Where is my SATA disk?

Hello
I have bought a pc with a maxtor SATA disk.
It is Win XP Home edition as OS, and the pc boot properly
I want to install a new OS

When i try to install the new operating system (XP Pro) i get the message
that there are no disk available.
When i connect a hardrive to one of the IDE channels it works, but why aint
XP capable of finding the SATA-disk ???

PS
The disk is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10
The Motherboard is MSI K8M Neo-V

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Because XP was written before SATA was in general use, thus does not have a
SATA
driver. You need to put the SATA driver on a floppy, and during install
when you
are prompted for mass storage driver install and to hit (I believe it is)
F6, you hit
F6 and it will pull the driver off your floppy and install onto your SATA
drive.

"Arild" <arild@flobak.net> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have bought a pc with a maxtor SATA disk.
> It is Win XP Home edition as OS, and the pc boot properly
> I want to install a new OS
>
> When i try to install the new operating system (XP Pro) i get the message
> that there are no disk available.
> When i connect a hardrive to one of the IDE channels it works, but why
> aint XP capable of finding the SATA-disk ???
>

> PS
> The disk is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10
> The Motherboard is MSI K8M Neo-V

I don't believe that. I have installed XP on sata disks without giving it
any drivers. I would advise the original poster to enter cmos and verify
both IDE and SATA interfaces are enabled. You should even be able to boot
to an old DOS boot disk and have access to the drives, SATA shouldn't
require any additional drivers for such basic tasks.

--Dan

dg wrote:
> I don't believe that. I have installed XP on sata disks without
> giving it any drivers. I would advise the original poster to enter
> cmos and verify both IDE and SATA interfaces are enabled. You should
> even be able to boot to an old DOS boot disk and have access to the
> drives, SATA shouldn't require any additional drivers for such basic
> tasks.

I've built one PC that did require F6 and the SATA drivers on a floppy, and
one that didn't. I couldn't really explain that one. Especially since it was
XP Pro with SP2 included that required the drivers floppy.

Fred.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"J.C.T. Jennings" <name@nospam.com> wrote in message
> dg wrote:
>> I don't believe that. I have installed XP on sata disks without
>> giving it any drivers. I would advise the original poster to enter
>> cmos and verify both IDE and SATA interfaces are enabled. You should
>> even be able to boot to an old DOS boot disk and have access to the
>> drives, SATA shouldn't require any additional drivers for such basic
>> tasks.
>>

> I've built one PC that did require F6 and the SATA drivers on a floppy,
> and
> one that didn't. I couldn't really explain that one. Especially since it
> was
> XP Pro with SP2 included that required the drivers floppy.
>
> Fred.

MS claims there are no additional drivers in service pack 2,
at least at the SP2 plugfest I attended in Boston during the
RC period.

I too have built PCs that required the driver which is why I
mentioned it, I wasn't making it up.... so... believe it!!

Soma SATA controllers require 3rd part driver when installing on Windows XP
(also SP2) and some not. It depends of SATA controller, not of SATA hard
disk. If your controller requieres 3rd party driver any you don't provide
it, Windows XP will not see your disk.

Dominik

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I don't believe that. I have installed XP on sata disks without giving it
> any drivers. I would advise the original poster to enter cmos and verify
> both IDE and SATA interfaces are enabled. You should even be able to boot
> to an old DOS boot disk and have access to the drives, SATA shouldn't
> require any additional drivers for such basic tasks.
>
> --Dan
>
> "Rob" <rob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Because XP was written before SATA was in general use, thus does not have
>> SATA
>> driver. You need to put the SATA driver on a floppy, and during install
>> when you
>> are prompted for mass storage driver install and to hit (I believe it is)
>> F6, you hit
>> F6 and it will pull the driver off your floppy and install onto your SATA
>> drive.

Have you fixed it? What was the solution?

Thanks!
--Dan

"Arild" <arild@flobak.net> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have bought a pc with a maxtor SATA disk.
> It is Win XP Home edition as OS, and the pc boot properly
> I want to install a new OS
>
> When i try to install the new operating system (XP Pro) i get the message
> that there are no disk available.
> When i connect a hardrive to one of the IDE channels it works, but why
aint
> XP capable of finding the SATA-disk ???
>

> PS
> The disk is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10
> The Motherboard is MSI K8M Neo-V

Yes, I agree. And in some cases, without pressing F6 and adding a driver
you can install XP but you will not have some features of the controller
such as RAID. This is the case with the ICH5R controller. One must repair
XP and add drivers if he decides later he wants a raid array.

--Dan

"Dominik Roblek" <droblek@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Soma SATA controllers require 3rd part driver when installing on Windows
XP
> (also SP2) and some not. It depends of SATA controller, not of SATA hard
> disk. If your controller requieres 3rd party driver any you don't provide
> it, Windows XP will not see your disk.
>
> Dominik

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

> Have you fixed it? What was the solution?
>
> Thanks!
> --Dan
>
> "Arild" <arild@flobak.net> wrote in message
>> Hello
>> I have bought a pc with a maxtor SATA disk.
>> It is Win XP Home edition as OS, and the pc boot properly
>> I want to install a new OS
>>
>> When i try to install the new operating system (XP Pro) i get the message
>> that there are no disk available.
>> When i connect a hardrive to one of the IDE channels it works, but why
> aint
>> XP capable of finding the SATA-disk ???

Depends quite a bit on the SATA controller (which I believe someone has
already mentioned). For example my Gigabyte (NF2) board requires a driver
(F6 during XP install) but the NF3-250 mobos don't (someone purlease correct
me if I'm wrong!!).

BillL

>> PS
>> The disk is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10
>> The Motherboard is MSI K8M Neo-V

You also have to set it up in BIOS.

I also have a new MSI board, not yours and had no problem, but if the
bios is set wrong boot up will not see the drive.

In ATA config

ATA OnChip Operate Mode: Native
ATA Config: PATA
PATA Keep Enabled: Yes