MVPS HOSTS Updated 02-28-05

'Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File'.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip (49 kb)
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt (215 kb)

Note: the "text" version also make a good reference for determining culprit
URLs.

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Silj:

Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
And if not, what impact does this program have in delaying start up time.
Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that I
mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.

Harry.

"webster72n" wrote:

> Silj:
>
> Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?

Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.

> And if not, what impact does this program have in delaying start up time.

No impact on start-up time under Win9x.

> Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that I
> mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
> Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.

There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Silj:

Good to know there are no negative side effects.
It seems to me that EZ Firewall takes care of this, but couldn't tell for
sure.
Heather may know a little more about this.
Let's wait and see what she might have to say.

> "webster72n" wrote:
> >
> > Silj:
> >
> > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
>
> Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.
>
> > And if not, what impact does this program have in delaying start up
time.

> No impact on start-up time under Win9x.
>
> > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that I
> > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
> > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.
>
> There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
> from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
>
> Silj
>
> --
> siljaline
>
> MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
> Security Tools Updates
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
>
> (Reply to group, as return address
> is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Harry......for what it is worth, I do not run a Hosts file...I have never
felt the need to do so.

I find that with SpywareBlaster and AdAware and the usual tweaks and things,
that it is of no use to me. I have Zone Alarm Pro (EZ Firewall is either
the free ZA or ZAPro, btw) and it blocks ads and popups. Plus I am now
using Firefox browser exclusively.....which also does the same thing.

Thank you for asking......but I have never felt a Hosts File to be of prime
importance, but that is just *my* opinion.

Cheers......Heather

> Silj:
>
> Good to know there are no negative side effects.
> It seems to me that EZ Firewall takes care of this, but couldn't tell for
> sure.
> Heather may know a little more about this.
> Let's wait and see what she might have to say.
>
> Harry.
>

> "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > "webster72n" wrote:
> > >
> > > Silj:
> > >
> > > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
> >
> > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.
> >
> > > And if not, what impact does this program have in delaying start up
> time.
> >
> > No impact on start-up time under Win9x.
> >
> > > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that
> > > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
> > > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.
> >
> > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
> > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
> >
> > Silj
> >
> > --
> > siljaline
> >
> > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
> > Security Tools Updates
> > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
> >
> > (Reply to group, as return address
> > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

See inline......

"siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "webster72n" wrote:
> >
> > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
>
> Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.

EZ Firewall is either the free Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro, depending on
whether you paid for it.....Harry did, IIRC.

> > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that I
> > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
> > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.
>
> There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.

I find that SpywareBlaster, in conjunction with AdAware and Spybot, does the
job. In fact, I haven't found a piece of spyware in a long time. Running
AdAware is getting boring, lol!!

And I don't use IE anymore.....so no more popups & parasites or ads unless I
choose to let Firefox allow them, which I rarely do.

Just so you know......:cool:)

Figgs

> Silj
>
> --
> siljaline
>
> MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
> Security Tools Updates
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
>
> (Reply to group, as return address
> is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Heather:

I feel so much better now, after reading your comments.
All the programs you mentioned are installed on my machine and some.
My paid version of EZ Firewall does the rest, I am certain now. I don't know
of it being "Pro", but it most certainly does an outstanding job for me.
Thanks for your participation.

Harry.

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> See inline......
>
> "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > "webster72n" wrote:
> > >
> > > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
> >
> > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.
>
> EZ Firewall is either the free Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro, depending on
> whether you paid for it.....Harry did, IIRC.
> >
> > > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that
> > > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
> > > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.
> >
> > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
> from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
>
> I find that SpywareBlaster, in conjunction with AdAware and Spybot, does
the
> job. In fact, I haven't found a piece of spyware in a long time. Running
> AdAware is getting boring, lol!!
>
> And I don't use IE anymore.....so no more popups & parasites or ads unless
> choose to let Firefox allow them, which I rarely do.
>
> Just so you know......:cool:)
>
> Figgs
> >
> > Silj
> >
> > --
> > siljaline
> >
> > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
> > Security Tools Updates
> > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
> >
> > (Reply to group, as return address
> > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Good.....I was pretty sure you paid for your firewall in EZ Trust, so you
are running the Pro version of Zone Alarm (renamed). Check in the firewall
and you should see a tab on the left called "Privacy" (looking at my ZAPro
here, so assume it is in the same place). Click on that and you should see
that there is *Cookie Control* which I have set at Medium.....and an Ad
Blocker which is at High.

Just pick what level you want it to be at or let the ZA Firewall work at the
Default Level. But on the other hand, I use Firefox which blocks all of
that stuff anyway. Love that browser!! And it took a lot of persuading by
the antivirus guys to swing me over to that one.

Don't try it until you get yourself completely sorted out with your HD and
partitioning......work on one thing at a time....OK??

Cheers....Heather

> Heather:
>
> I feel so much better now, after reading your comments.
> All the programs you mentioned are installed on my machine and some.
> My paid version of EZ Firewall does the rest, I am certain now. I don't
know
> of it being "Pro", but it most certainly does an outstanding job for me.
> Thanks for your participation.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > See inline......
> >
> > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.
> >
> > EZ Firewall is either the free Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro, depending
on
> > whether you paid for it.....Harry did, IIRC.

> > > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed
sites
> > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
> >
> > I find that SpywareBlaster, in conjunction with AdAware and Spybot, does
> the
> > job. In fact, I haven't found a piece of spyware in a long time.
Running
> > AdAware is getting boring, lol!!
> >
> > And I don't use IE anymore.....so no more popups & parasites or ads
unless
> > choose to let Firefox allow them, which I rarely do.
> >
> > Just so you know......:cool:)
> >
> > Figgs
> > >
> > > Silj
> > >
> > > --
> > > siljaline
> > >
> > > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
> > > Security Tools Updates
> > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
> > >
> > > (Reply to group, as return address
> > > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

No problem, Heather, don't worry.
Right now I'm sitting really pretty.
For a while I am going to ride that wave.
Thanks for your concern, it is much appreciated.

> Good.....I was pretty sure you paid for your firewall in EZ Trust, so you
> are running the Pro version of Zone Alarm (renamed). Check in the
firewall
> and you should see a tab on the left called "Privacy" (looking at my ZAPro
> here, so assume it is in the same place). Click on that and you should
see
> that there is *Cookie Control* which I have set at Medium.....and an Ad
> Blocker which is at High.
>
> Just pick what level you want it to be at or let the ZA Firewall work at
the
> Default Level. But on the other hand, I use Firefox which blocks all of
> that stuff anyway. Love that browser!! And it took a lot of persuading
by
> the antivirus guys to swing me over to that one.
>
> Don't try it until you get yourself completely sorted out with your HD and
> partitioning......work on one thing at a time....OK??
>
> Cheers....Heather
>
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > Heather:
> >
> > I feel so much better now, after reading your comments.
> > All the programs you mentioned are installed on my machine and some.
> > My paid version of EZ Firewall does the rest, I am certain now. I don't
> know
> > of it being "Pro", but it most certainly does an outstanding job for me.
> > Thanks for your participation.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > > See inline......
> > >
> > > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > > EZ Firewall is either the free Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro, depending
> on
> > > whether you paid for it.....Harry did, IIRC.

> that

> sites
> > > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
> > >
> > > I find that SpywareBlaster, in conjunction with AdAware and Spybot,
does
> > the
> > > job. In fact, I haven't found a piece of spyware in a long time.
> Running
> > > AdAware is getting boring, lol!!
> > >
> > > And I don't use IE anymore.....so no more popups & parasites or ads
> unless
> > > choose to let Firefox allow them, which I rarely do.
> > >
> > > Just so you know......:cool:)
> > >
> > > Figgs

Shane

Harry, there are drawbacks - or, anyway, *a* drawback (must have slipped
Silj's mind!). The more items your browser has to check each url against,
the longer it takes to open a site.

It probably makes no appreciable difference on a recent, fast computer
except perhaps if besides a long HOSTS file one also has a long list of
sites in restricted zone (such as supplied by IE-Spyad). Mike Burgess,
supplier of said HOSTS file, used to recommend using one method or the other
and that seems like good advice.

Shane

> Silj:
>
> Good to know there are no negative side effects.
> It seems to me that EZ Firewall takes care of this, but couldn't tell for
> sure.
> Heather may know a little more about this.
> Let's wait and see what she might have to say.
>
> Harry.
>

> "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > "webster72n" wrote:
> > >
> > > Silj:
> > >
> > > Isn't 'EZ Firewall' already doing this job?
> >
> > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.
> >
> > > And if not, what impact does this program have in delaying start up
> time.
> >
> > No impact on start-up time under Win9x.
> >
> > > Even if it would delay, can that be considered consequential? By that
> > > mean, does the drawback outweigh the benefits?
> > > Just an "uneducated" question, Silj.
> >
> > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed sites
> > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
> >
> > Silj
> >
> > --
> > siljaline
> >
> > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
> > Security Tools Updates
> > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
> >
> > (Reply to group, as return address
> > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Thanks Shane.

I thought so and my machine is not "recent" either.
These things are good to know, at any rate.
After reading Heather's replies, I am certain now that my Firewall does the
trick. It is the paid version.
Cheers.

Harry.

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Harry, there are drawbacks - or, anyway, *a* drawback (must have slipped
> Silj's mind!). The more items your browser has to check each url against,
> the longer it takes to open a site.
>
> It probably makes no appreciable difference on a recent, fast computer
> except perhaps if besides a long HOSTS file one also has a long list of
> sites in restricted zone (such as supplied by IE-Spyad). Mike Burgess,
> supplier of said HOSTS file, used to recommend using one method or the
other
> and that seems like good advice.
>

> Shane
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Silj:
> >
> > Good to know there are no negative side effects.
> > It seems to me that EZ Firewall takes care of this, but couldn't tell
for
> > sure.
> > Heather may know a little more about this.
> > Let's wait and see what she might have to say.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "siljaline" <siljaline@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > > Some firewalls block DNS, not sure if "EZ" does - never ran it.

> > time.
> > >
> > > No impact on start-up time under Win9x.

> > > There are no drawbacks, other than blanked out ads and disallowed
sites
> > > from loading in IE, aka "coolwebsearch" & parasite sites.
> > >
> > > Silj
> > >
> > > --
> > > siljaline
> > >
> > > MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security (AH-VSOP)
> > > Security Tools Updates
> > > http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31
> > >
> > > (Reply to group, as return address
> > > is invalid - that we may all benefit)

Like you Heather I use Firefox now, apart from when doing WU, and love
it, I also use Thunderbird as my mail client just occasionally going
with OE to check what rubbish Hotmail has brought in <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:

I use Firefox which blocks all of
> that stuff anyway. Love that browser!! And it took a lot of persuading by
> the antivirus guys to swing me over to that one.
>
> Don't try it until you get yourself completely sorted out with your HD and
> partitioning......work on one thing at a time....OK??
>
> Cheers....Heather

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Super, isn't it. There are a lot of little things that I like about it,
besides the speed and no popups. Filling in names & passwords
automatically, deleting URL's that you don't use for a couple of
days....just little things, but you would think that Microsoft would include
them in IE.

I use Yahoo as my main alternate.....but do have a Hotmail account for
rubbish too, grin.

Cheers....off for supper.....Heather

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Like you Heather I use Firefox now, apart from when doing WU, and love
> it, I also use Thunderbird as my mail client just occasionally going
> with OE to check what rubbish Hotmail has brought in <g>
> Joan
>
> Heather wrote:
>
> I use Firefox which blocks all of
> > that stuff anyway. Love that browser!! And it took a lot of persuading
by
> > the antivirus guys to swing me over to that one.
> >
> > Don't try it until you get yourself completely sorted out with your HD
and
> > partitioning......work on one thing at a time....OK??
> >
> > Cheers....Heather

<lol> I have a Yahoo one, I've had it for a few years when I first
signed up to one of my cross stitch groups, but never use it <g>
Joan