Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

I know that DDR2 is newer but how is the performance on them?
is it any much difference?

how would they work on the 939 or 940 sockets ?

Thanks
Steph

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in

> how would they work on the 939 or 940 sockets ?

They don't work in the current 939 or 940 sockets.
Rumors/Speculation/Roadmaps, whatever, are that next year sometime AMD will
begin to support DDR2 .

performance difference is measurable with benchmark progs, not by look and
feel....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> kirjoitti viestissä
> I know that DDR2 is newer but how is the performance on them?
> is it any much difference?
>
> how would they work on the 939 or 940 sockets ?
>
> Thanks
> Steph

> I know that DDR2 is newer but how is the performance on them?
> is it any much difference?
>
> how would they work on the 939 or 940 sockets ?

I've not seen any 939/940 boards which will take DDR2. It's only readily
available on Intel's LGA775 form factor P4 platform. Performance
increase over DDR is negligible in most desktop/graphics applications.
And as I'm sure you know, DDR2 is on average 90% more expensive than an
equivalent DDR module.

DjBx

"Daniel J Beardsall" <beardsall@ukfsn.org> wrote in message
>> I know that DDR2 is newer but how is the performance on them?
>> is it any much difference?
>>
>> how would they work on the 939 or 940 sockets ?
>
> I've not seen any 939/940 boards which will take DDR2. It's only readily
> available on Intel's LGA775 form factor P4 platform. Performance increase
> over DDR is negligible in most desktop/graphics applications. And as I'm
> sure you know, DDR2 is on average 90% more expensive than an equivalent
> DDR module.
>
> DjBx

I think Daniel is right, and the issue is latency. DDR2 offers twice the
bandwidth but also twice the latency (i.e. CL 4). Correct me if I'm
mistaken.

The Athlon 64/Opteron does not currently support DDR2. You won't see any
DDR2 boards for these cpu's anytime soon since the memory controller is on
the cpu die so standard DDR is all that it supports. I don't see AMD
changing the cpu core just to add support for DDR2 (which would effectively
remove support for standard DDR). Maybe in their next major cpu release. I
think with hypertransport standard DDR will be fine for quite a while.

Stephan wrote:

> I know that DDR2 is newer but how is the performance on them?
> is it any much difference?
>
> how would they work on the 939 or 940 sockets ?

They don't. Dual Channel DDR works in the 939 socket, but DDR2 only works in
the Intel 775 socket.

BTW, current DDR2 is slower than DDR, but in the future it may be faster.