Help with Mobo needed

Dino

I have a PC at the moment that keeps crashing.

I have tried chaging video card / fans / heatsinks PSU etc with no success.
The machine will run fine until i try to convert video files etc. It then
crashes and leaves a red 25mm band of red across the top of the screen. My
next stage is to replace the Mobo. However, i do not want to spend loads as
i have already spent a few quid ond got nowwhere.

Spec is as follows any help will be very helpfull

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE
6.0 SP1)
DirectX 4.09.00.0902
(DirectX 9.0b)
Computer Name DINO-TL7DK15PJY
User Name Dino

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1673
MHz (12.5 x 134) 2000+
Motherboard Name Acorp 7KT266AL /
Jetway 867AS(-H)/V266A/V266B
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8366(A)/8367
Apollo KT266(A)/KT333
System Memory 512 MB (Virtual
Channel DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (05/10/02)
Communication Port Communications Port
(COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port
(COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter GeForce2 MX/MX 400
(64 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2
MX/MX 400 (64 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2
MX/MX 400
Monitor Plug and Play
Monitor [NoDB] (000000000000)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB Live!
Sound Card

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE
Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller A347SCSI SCSI
Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller PrecSim SCSI
Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller ST3WOLF SCSI
Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive IC35L080AVVA07-0
(82 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120P0 (120
GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-2510A
Optical Drive ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X
(16x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI
CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive Generic STEALTH DVD
SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive Generic STEALTH DVD
SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive Image Simulation
SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 78509 MB (38345 MB
free)
D: (NTFS) 117239 MB (8858 MB
free)

Input:
Keyboard PC/AT Enhanced PS/2
Keyboard (101/102-Key)
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP)
Interface (84.65.110.129)
Modem Intel(R) 536EP Modem

Peripherals:
Printer HP DeskJet 895Cxi
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
Controller
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
Controller
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
Controller
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced
Host Controller
USB Device Alcatel Speed Touch
ADSL Modem

Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

"dino" <dean@dino07.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a PC at the moment that keeps crashing.
>
> I have tried chaging video card / fans / heatsinks PSU etc with no
success.
> The machine will run fine until i try to convert video files etc. It then
> crashes and leaves a red 25mm band of red across the top of the screen. My
> next stage is to replace the Mobo. However, i do not want to spend loads
as
> i have already spent a few quid ond got nowwhere.
>
> Spec is as follows any help will be very helpfull
>

> Computer:
> Operating System Microsoft Windows
XP
> Professional
> OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
> Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE
> 6.0 SP1)
> DirectX 4.09.00.0902
> (DirectX 9.0b)
> Computer Name DINO-TL7DK15PJY
> User Name Dino
>
> Motherboard:
> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP,
1673
> MHz (12.5 x 134) 2000+
> Motherboard Name Acorp 7KT266AL /
> Jetway 867AS(-H)/V266A/V266B
> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8366(A)/8367
> Apollo KT266(A)/KT333
> System Memory 512 MB (Virtual
> Channel DDR SDRAM)
> BIOS Type Award (05/10/02)
> Communication Port Communications
Port
> (COM1)
> Communication Port Communications
Port
> (COM2)
> Communication Port Printer Port
(LPT1)

> Display:
> Video Adapter GeForce2 MX/MX 400
> (64 MB)
> Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2
> MX/MX 400 (64 MB)
> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2
> MX/MX 400
> Monitor Plug and Play
> Monitor [NoDB] (000000000000)
>
> Multimedia:
> Audio Adapter Creative SB Live!
> Sound Card
>
> Storage:
> IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE
> Controller
> SCSI/RAID Controller A347SCSI SCSI
> Controller
> SCSI/RAID Controller PrecSim SCSI
> Controller
> SCSI/RAID Controller ST3WOLF SCSI
> Controller
> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
> Disk Drive IC35L080AVVA07-0
> (82 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
> Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120P0
(120
> GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
> Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW
ND-2510A
> Optical Drive ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X
> (16x DVD-ROM)
> Optical Drive AXV CD/DVD-ROM
SCSI
> CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
> Optical Drive Generic STEALTH
DVD
> SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
> Optical Drive Generic STEALTH
DVD
> SCSI CdRom Device (Virtual DVD-ROM)
> Optical Drive Image Simulation
> SCSI CdRom Device
> SMART Hard Disks Status OK
>
> Partitions:
> C: (FAT32) 78509 MB (38345 MB
> free)
> D: (NTFS) 117239 MB (8858 MB
> free)
>
> Input:
> Keyboard PC/AT Enhanced
PS/2
> Keyboard (101/102-Key)
> Mouse Microsoft PS/2
Mouse

> Network:
> Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP)
> Interface (84.65.110.129)
> Modem Intel(R) 536EP
Modem

> Peripherals:
> Printer HP DeskJet 895Cxi
> USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572
PCI-USB
> Controller
> USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572
PCI-USB
> Controller
> USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572
PCI-USB
> Controller
> USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572
PCI-USB
> Controller
> USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0
Enhanced
> Host Controller
> USB Device Alcatel Speed
Touch
> ADSL Modem

Wow, you listed just about everything. That's allot on a pc. What is the
wattage on your power supply? (u left out)

steveh

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> "dino" <dean@dino07.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I have a PC at the moment that keeps crashing.

<snip>

> Wow, you listed just about everything. That's allot on a pc. What is the
> wattage on your power supply? (u left out)

And, what are the amperages? Is it a decent quality PSU. The wattage could
be immaterial if the PSU is rubbish to start with.

Also, what temps is the o/p getting when the PC crashes?

SteveH

"dino" <dean@dino07.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<coqesm$epi$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> I have a PC at the moment that keeps crashing.
>
> I have tried chaging video card / fans / heatsinks PSU etc with no success.
> The machine will run fine until i try to convert video files etc. It then
> crashes and leaves a red 25mm band of red across the top of the screen. My
> next stage is to replace the Mobo. However, i do not want to spend loads as
> i have already spent a few quid ond got nowwhere.
>
> Spec is as follows any help will be very helpfull

......snip........

Did you try substituting the memory with a known good one ? Or checked
it with memtest86 ? Or the HDD with Scandisk or Spinrite ?

Dino

"SteveH" <steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> > "dino" <dean@dino07.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> I have a PC at the moment that keeps crashing.
> >>
> <snip>
> >

> > Wow, you listed just about everything. That's allot on a pc. What is the
> > wattage on your power supply? (u left out)
> >

> And, what are the amperages? Is it a decent quality PSU. The wattage could
> be immaterial if the PSU is rubbish to start with.
>
> Also, what temps is the o/p getting when the PC crashes?
>
> SteveH

CPU gets to 47 deg C (not that hot really).

The PSU is a 500W. Ebuyer special.

I used to have a 300W but changed it to this 500W and thought this would be
the issue. No luck so far.

Dino

> "SteveH" <steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> > > "dino" <dean@dino07.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > >>
> > <snip>
> > >

> > > Wow, you listed just about everything. That's allot on a pc. What is
the
> > > wattage on your power supply? (u left out)
> > >

> > And, what are the amperages? Is it a decent quality PSU. The wattage
could
> > be immaterial if the PSU is rubbish to start with.
> >
> > Also, what temps is the o/p getting when the PC crashes?
> >
> > SteveH
> >

> CPU gets to 47 deg C (not that hot really).
>
> The PSU is a 500W. Ebuyer special.
>
> I used to have a 300W but changed it to this 500W and thought this would
be
> the issue. No luck so far.

Thanks for the info. I have tried memtest and another memory tester (no
issues).

I have also changed about every setting (no change). The machine was OK for
the first 18 months or so but no crashes constantly. It seems to be getting
worse to the point of only letter 1 bittorrent file download at a time now.
If I try 2 it crashes after a few minutes.

Any help is appreshated as this has now been going on for months and I canot
work it out and therefore was asking for new MoBo options (fairly cheap was
I only want the computer to do what it did before).

Dino

"Zotin Khuma" <zotin_k@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> "dino" <dean@dino07.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I have a PC at the moment that keeps crashing.
> >
> > I have tried chaging video card / fans / heatsinks PSU etc with no
success.
> > The machine will run fine until i try to convert video files etc. It
then
> > crashes and leaves a red 25mm band of red across the top of the screen.
My
> > next stage is to replace the Mobo. However, i do not want to spend loads
as
> > i have already spent a few quid ond got nowwhere.
> >
> > Spec is as follows any help will be very helpfull
> >
> .....snip........
>
> Did you try substituting the memory with a known good one ? Or checked
> it with memtest86 ? Or the HDD with Scandisk or Spinrite ?

Tried scan dsk memtest and another (no problems)
I dont have known good memory to try.

Have you or anyone else seen a red band across the top of the screen. I have
searched and can find no other people with this issue. There must be more
than me.

Have also just unplugged everthing that is not needed DVD drives second HDD
etc still crashes between one hour or 5 minutes.

Just lost as what to do next apart from new Mobo. Dont know why this might
help.

> "Zotin Khuma" <zotin_k@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> > "dino" <dean@dino07.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > I have a PC at the moment that keeps crashing.
> > .....snip........
> >
> > Did you try substituting the memory with a known good one ? Or checked
> > it with memtest86 ? Or the HDD with Scandisk or Spinrite ?
>
> Tried scan dsk memtest and another (no problems)
> I dont have known good memory to try.
>
> Have you or anyone else seen a red band across the top of the screen. I
have
> searched and can find no other people with this issue. There must be more
> than me.
>
> Have also just unplugged everthing that is not needed DVD drives second
HDD
> etc still crashes between one hour or 5 minutes.
>
> Just lost as what to do next apart from new Mobo. Dont know why this might
> help.

I don't know if I've seen exactly what you described, but I *have* seen
display
corruption plus system crash caused by bad memory.

I also can't say for sure if I've ever had problems caused by memory that
was
passed as OK by memtest, but I've had a couple of new memory sticks that
were
shown as having a few bad cells by memtest, but never caused any problem in
use. I installed these in a new computer I assembled for a friend, alerted
him
about the memtest result, and was ready to replace them if they caused any
problem. Months have passed but they never did.

Have you tried reinstalling software, including the display drivers ?

dino wrote:

Couple of things to try:

Remove all PCI cards. Vacuum the board and PCI slots - even better for
the slots, get a can of sprayduster and give them a blast.

Replace cards in different slots. Leave the Creative Soundblaster out
for a while; these cards and VIA chipsets are quite fussy. Don't put a
card in PCI slots 1 and 5 at the same time; they often share the same
IRQ.

Boot the machine again.

If this still happens, you need to consider the hard drive. It's a
Maxtor. They fail regularly, and can cause gibberish to appear on the
screen. (If you're lucky it may just be the cable.)

Then, if you are still having problems, you need to remove the other PCI
cards and try again.

Also consider trying the Maxtor drive on a different IDE channel.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts