Windows UPDATE PROBLEM

Hi,

My friend is running Win ME and cannot get Windows Update to even get
past checking for the latest software as it starts.

A quick look at the troubleshooting ref given seems to have more to do
with problems with installs actual updates.

The problem he has is with WinUpdate itself.

Can anyone advise? Can we DL the WinUpdate file and/or reinstall it?

Thanks, Fred
3 answers Last reply
More about windows update problem

    Just trying to clarify a little here on a Win ME Update problem.

    The Win ME Update page loads and then it tries to check for the latest
    version of the update software - then it reports that "Software Update
    Incomplete" message.

    It has notes about security settings that may be too high but I've had
    my friend hit the reset to defaults and still the same result.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks, in advance, Fred

    Fred S wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My friend is running Win ME and cannot get Windows Update to even get
    > past checking for the latest software as it starts.
    >
    > A quick look at the troubleshooting ref given seems to have more to do
    > with problems with installs actual updates.
    >
    > The problem he has is with WinUpdate itself.
    >
    > Can anyone advise? Can we DL the WinUpdate file and/or reinstall it?
    >
    > Thanks, Fred

    Have your friend download this:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cab/x86/ansi/iuctl.cab, extract all
    files, r-click Iuctl.inf and select Install. Then try again.

    Shane

    "Fred S" <"Fred S"@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    > Just trying to clarify a little here on a Win ME Update problem.
    >
    > The Win ME Update page loads and then it tries to check for the latest
    > version of the update software - then it reports that "Software Update
    > Incomplete" message.
    >
    > It has notes about security settings that may be too high but I've had
    > my friend hit the reset to defaults and still the same result.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks, in advance, Fred
    >

    > Fred S wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > My friend is running Win ME and cannot get Windows Update to even get
    > > past checking for the latest software as it starts.
    > >
    > > A quick look at the troubleshooting ref given seems to have more to do
    > > with problems with installs actual updates.
    > >
    > > The problem he has is with WinUpdate itself.
    > >
    > > Can anyone advise? Can we DL the WinUpdate file and/or reinstall it?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Fred

    Hi Shane,

    Thanks for the info but we tried that and the problem has not changed at
    all - still stops with the SW Update Incomplete message.

    Fred

    Shane wrote:
    > Have your friend download this:
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cab/x86/ansi/iuctl.cab, extract all
    > files, r-click Iuctl.inf and select Install. Then try again.
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "Fred S" <"Fred S"@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Just trying to clarify a little here on a Win ME Update problem.
    >>
    >>The Win ME Update page loads and then it tries to check for the latest
    >>version of the update software - then it reports that "Software Update
    >>Incomplete" message.
    >>
    >>It has notes about security settings that may be too high but I've had
    >>my friend hit the reset to defaults and still the same result.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any ideas?
    >>
    >>Thanks, in advance, Fred
    >>

    >>Fred S wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>My friend is running Win ME and cannot get Windows Update to even get
    >>>past checking for the latest software as it starts.
    >>>
    >>>A quick look at the troubleshooting ref given seems to have more to do
    >>>with problems with installs actual updates.
    >>>
    >>>The problem he has is with WinUpdate itself.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone advise? Can we DL the WinUpdate file and/or reinstall it?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks, Fred

Windows Update Microsoft Software Windows