Which Power Supply for AMD Athlon 64 (Winchester Core)?

I would like to know how big a power supply I should get for a
home-built PC. Will it be 200w, 250w, 300w or 350w?

The PC will have the following components:
- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (with Winchester core that is
supposed to consume less power than other Athlon)
(I will not overclock it)
- CPU-cooling fan
- One case fan
- ATI Radeon 9550 8x AGP video card (I don't think
I need a fan for the video card, right?)
- One DVD-ROM drive that can burn CD-RW
- One Seagate 160-GB SATA hard disk (I may or may not
add another hard disk (likely not))
- The motherboard has everything else that I need

How big a power supply should I get?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

"Jay Chan" <jaykchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know how big a power supply I should get for a
> home-built PC. Will it be 200w, 250w, 300w or 350w?
>
> The PC will have the following components:
> - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (with Winchester core that is
> supposed to consume less power than other Athlon)
> (I will not overclock it)
> - CPU-cooling fan
> - One case fan
> - ATI Radeon 9550 8x AGP video card (I don't think
> I need a fan for the video card, right?)
> - One DVD-ROM drive that can burn CD-RW
> - One Seagate 160-GB SATA hard disk (I may or may not
> add another hard disk (likely not))
> - The motherboard has everything else that I need
>
> How big a power supply should I get?
>
> Thanks in advance for any info.
>
> Jay Chan

400W or better. 300W is minimum for your graphics card, assuming the rest
of your system is average (which it is) But then, you want room to upgrade
later, so up that by at least 100W. This doesn't have to be expensive or
noisy though. (see below) Oh, if you need a fan for the video card, the
video card will come with it. -Dave

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-006&depa=0

Andy

Athlon 64 3000+
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 7000 PCI
160 GB Hard Drive
CD-RW Drive
Floppy Drive
Power Supply: Works W365CN4
Power (CPU 0 - 1 %): 74 Watts; PF: .73
(CPU 100 %): 116 Watts; PF: .72

"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
> Athlon 64 3000+
> Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
> 512 MB RAM
> ATI Radeon 7000 PCI
> 160 GB Hard Drive
> CD-RW Drive
> Floppy Drive
> Power Supply: Works W365CN4
> Power (CPU 0 - 1 %): 74 Watts; PF: .73
> (CPU 100 %): 116 Watts; PF: .72

Have you broken that down by rails? -Dave

> > - ATI Radeon 9550 8x AGP video card (I don't think

> 400W or better. 300W is minimum for your graphics card, assuming the rest
> of your system is average (which it is) But then, you want room to upgrade
> later, so up that by at least 100W. This doesn't have to be expensive or
> noisy though.

You are very likely to be right. Another forum member suggests 360w
that is pretty much near your suggestion. I am trying to reduce the
heat from the power supply because I am going to put it inside one of
the beautiful HTPC case that tends to have less space than a full
tower case; that is the reason why I want to use a lesser power
supply. But then I think the fan inside the power supply is going to
blow hot air _out_ of the case anyway. Then heat or no-heat probably
doesn't really matter much. There is a good chance that I will go for
a 400w power supply as you have suggested.

> Oh, if you need a fan for the video card, the video card will come
> with it.

Yes, I am thinking of replacing the ATI Radeon 9550 with ATI Radeon
9600-XT, and ATI Radeon 9600-XT definitely comes with a fan. This
means the power requirement will need to account for the
video-card-fan. Seem like I am not likely to use a 300w power supply,
and I am likely to _need_ a 350w power supply (and probably _want_ a
400w power supply in case I add stuff).

Thanks for the info.

Jay Chan

> Athlon 64 3000+
> Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
> 512 MB RAM
> ATI Radeon 7000 PCI
> 160 GB Hard Drive
> CD-RW Drive
> Floppy Drive
> Power Supply: Works W365CN4
> Power (CPU 0 - 1 %): 74 Watts; PF: .73
> (CPU 100 %): 116 Watts; PF: .72

The W365CN4 power supply is rated as 360W in their web site. Seem like
360W is all I need. I may get a 400W just in case I need to add
another 160GB hard disk to make a RAID-0.

This means I should look for power supplies in the range of 360W to
400W.

Thanks for sharing the info of your PC configuration.

Jay Chan