Report Paints Depressing Sales Numbers For DRAM Makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

blingooron

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Im not sure how these sales numbers break up into consumer sales, however im not buying it cause I dont need more than 8 gig and the difference today in ram is really splitting hairs (for performance) and not giving me 50% faster load times or helping my fps. So...no buy!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
release a new standard with a signifigant performance boost and they will sell, also if they can convince oem to include more ram sales might improve... but most us in the pc market have ddr3 comign out our ears it has been around for a whiel i have a few unused sticks just in with old motherboards from upgrades but having 16 gigs in each machine ther eis no need to buy more no gain betyon even 8 gigs in most machines

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
"In 2010, 16.39 billion units were shipped. In 2012, the number will be almost double - 32 million devices." Daum, a whole -200% increase.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]release a new standard with a signifigant performance boost and they will sell, also if they can convince oem to include more ram sales might improve... but most us in the pc market have ddr3 comign out our ears it has been around for a whiel i have a few unused sticks just in with old motherboards from upgrades but having 16 gigs in each machine ther eis no need to buy more no gain betyon even 8 gigs in most machines[/citation]

Definitely. Seems like the main determining factor right now for memory is simply how much you have. If they actually introduce let's say DDR4 that has a maybe 25% performance boost then we might see people upgrading.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]badhomaks[/nom]"In 2010, 16.39 billion units were shipped. In 2012, the number will be almost double - 32 million devices." Daum, a whole -200% increase.[/citation]

not to be picky but that's a 100% increase :)

hannibal

Distinguished
Well Intel is pringing DDR4 to CPU after the Haswell (If not counting Haswell-ep), so it will not help dram makers at this moment. Allso it is true that ram speed has not been very bad bottlenek, so it would reguire much, much faster CPU to reguire much faster ram... Summasumarum ram makers are in trouble.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Maybe they should band together to start a software company that makes voxel modeling and rendering software. That would get people needing more RAM. You could use up a terabyte pretty easily for that matter.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]Well Intel is pringing DDR4 to CPU after the Haswell (If not counting Haswell-e), so it will not help dram makers at this moment. Allso it is true that ram speed has not been very bad bottlenek, so it would reguire much, much faster CPU to reguire much faster ram... Summasumarum ram makers are in trouble.[/citation]
I think Haswell-EP (Xeons) is rumoured to get DDR4, and Skylake for consumer DDR4.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
ok, assuming ddr3 takes the same size per gb as an ssd, that means that an ssd currently should only cost 54 cents per gb... and we get close to that number with major sales.

that isn't bad... need to bookmark this so i have a reference for future ssd debates.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Chainzsaw[/nom]Hmm maybe it's a good time to re-introduce RDRAM into mainstream./joke[/citation]

I don't think Rambus has even a full-time staff of researchers anymore. Their offices are probably being occupied by full-time lawyers.

[citation][nom]blingooron[/nom]Rambus...feel sorry for those poor souls (from a consumer gaming pov)[/citation]

Rambus has their memory in use by the PS3, among other devices. I don't think that their suffering in the console gaming community, granted they're not around the PC gaming community these days.

[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]Well Intel is pringing DDR4 to CPU after the Haswell (If not counting Haswell-ep), so it will not help dram makers at this moment. Allso it is true that ram speed has not been very bad bottlenek, so it would reguire much, much faster CPU to reguire much faster ram... Summasumarum ram makers are in trouble.[/citation]

With instructions such as AVX and all getting more common use, RAM can quickly become a huge bottle-neck in some applications.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ok, assuming ddr3 takes the same size per gb as an ssd, that means that an ssd currently should only cost 54 cents per gb... and we get close to that number with major sales. that isn't bad... need to bookmark this so i have a reference for future ssd debates.[/citation]

Someone doesn't know the difference between GB and Gb. A 2Gb DDR3 chip is actually 256MiB. That DDR3 chip costs $8.64 or so per GiB aka something like $7.45 per GB. Be glad that SSDs aren't even nearly that expensive these days.

What I want to know is that if a 256MiB chip costs $1.08, then why can we buy 2x4GB RAM kits (they use 256MiB chips) for less than $8.64 per GiB? Heck, a 2x4GiB kit can often be had as cheap as $40 on Newegg, but that's only about $5 per GiB. Maybe RAM module manufacturers get some sort of discount or something like that.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I don't think Rambus has even a full-time staff of researchers anymore. Their offices are probably being occupied by full-time lawyers.[/citation]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XDR2_DRAM

but I do agree with the sentiment of the first couple of posters. Ive got 6gb of ram and I have no problems in games... well now that I upgraded my gpu that is.

[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]What is this $1.08 nonsense?2 GB DDR3 sell for $15 in Romania.[/citation]

Again, There is a huge difference between Gb and GB. A difference of 8 times, to be exact. 8Gb = 1GB. With RAM, 8Gb = 1GiB because people don't care to use the correct nomenclature. Furthermore, that price is obviously not including shipping and tax for other countries such as Romania.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]http://www.rambus.com/us/news/pres [...] 00208.htmlThat one's from 2010 and was just a press release about the technology being worked on. Much more work has been done on it since then.[/citation]
lol beat you to the punch there brother

Status
Not open for further replies.