MVPS HOSTS Updated 02-28-05

'Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File'.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip (49 kb)
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt (215 kb)

Note: the "text" version also make a good reference for determining culprit
URLs.

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)
13 answers Last reply
More about mvps hosts updated

    Silj:

    Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
    And if not, what impact does this program have in delaying start up time.
    Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that I
    mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
    Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.

    Harry.

    "webster72n" wrote:

    > Silj:
    >
    > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?

    Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.

    > And if not, what impact does this program have in delaying start up time.

    No impact on start-up time under Win9x.

    > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that I
    > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
    > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.

    There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
    from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.

    Silj

    --
    siljaline

    MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
    Security Tools Updates
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

    (Reply to group, as return address
    is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    Silj:

    Good to know there are no negative side effects.
    It seems to me that EZ Firewall takes care of this, but couldn't tell for
    sure.
    Heather may know a little more about this.
    Let's wait and see what she might have to say.

    > "webster72n" wrote:
    > >
    > > Silj:
    > >
    > > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
    >
    > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.
    >
    > > And if not, what impact does this program have in delaying start up
    time.

    > No impact on start-up time under Win9x.
    >
    > > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that I
    > > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
    > > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.
    >
    > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
    > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
    >
    > Silj
    >
    > --
    > siljaline
    >
    > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
    > Security Tools Updates
    > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
    >
    > (Reply to group, as return address
    > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    Harry......for what it is worth, I do not run a Hosts file...I have never
    felt the need to do so.

    I find that with SpywareBlaster and AdAware and the usual tweaks and things,
    that it is of no use to me. I have Zone Alarm Pro (EZ Firewall is either
    the free ZA or ZAPro, btw) and it blocks ads and popups. Plus I am now
    using Firefox browser exclusively.....which also does the same thing.

    Thank you for asking......but I have never felt a Hosts File to be of prime
    importance, but that is just *my* opinion.

    Cheers......Heather

    > Silj:
    >
    > Good to know there are no negative side effects.
    > It seems to me that EZ Firewall takes care of this, but couldn't tell for
    > sure.
    > Heather may know a little more about this.
    > Let's wait and see what she might have to say.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > "webster72n" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Silj:
    > > >
    > > > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
    > >
    > > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.
    > >
    > > > And if not, what impact does this program have in delaying start up
    > time.
    > >
    > > No impact on start-up time under Win9x.
    > >
    > > > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that
    > > > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
    > > > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.
    > >
    > > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
    > > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
    > >
    > > Silj
    > >
    > > --
    > > siljaline
    > >
    > > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
    > > Security Tools Updates
    > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
    > >
    > > (Reply to group, as return address
    > > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    See inline......

    "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > "webster72n" wrote:
    > >
    > > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
    >
    > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.

    EZ Firewall is either the free Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro, depending on
    whether you paid for it.....Harry did, IIRC.

    > > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that I
    > > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
    > > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.
    >
    > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
    from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.

    I find that SpywareBlaster, in conjunction with AdAware and Spybot, does the
    job. In fact, I haven't found a piece of spyware in a long time. Running
    AdAware is getting boring, lol!!

    And I don't use IE anymore.....so no more popups & parasites or ads unless I
    choose to let Firefox allow them, which I rarely do.

    Just so you know......8-))

    Figgs

    > Silj
    >
    > --
    > siljaline
    >
    > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
    > Security Tools Updates
    > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
    >
    > (Reply to group, as return address
    > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    Heather:

    I feel so much better now, after reading your comments.
    All the programs you mentioned are installed on my machine and some.
    My paid version of EZ Firewall does the rest, I am certain now. I don't know
    of it being "Pro", but it most certainly does an outstanding job for me.
    Thanks for your participation.

    Harry.

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > See inline......
    >
    > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > "webster72n" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
    > >
    > > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.
    >
    > EZ Firewall is either the free Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro, depending on
    > whether you paid for it.....Harry did, IIRC.
    > >
    > > > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that
    > > > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
    > > > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.
    > >
    > > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
    > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
    >
    > I find that SpywareBlaster, in conjunction with AdAware and Spybot, does
    the
    > job. In fact, I haven't found a piece of spyware in a long time. Running
    > AdAware is getting boring, lol!!
    >
    > And I don't use IE anymore.....so no more popups & parasites or ads unless
    > choose to let Firefox allow them, which I rarely do.
    >
    > Just so you know......8-))
    >
    > Figgs
    > >
    > > Silj
    > >
    > > --
    > > siljaline
    > >
    > > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
    > > Security Tools Updates
    > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
    > >
    > > (Reply to group, as return address
    > > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    Good.....I was pretty sure you paid for your firewall in EZ Trust, so you
    are running the Pro version of Zone Alarm (renamed). Check in the firewall
    and you should see a tab on the left called "Privacy" (looking at my ZAPro
    here, so assume it is in the same place). Click on that and you should see
    that there is *Cookie Control* which I have set at Medium.....and an Ad
    Blocker which is at High.

    Just pick what level you want it to be at or let the ZA Firewall work at the
    Default Level. But on the other hand, I use Firefox which blocks all of
    that stuff anyway. Love that browser!! And it took a lot of persuading by
    the antivirus guys to swing me over to that one.

    Don't try it until you get yourself completely sorted out with your HD and
    partitioning......work on one thing at a time....OK??

    Cheers....Heather

    > Heather:
    >
    > I feel so much better now, after reading your comments.
    > All the programs you mentioned are installed on my machine and some.
    > My paid version of EZ Firewall does the rest, I am certain now. I don't
    know
    > of it being "Pro", but it most certainly does an outstanding job for me.
    > Thanks for your participation.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > See inline......
    > >
    > > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > > > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.
    > >
    > > EZ Firewall is either the free Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro, depending
    on
    > > whether you paid for it.....Harry did, IIRC.

    > > > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed
    sites
    > > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
    > >
    > > I find that SpywareBlaster, in conjunction with AdAware and Spybot, does
    > the
    > > job. In fact, I haven't found a piece of spyware in a long time.
    Running
    > > AdAware is getting boring, lol!!
    > >
    > > And I don't use IE anymore.....so no more popups & parasites or ads
    unless
    > > choose to let Firefox allow them, which I rarely do.
    > >
    > > Just so you know......8-))
    > >
    > > Figgs
    > > >
    > > > Silj
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > siljaline
    > > >
    > > > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
    > > > Security Tools Updates
    > > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
    > > >
    > > > (Reply to group, as return address
    > > > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    No problem, Heather, don't worry.
    Right now I'm sitting really pretty.
    For a while I am going to ride that wave.
    Thanks for your concern, it is much appreciated.

    > Good.....I was pretty sure you paid for your firewall in EZ Trust, so you
    > are running the Pro version of Zone Alarm (renamed). Check in the
    firewall
    > and you should see a tab on the left called "Privacy" (looking at my ZAPro
    > here, so assume it is in the same place). Click on that and you should
    see
    > that there is *Cookie Control* which I have set at Medium.....and an Ad
    > Blocker which is at High.
    >
    > Just pick what level you want it to be at or let the ZA Firewall work at
    the
    > Default Level. But on the other hand, I use Firefox which blocks all of
    > that stuff anyway. Love that browser!! And it took a lot of persuading
    by
    > the antivirus guys to swing me over to that one.
    >
    > Don't try it until you get yourself completely sorted out with your HD and
    > partitioning......work on one thing at a time....OK??
    >
    > Cheers....Heather
    >
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > Heather:
    > >
    > > I feel so much better now, after reading your comments.
    > > All the programs you mentioned are installed on my machine and some.
    > > My paid version of EZ Firewall does the rest, I am certain now. I don't
    > know
    > > of it being "Pro", but it most certainly does an outstanding job for me.
    > > Thanks for your participation.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > > See inline......
    > > >
    > > > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > > > EZ Firewall is either the free Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro, depending
    > on
    > > > whether you paid for it.....Harry did, IIRC.

    > that

    > sites
    > > > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
    > > >
    > > > I find that SpywareBlaster, in conjunction with AdAware and Spybot,
    does
    > > the
    > > > job. In fact, I haven't found a piece of spyware in a long time.
    > Running
    > > > AdAware is getting boring, lol!!
    > > >
    > > > And I don't use IE anymore.....so no more popups & parasites or ads
    > unless
    > > > choose to let Firefox allow them, which I rarely do.
    > > >
    > > > Just so you know......8-))
    > > >
    > > > Figgs

    Harry, there are drawbacks - or, anyway, *a* drawback (must have slipped
    Silj's mind!). The more items your browser has to check each url against,
    the longer it takes to open a site.

    It probably makes no appreciable difference on a recent, fast computer
    except perhaps if besides a long HOSTS file one also has a long list of
    sites in restricted zone (such as supplied by IE-Spyad). Mike Burgess,
    supplier of said HOSTS file, used to recommend using one method or the other
    and that seems like good advice.

    Shane

    > Silj:
    >
    > Good to know there are no negative side effects.
    > It seems to me that EZ Firewall takes care of this, but couldn't tell for
    > sure.
    > Heather may know a little more about this.
    > Let's wait and see what she might have to say.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > "webster72n" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Silj:
    > > >
    > > > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
    > >
    > > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.
    > >
    > > > And if not, what impact does this program have in delaying start up
    > time.
    > >
    > > No impact on start-up time under Win9x.
    > >
    > > > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that
    > > > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
    > > > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.
    > >
    > > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
    > > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
    > >
    > > Silj
    > >
    > > --
    > > siljaline
    > >
    > > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
    > > Security Tools Updates
    > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
    > >
    > > (Reply to group, as return address
    > > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    Thanks Shane.

    I thought so and my machine is not "recent" either.
    These things are good to know, at any rate.
    After reading Heather's replies, I am certain now that my Firewall does the
    trick. It is the paid version.
    Cheers.

    Harry.

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Harry, there are drawbacks - or, anyway, *a* drawback (must have slipped
    > Silj's mind!). The more items your browser has to check each url against,
    > the longer it takes to open a site.
    >
    > It probably makes no appreciable difference on a recent, fast computer
    > except perhaps if besides a long HOSTS file one also has a long list of
    > sites in restricted zone (such as supplied by IE-Spyad). Mike Burgess,
    > supplier of said HOSTS file, used to recommend using one method or the
    other
    > and that seems like good advice.
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Silj:
    > >
    > > Good to know there are no negative side effects.
    > > It seems to me that EZ Firewall takes care of this, but couldn't tell
    for
    > > sure.
    > > Heather may know a little more about this.
    > > Let's wait and see what she might have to say.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > > > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.

    > > time.
    > > >
    > > > No impact on start-up time under Win9x.

    > > > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed
    sites
    > > > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
    > > >
    > > > Silj
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > siljaline
    > > >
    > > > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
    > > > Security Tools Updates
    > > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
    > > >
    > > > (Reply to group, as return address
    > > > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

    Like you Heather I use Firefox now, apart from when doing WU, and love
    it, I also use Thunderbird as my mail client just occasionally going
    with OE to check what rubbish Hotmail has brought in <g>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:

    I use Firefox which blocks all of
    > that stuff anyway. Love that browser!! And it took a lot of persuading by
    > the antivirus guys to swing me over to that one.
    >
    > Don't try it until you get yourself completely sorted out with your HD and
    > partitioning......work on one thing at a time....OK??
    >
    > Cheers....Heather

    Super, isn't it. There are a lot of little things that I like about it,
    besides the speed and no popups. Filling in names & passwords
    automatically, deleting URL's that you don't use for a couple of
    days....just little things, but you would think that Microsoft would include
    them in IE.

    I use Yahoo as my main alternate.....but do have a Hotmail account for
    rubbish too, grin.

    Cheers....off for supper.....Heather

    "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Like you Heather I use Firefox now, apart from when doing WU, and love
    > it, I also use Thunderbird as my mail client just occasionally going
    > with OE to check what rubbish Hotmail has brought in <g>
    > Joan
    >
    > Heather wrote:
    >
    > I use Firefox which blocks all of
    > > that stuff anyway. Love that browser!! And it took a lot of persuading
    by
    > > the antivirus guys to swing me over to that one.
    > >
    > > Don't try it until you get yourself completely sorted out with your HD
    and
    > > partitioning......work on one thing at a time....OK??
    > >
    > > Cheers....Heather

    <lol> I have a Yahoo one, I've had it for a few years when I first
    signed up to one of my cross stitch groups, but never use it <g>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:

    > I use Yahoo as my main alternate.....but do have a Hotmail account for
    > rubbish too, grin.
    >
    > Cheers....off for supper.....Heather

Internet Explorer Security Microsoft Windows