Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

taskbar & start menu

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 27, 2005 2:33:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

There are a few items I would like to remove from here as well as in the
programs list.

Sometimes the shortcuts remove fine and am concerned about some of the items
that I want to remove in the programs list warning indicates that removing
the file will take all associated files to the recycle bin.

Am I going something incorrectly?

More about : taskbar start menu

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 12:09:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Probably not - You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
viruses are not present on your PC
http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.e...

- update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
CoolWebSearch hijacker.
http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html

Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
(download it without the accompanying rubbish)

download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
your system.


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:25B187F2-0E0F-446C-B065-B9BCE1CAAAC6@microsoft.com...
> There are a few items I would like to remove from here as well as in the
> programs list.
>
> Sometimes the shortcuts remove fine and am concerned about some of the
> items
> that I want to remove in the programs list warning indicates that removing
> the file will take all associated files to the recycle bin.
>
> Am I going something incorrectly?
>
February 28, 2005 12:09:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Noel, have all the prorgrams you mentioned here

Not too concerenced about the Hi-Jackers at this point. Just trying to
remove a few items that show up in start > programs ... its getting a little
long and cluttered.

As mentioned, some items (short cuts) remove fine, although, some also give
me a warning that would be the file and components to the recycle bin.

Thanks.
Related resources
February 28, 2005 12:09:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Noel, well thanks for the precautions.

I do run these programs quite often as well as a virus scan.

I would like to just tweak a few entries here. Not too sure why these
products all of a sudden need to be run first prior to using Microsoft
software.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 2:03:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

If you don't get rid of the hijackers first, they'll come back to haunt
you - so there's no point in cleaning the startup axis until after the rest
is cleared


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E77FE326-9F7D-4070-A722-FE3D7D438291@microsoft.com...
> Noel, have all the programs you mentioned here
>
> Not too concerenced about the Hi-Jackers at this point. Just trying to
> remove a few items that show up in start > programs ... its getting a
> little
> long and cluttered.
>
> As mentioned, some items (short cuts) remove fine, although, some also
> give
> me a warning that would be the file and components to the recycle bin.
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 9:25:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

The reason is quite simple - no legitimate program puts executable files
into the Startup folder.

Therefore, if you have a warning that executable files will be deleted when
removing items from the Startup folder, you have malware.

If you have malware, then you need to get rid of it - fast!

Then you can worry about the rest of the startup items.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5B609ABF-7789-4589-991F-B9BBDF979024@microsoft.com...
> Noel, well thanks for the precautions.
>
> I do run these programs quite often as well as a virus scan.
>
> I would like to just tweak a few entries here. Not too sure why these
> products all of a sudden need to be run first prior to using Microsoft
> software.
February 28, 2005 11:19:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

No. Items listed in the programs file on the start menu.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:41:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Sean wrote:
> There are a few items I would like to remove from here as well as in the
> programs list.
>
> Sometimes the shortcuts remove fine and am concerned about some of the items
> that I want to remove in the programs list warning indicates that removing
> the file will take all associated files to the recycle bin.
>
> Am I going something incorrectly?
>

If you want to uninstall the software do it from the Add&RemoveSoftware
thing in ControlPanel

If you want the programs not to Autostart when Windows boots best place
is from the programs Options/Preferences.


Rick
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:20:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Huh??

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4BBCDB45-967C-470C-A3C0-74FB6AC02ABB@microsoft.com...
> No. Items listed in the programs file on the start menu.
!