid excuse. As I pointed out before, so long as you don't press
    > the final "Go" button, you can play with the settings till your heart's
    > content, seeing the affects of various adjustments until you find the
    > setting most apporpriate to your circumstances.
    >
    > We can neither see your PM screen shots, nor see the affects of your
    > adjustments. But as Mike has already suggested "As to how to do this, use
    > either PM's help or RTM." You don't need to read the whole of the manual,
    > just the relevant pages.
    >
    > BTW - if/when you reply in-line Harry, please don't add an extra chevron,
    it
    > makes it difficult to determine where your reply starts and ends.
    >
    > We'll get you there!!
    >
    > Mart

Hard Drives Free Space Microsoft Windows