Definition pop-ups?

loveamd

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I would like to recommend definition pop-ups. Kinda like forums do for advertising but for definitions. Say if someone posts a question or response and it includes an abbreviation of a phrase like BIOS or FIOS or LT or MS or other such stuff.

Just a thought

Maybe not even a pop-up. Maybe it would be highlighted in red to signify that there is a definition behind it. Then click on it and load a page with the definition.

And maybe not to limit it to words. Take it to another level. Define what 802.11x is, or GPU, or, well you get the idea.

That will keep people in Toms forums and more pages for more advertising space to sell.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
That is what google is for :wink:

Want more pop-ups?

My response to that:

HECK NO!! WHAT WERE YOU SMOKING WHEN YOU WROTE THAT?

I have a pop-up blocker, but still be serious....

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I agree and disagree with you Crizazykid.

I agree: No more popups.
I agree: Google is good for definitions.

The 2nd part of LA's idea is good - highlight/underline/color red/something to indicate there's a definition page available for that word is a great idea. I personally may never use it, or at least rarely, but it is a good suggestion, IMO.

Mike.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
seems kinda annoying to me...like the green underlined links.

I think it would bother a lot of people here.

Maybe something that references to the words at the bottom of the page would be good?

loveamd

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Ya, after I read what I wrote, I must have been smoking :p . I don't want pop ups like they have now. (Those little green ones)
Maybe just that highlight/color/underline thing.

I agree Google is good for that but let's think about the results you'd get from Google powered compared to a Toms result. Google will give you 1.3 million results. Toms will give you 1. The correct 1.
Google might not give you the level of education you (I) might need.
Not everyone is familiar with putting in define:xxxxxxx into a Google search. If it were in Toms, they could write up the definition so that you do not have to leave Toms and get into a site that has bad code in it. Plus inside the definition will be other words that some might not understand and links to those definitions.

Maybe it will make Toms forums an even bigger destination for tech users?
And of course, there will be an option to submit a change or addition to the definition.

At what level should the definition be written? Should it be so clear that a 5th grader will understand or only a C++ master will understand? Those are extremes but you get the idea.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Maybe it will make Toms forums an even bigger destination for tech users?

No, many forum members work (or know) IT. IMO, These definitions would only attract those with many questions, not answers.

Are you suggesting something like urbandictionary.com, but tech and appropriate? I think that would be cool, as long as it was strictly moderated. The users could submit definitons, creating a tech dictionary...that sounds like a cool idea. I wonder if it is feasible.

At what level should the definition be written? Should it be so clear that a 5th grader will understand or only a C++ master will understand? Those are extremes but you get the idea.

hmmm, that is a tough one.

Xesc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I love the idea!

Think about every time you read an article and it describes something with "This motherboard is Blah/Bleh/SoHo/MMS compliant"... I don't know what "SoHo" is and I have a few choices now:

1) Open another browser, search for it and find a gazillion hits about everything else
2) Stumble over something else, during your search for the definition, losing the tread you were reading
3) Mouse over the word to get exactly what I wanted to know.

And to how annoying it is, with "pop-up messages", if you are annoyed about those pop-ups, why are you then holding your mouse pointer over the words? :S

I usually hold my mouse to the right of the text, I can still scroll, I don't get those popups, and if there is a popup I want to see, I move my mouse.

Why make what one does not want, a limitation for what others want? (specially when there is an easy solution to it :D)

Cheers,
Francisco Cano
Sweden