Help Please, Black window keeps popping up

I sure hope someone can help me. A couple of days a black window started
popping up. It has a tool bar at the top and in the left corner it says
Ducins~1. I have done a complete virus check nothing showed up. When it pops
up I can't get to it intime to click on the top toolbar and it dissappears
almost like a screensaver popping in and off my screen. I have tried looking
for it in help, and in files but nothing, and no one seems to have any idea
what this is. I have Millennium Me on my computer.
15 answers Last reply
More about help please black window popping

    I have it too, started about the same time. I'm using Windows 98.
    Tried virus and Spybot scan, went to TrendMicro, tried their
    scan...nothing! This is really annoying! My machine freezes up for a
    few seconds just before the window appears.

    You could try running System Restore and roll-back "a couple of days" plus
    one. It *might* just get rid of it for you.

    Mart

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<eOBIbgEHFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > You could try running System Restore and roll-back "a couple of days" plus
    > one. It *might* just get rid of it for you.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "linda" <linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I sure hope someone can help me. A couple of days a black window started
    > > popping up. It has a tool bar at the top and in the left corner it says
    > > Ducins~1. I have done a complete virus check nothing showed up. When it
    > > pops
    > > up I can't get to it intime to click on the top toolbar and it dissappears
    > > almost like a screensaver popping in and off my screen. I have tried
    > > looking
    > > for it in help, and in files but nothing, and no one seems to have any
    > > idea
    > > what this is. I have Millennium Me on my computer.

    This is Norton's antivirus attempting to do the automatic Live update.
    If you look in the system tray next tot the clock you will see the
    computer with the transmitter on top doing something (you will know it
    when you see it).

    Almost killed me when I first saw it too. Pitty no other information
    on the net about it!!

    good luck

    keith

    Win98? - In your case, you could try restarting in DOS and run "scanreg
    /restore" (no quotes and note the space between g and /)

    You should have 5 dates to choose from. Select the date BEFORE the problem
    started.

    No guarantees that it will solve it, but good luck.

    Mart

    "bobpro" <bpgp759@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have it too, started about the same time. I'm using Windows 98.
    > Tried virus and Spybot scan, went to TrendMicro, tried their
    > scan...nothing! This is really annoying! My machine freezes up for a
    > few seconds just before the window appears.

    Thanks for that feedback Keith. I'll bookmark your reply for future - and
    not allowing any Norton product near my box - I would never have guessed
    Norton Live Update as the cause. (But I'm hardly surprised <g>)

    Let's hope it fixes things for linda and bobpro.

    Mart

    "keith" <ehtkhr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> You could try running System Restore and roll-back "a couple of days"
    >> plus
    >> one. It *might* just get rid of it for you.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "linda" <linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I sure hope someone can help me. A couple of days a black window started
    >> > popping up. It has a tool bar at the top and in the left corner it says
    >> > Ducins~1. I have done a complete virus check nothing showed up. When it
    >> > pops
    >> > up I can't get to it intime to click on the top toolbar and it
    >> > dissappears
    >> > almost like a screensaver popping in and off my screen. I have tried
    >> > looking
    >> > for it in help, and in files but nothing, and no one seems to have any
    >> > idea
    >> > what this is. I have Millennium Me on my computer.
    >
    > This is Norton's antivirus attempting to do the automatic Live update.
    > If you look in the system tray next tot the clock you will see the
    > computer with the transmitter on top doing something (you will know it
    > when you see it).
    >
    > Almost killed me when I first saw it too. Pitty no other information
    > on the net about it!!
    >

    > good luck
    >
    > keith

    I got the error after i downloaded the free Adrorons Firewall. If you
    look in the tool bar on the right you will see the word "Ducin" and a
    empty page sign attached to it. Hope that this will help I am trying
    to contact the company but only paid customers are allowed to enter
    the tech help.
    Peter

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<OhIDvRMHFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > Thanks for that feedback Keith. I'll bookmark your reply for future - and
    > not allowing any Norton product near my box - I would never have guessed
    > Norton Live Update as the cause. (But I'm hardly surprised <g>)
    >
    > Let's hope it fixes things for linda and bobpro.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "keith" <ehtkhr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> You could try running System Restore and roll-back "a couple of days"
    > >> plus
    > >> one. It *might* just get rid of it for you.
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "linda" <linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > This is Norton's antivirus attempting to do the automatic Live update.
    > > If you look in the system tray next tot the clock you will see the
    > > computer with the transmitter on top doing something (you will know it
    > > when you see it).
    > >
    > > Almost killed me when I first saw it too. Pitty no other information
    > > on the net about it!!
    > >

    > > good luck
    > >
    > > keith

    The Adoron free firewall has the word Ducins in its task bar(Top
    right)and when clicked on, shows an empty page screen Icon. The Ducins
    black screen pops up when you come on a website it never has seen
    before. Norton live update does not interfere when updating from the
    net.
    Peter

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<OhIDvRMHFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > Thanks for that feedback Keith. I'll bookmark your reply for future - and
    > not allowing any Norton product near my box - I would never have guessed
    > Norton Live Update as the cause. (But I'm hardly surprised <g>)
    >
    > Let's hope it fixes things for linda and bobpro.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "keith" <ehtkhr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> You could try running System Restore and roll-back "a couple of days"
    > >> plus
    > >> one. It *might* just get rid of it for you.
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "linda" <linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> ne
    ws:516E7412-7B30-4FAC-B2DA-2C35C67DEFBE@microsoft.com...

    > > This is Norton's antivirus attempting to do the automatic Live update.
    > > If you look in the system tray next tot the clock you will see the
    > > computer with the transmitter on top doing something (you will know it
    > > when you see it).
    > >
    > > Almost killed me when I first saw it too. Pitty no other information
    > > on the net about it!!
    > >

    > > good luck
    > >
    > > keith

    I would like to thank everyone from replying. I do have norton internet
    security but haven't noticed it doing anything strange, it is doing my
    updates automatically. my My operating system millennium me is a upgrade
    from windows 98. I haven't tried restoring like Mart said to cuz I'm worried
    I have valueable geneology research on my computer. When the word Ducins pops
    up its on the left side of the screen. I still haven't figured out what I
    should do. I can't catch the black screen fast enough to close it out. Should
    I get ahold of Norton?

    "Peter VanHogezand" wrote:

    > The Adoron free firewall has the word Ducins in its task bar(Top
    > right)and when clicked on, shows an empty page screen Icon. The Ducins
    > black screen pops up when you come on a website it never has seen
    > before. Norton live update does not interfere when updating from the
    > net.
    > Peter
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<OhIDvRMHFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > > Thanks for that feedback Keith. I'll bookmark your reply for future - and
    > > not allowing any Norton product near my box - I would never have guessed
    > > Norton Live Update as the cause. (But I'm hardly surprised <g>)
    > >
    > > Let's hope it fixes things for linda and bobpro.
    > >
    > > Mart
    > >

    > > "keith" <ehtkhr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > ws:516E7412-7B30-4FAC-B2DA-2C35C67DEFBE@microsoft.com...
    > > >
    > > > This is Norton's antivirus attempting to do the automatic Live update.
    > > > If you look in the system tray next tot the clock you will see the
    > > > computer with the transmitter on top doing something (you will know it
    > > > when you see it).
    > > >
    > > > Almost killed me when I first saw it too. Pitty no other information
    > > > on the net about it!!
    > > >

    > > > good luck
    > > >
    > > > keith

    Thanks Peter. Interesting stuff. Be even more interesting to hear linda's,
    bobpro's and keith's responses and whether or not NLU is also involved.

    Mart

    "Peter VanHogezand" <vanhogezand@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > The Adoron free firewall has the word Ducins in its task bar(Top
    > right)and when clicked on, shows an empty page screen Icon. The Ducins
    > black screen pops up when you come on a website it never has seen
    > before. Norton live update does not interfere when updating from the
    > net.
    > Peter
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for that feedback Keith. I'll bookmark your reply for future - and
    >> not allowing any Norton product near my box - I would never have guessed
    >> Norton Live Update as the cause. (But I'm hardly surprised <g>)
    >>
    >> Let's hope it fixes things for linda and bobpro.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "keith" <ehtkhr@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > ws:516E7412-7B30-4FAC-B2DA-2C35C67DEFBE@microsoft.com...
    >> >
    >> > This is Norton's antivirus attempting to do the automatic Live update.
    >> > If you look in the system tray next tot the clock you will see the
    >> > computer with the transmitter on top doing something (you will know it
    >> > when you see it).
    >> >
    >> > Almost killed me when I first saw it too. Pitty no other information
    >> > on the net about it!!
    >> >

    >> > good luck
    >> >
    >> > keith

    .....by the neck - throttle it, until it kicks no more - and then replace it
    with something that works!!!

    Running two firewalls - which is what you're doing if you have NIS running
    at the same time as another firewall is a recipe for disaster, as they'll be
    competing to see who has rights over the system!

    NAV is a well-known problem in ME - like the rest of its stable-mates - and
    should not be given houseroom (or air to breathe, either) - do yourself and
    your PC a favour and get something that works WITH the Operating system,
    rather than against it! - there are a number of cheap/free AV's that work as
    well as, if not better than NAV - with a much smaller cost in lost hair and
    time.

    My personal preference is for AVG (www.grisoft.com) - which has a free
    version whose major drawback is the lack of help files (which I've never
    needed yet) - but others will recommend their own favourites (and there's
    little to choose between those that any of the regulars will recommend in
    these groups).

    HTH

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    >I would like to thank everyone from replying. I do have norton internet
    > security but haven't noticed it doing anything strange, it is doing my
    > updates automatically. my My operating system millennium me is a upgrade
    > from windows 98. I haven't tried restoring like Mart said to cuz I'm
    > worried
    > I have valueable geneology research on my computer. When the word Ducins
    > pops
    > up its on the left side of the screen. I still haven't figured out what I
    > should do. I can't catch the black screen fast enough to close it out.
    > Should
    > I get ahold of Norton?

    As far as I know I'm not running 2 firewalls, have had norton on my computer
    for 2 years no problems til now. and I was wrong I'm only getting my live dat
    files, i went in and everytime my computer tried to install the files the
    black window came up. I've emailed norton shd hear back tonight. If they
    don't help tonight, tomorrow norton internet comes off my computer and I'll
    put something else on it. Thanks everyone for your help.

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > .....by the neck - throttle it, until it kicks no more - and then replace it
    > with something that works!!!
    >
    > Running two firewalls - which is what you're doing if you have NIS running
    > at the same time as another firewall is a recipe for disaster, as they'll be
    > competing to see who has rights over the system!
    >
    > NAV is a well-known problem in ME - like the rest of its stable-mates - and
    > should not be given houseroom (or air to breathe, either) - do yourself and
    > your PC a favour and get something that works WITH the Operating system,
    > rather than against it! - there are a number of cheap/free AV's that work as
    > well as, if not better than NAV - with a much smaller cost in lost hair and
    > time.
    >
    > My personal preference is for AVG (www.grisoft.com) - which has a free
    > version whose major drawback is the lack of help files (which I've never
    > needed yet) - but others will recommend their own favourites (and there's
    > little to choose between those that any of the regulars will recommend in
    > these groups).
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "linda" <linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I would like to thank everyone from replying. I do have norton internet
    > > security but haven't noticed it doing anything strange, it is doing my
    > > updates automatically. my My operating system millennium me is a upgrade
    > > from windows 98. I haven't tried restoring like Mart said to cuz I'm
    > > worried
    > > I have valueable geneology research on my computer. When the word Ducins
    > > pops
    > > up its on the left side of the screen. I still haven't figured out what I
    > > should do. I can't catch the black screen fast enough to close it out.
    > > Should
    > > I get ahold of Norton?

    Sorry - must have been misreading about your having another Firewall
    present.
    The advice I gave about Norton still stands, though - its the cause of more
    posts to these groups than any other piece of software.

    --

> [...]
    >> >I would like to thank everyone from replying. I do have norton internet
    >> > security but haven't noticed it doing anything strange, it is doing my
    >> > updates automatically. my My operating system millennium me is a
    >> > upgrade
    >> > from windows 98. I haven't tried restoring like Mart said to cuz I'm
    >> > worried
    >> > I have valueable geneology research on my computer. When the word
    >> > Ducins
    >> > pops
    >> > up its on the left side of the screen. I still haven't figured out what
    >> > should do. I can't catch the black screen fast enough to close it out.
    >> > Should
    >> > I get ahold of Norton?

    > The advice I gave about Norton still stands, though - its the cause of
    more
    > posts to these groups than any other piece of software.

    Probably because most of teh AOL users can't figure out how to turn the
    computer on!

    :-)

    Shane

    "Shane" wrote:
    > > The advice I gave about Norton still stands, though - its
    > the cause of
    > more
    > > posts to these groups than any other piece of software.
    >
    > Probably because most of teh AOL users can't figure out how to
    > turn the
    > computer on!
    >

    > :-)
    >

    > Shane

    Ducins~1 window started showing up about a week ago on my computer. I
    turned off Norton’s Liveupdatem, and so far, no more ducins. The only
    time I’ve seen the ducins window since I disabled Liveupdate was when
    I was actually manually running Liveupdate. Before I disabled
    Liveupdate, ducins was showing up every couple of minutes, and the
    window was on the screen for maybe one second, and then it would be
    gone.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Help-Black-window-popping-ftopict270557.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=867212

    Symantec have now confirmed that this is a LiveUpdate problem. One cause
    being if LiveUpdate is trying to update a Symantec application which is no
    longer present, such as might happen where say a user attempted to install
    NIS2005 over NAV2004, fails and returns to just using NAV. Symantec's
    "fix" is to uninstall everything and start-over. :-(
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    glowbug <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

    > Ducins~1 window started showing up about a week ago on my computer. I
    > turned off Norton's Liveupdatem, and so far, no more ducins. The only
    > time I've seen the ducins window since I disabled Liveupdate was when
    > I was actually manually running Liveupdate. Before I disabled
    > Liveupdate, ducins was showing up every couple of minutes, and the
    > window was on the screen for maybe one second, and then it would be
    > gone.

Microsoft Windows