taskbar & start menu

There are a few items I would like to remove from here as well as in the
programs list.

Sometimes the shortcuts remove fine and am concerned about some of the items
that I want to remove in the programs list warning indicates that removing
the file will take all associated files to the recycle bin.

Am I going something incorrectly?
8 answers Last reply
More about taskbar start menu

    Probably not - You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

    Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    CoolWebSearch hijacker.

    Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (download it without the accompanying rubbish)

    download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    your system.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > There are a few items I would like to remove from here as well as in the
    > programs list.
    >
    > Sometimes the shortcuts remove fine and am concerned about some of the
    > items
    > that I want to remove in the programs list warning indicates that removing
    > the file will take all associated files to the recycle bin.
    >
    > Am I going something incorrectly?

    Noel, have all the prorgrams you mentioned here

    Not too concerenced about the Hi-Jackers at this point. Just trying to
    remove a few items that show up in start > programs ... its getting a little
    long and cluttered.

    As mentioned, some items (short cuts) remove fine, although, some also give
    me a warning that would be the file and components to the recycle bin.

    Thanks.

    Noel, well thanks for the precautions.

    I do run these programs quite often as well as a virus scan.

    I would like to just tweak a few entries here. Not too sure why these
    products all of a sudden need to be run first prior to using Microsoft
    software.

    If you don't get rid of the hijackers first, they'll come back to haunt
    you - so there's no point in cleaning the startup axis until after the rest
    is cleared

    --

    > Noel, have all the programs you mentioned here
    >
    > Not too concerenced about the Hi-Jackers at this point. Just trying to
    > remove a few items that show up in start > programs ... its getting a
    > little
    > long and cluttered.
    >
    > As mentioned, some items (short cuts) remove fine, although, some also
    > give
    > me a warning that would be the file and components to the recycle bin.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The reason is quite simple - no legitimate program puts executable files
    into the Startup folder.

    Therefore, if you have a warning that executable files will be deleted when
    removing items from the Startup folder, you have malware.

    If you have malware, then you need to get rid of it - fast!

    Then you can worry about the rest of the startup items.

    --

    > Noel, well thanks for the precautions.
    >
    > I do run these programs quite often as well as a virus scan.
    >
    > I would like to just tweak a few entries here. Not too sure why these
    > products all of a sudden need to be run first prior to using Microsoft
    > software.

    No. Items listed in the programs file on the start menu.

    Sean wrote:
    > There are a few items I would like to remove from here as well as in the
    > programs list.
    >
    > Sometimes the shortcuts remove fine and am concerned about some of the items
    > that I want to remove in the programs list warning indicates that removing
    > the file will take all associated files to the recycle bin.
    >
    > Am I going something incorrectly?

    If you want to uninstall the software do it from the Add&RemoveSoftware
    thing in ControlPanel

    If you want the programs not to Autostart when Windows boots best place
    is from the programs Options/Preferences.

    Rick

    Huh??

    --

    > No. Items listed in the programs file on the start menu.

Taskbar Start Menu Microsoft Windows