Loss of drivers , some fixed, but still no sound

My ME system took a strange hit. System locked up and I had to power off/on
(not totally unusual).
However this time on regaining power, I had no Mouse, and the Video had
reverted to basic 600x480 16 color.
Tried changing video resolution, but after reboot it was still 600x480.

I recovered the mouse by re-installing the driver.
I could not recover the video by re-installing video driver, but eventually
did so after re-installing the driver for NVIDIA GeForce display adaptor.

I thought all was well until I found that Sound had gone too (on board chip)
Tried reinstalling drivers for this many times, but no joy here.
Winamp gives me "Error code 2 mmsystem002A device id has been used that is
out of range with your system" and occasional kernell32.dll error
Have tried various suggestions from http://www.geocities.com/mmsystem002/ as
advised by winamp, to no avail
(CD audio is ok)

Could anyone advise any other suggestions for recovering sound.

all drivers were re-installed from supplied drivers/utility cd

thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about loss drivers fixed sound

    Have you tried using system restore to roll your system back to a
    checkpoint created prior to your problems?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Frank <frank@harrysplace.com> wrote:

    > My ME system took a strange hit. System locked up and I had to power
    > off/on (not totally unusual).
    > However this time on regaining power, I had no Mouse, and the Video
    > had reverted to basic 600x480 16 color.
    > Tried changing video resolution, but after reboot it was still
    > 600x480.
    >
    > I recovered the mouse by re-installing the driver.
    > I could not recover the video by re-installing video driver, but
    > eventually did so after re-installing the driver for NVIDIA GeForce
    > display adaptor.
    >
    > I thought all was well until I found that Sound had gone too (on
    > board chip) Tried reinstalling drivers for this many times, but no
    > joy here.
    > Winamp gives me "Error code 2 mmsystem002A device id has been used
    > that is out of range with your system" and occasional kernell32.dll
    > error
    > Have tried various suggestions from
    > http://www.geocities.com/mmsystem002/ as advised by winamp, to no
    > avail (CD audio is ok)
    >
    > Could anyone advise any other suggestions for recovering sound.
    >
    > all drivers were re-installed from supplied drivers/utility cd
    >
    > thanks

    Thanks for suggestion - I never thought of that, never having needed to
    restore before.
    I have just tried to restore to last point 2 days ago (well before event)
    Goes as far as rebooting, then reports restore failed. I think it also
    flashed an error message re a DLL file possibly kernell32.dll. Tried to
    restore a second time, to confirm dll message, restore failed again but
    never got the dll message again.
    there does not seem to be any other previous restore points.
    anything i can do with kernell32.dll ?

    system all looks fine apart from sound.

    "Mike M" wrote
    > Have you tried using system restore to roll your system back to a
    > checkpoint created prior to your problems?

    Your restore problem could be due to not having the 290700 hotfix
    installed when the checkpoints were created which unfortunately means they
    are useless. Without more information I don't think anyone will be able
    to help regarding your kernel32.dll error. As for your sound problems my
    advice would be to boot to Safe Mode, open the Device Manager, and delete
    all entries relating to your sound chip. Then reboot back into Normal
    Mode and let Win Me redetect your hardware and reinstall the necessary
    drivers.

    Restoration Unsuccessful:
    What is the version of the file smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
    You can check this by locating this file in Windows Explorer, selecting,
    right clicking and choosing Properties and then clicking the Version tab.
    If not 4.90.0.3003 then that could be the cause of the problem and you
    need to download and install the 290700 patch for system restore. The
    easiest way to do this is from the link in the associated KB article
    (KB290700 - "Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not
    restore your computer" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=290700).

    It is also possible that at one stage you did install this patch but have
    subsequently reinstalled Win Me over itself using the Win Me CD. Doing
    this causes the original, broken, version of smgr.dll to be reinstalled.
    If this problem is a result of your having reinstalled Win Me over itself
    may I recommend you to download and use the Belarc Advisor
    (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in
    identify which other patches also need to be reinstalled.

    Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying out
    the following quick test.
    a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    b) Create a manual checkpoint
    c) Delete the shortcut
    d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
    Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Frank <frank@harrysplace.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for suggestion - I never thought of that, never having needed
    > to restore before.
    > I have just tried to restore to last point 2 days ago (well before
    > event) Goes as far as rebooting, then reports restore failed. I think
    > it also flashed an error message re a DLL file possibly
    > kernell32.dll. Tried to restore a second time, to confirm dll
    > message, restore failed again but never got the dll message again.
    > there does not seem to be any other previous restore points.
    > anything i can do with kernell32.dll ?
    >
    > system all looks fine apart from sound.

    Thanks again for aaall the advice.
    I did the safe mode thing but still getting no sound.
    Device manager for Sound controller says "working properly"
    but Sounds & Multimedia says "no playback device"
    still getting kernel32.dll errors when attemting to play sound files esp.
    with winamp
    cd audio plays ok out of cd drives

    maybe I will try installing a soundcard to replace former on board soundchip
    will check out the restore thing later.

    thanks

    > Your restore problem could be due to not having the 290700 hotfix
    > installed when the checkpoints were created which unfortunately means they
    > are useless. Without more information I don't think anyone will be able
    > to help regarding your kernel32.dll error. As for your sound problems my
    > advice would be to boot to Safe Mode, open the Device Manager, and delete
    > all entries relating to your sound chip. Then reboot back into Normal
    > Mode and let Win Me redetect your hardware and reinstall the necessary
    > drivers.

    > Boot into Safe Mode, look for ALL occurrences of Sound Cards (including
    > games controllers) and "Remove" them ALL in Device Manager.

    Tried it before but did not remove items 1 & 3 below. will try again -
    before I do :-
    in normal mode I have sound drivers for :
    1. Gameport joystick
    2. VIA AC97 Audio Controller (WDM)
    and 3. Total Recorder (recording software)

    In Safe mode Game port did not show, the other two did
    plus there was several (over 10) other items such as
    streaming devices et which do not show in normal mode.

    any idea why that should be, before I go removing them ?

    As a 'rule of thumb' - anything that you "remove" from Device Manager will
    be re-detected and re-installed (as long as it is still connected!) when
    next you reboot into Normal Mode. However, Safe Mode will 'remember'
    anything that has been installed even if it is not shown (nor used) in
    Normal Mode (unless/until it has previously been "Removed" in Safe Mode)

    This situation *can* (and often does!) result in a driver soup, whereby the
    OS can become 'confused' as to exactly which bits of driver utility files it
    should actually be using.

    From the first post of your thread (which also included video and mouse
    issues) I wonder if you've also got other 'ingredients' in your soup after
    your 'major failure'. You 'appear' to have now resolved your video and mouse
    issues - by (hopefully) following the above rational.

    You should try "Removing" any items (including your 10 'other items') along
    with any ALL duplicated devices and/or devices with yellow exclamation or
    question marks in Safe Mode.

    Reboot into Normal mode and let WinMe redetect and install them. So long as
    you still have copies of the original drivers for each of your devices, you
    should always be able to re-install them (not over-install them! <g>) to get
    you out of trouble.

    HTH and good luck

    Mart

    "Frank" <frank@harrysplace.com> wrote in message

    >> Boot into Safe Mode, look for ALL occurrences of Sound Cards (including
    >> games controllers) and "Remove" them ALL in Device Manager.
    >
    > Tried it before but did not remove items 1 & 3 below. will try again -
    > before I do :-
    > in normal mode I have sound drivers for :
    > 1. Gameport joystick
    > 2. VIA AC97 Audio Controller (WDM)
    > and 3. Total Recorder (recording software)
    >
    > In Safe mode Game port did not show, the other two did
    > plus there was several (over 10) other items such as
    > streaming devices et which do not show in normal mode.
    >
    > any idea why that should be, before I go removing them ?

    OK,
    1. I have rebooted to Safe Mode and removed every single driver referring
    to sound & gameport

    2. Rebooted aagain to normal - unfortunately sound still does not work -
    maybe sound chip blown.
    Sound drive and game port drivers were reinstalled ok at 2. and show up ok
    in device list again.
    When trying sound with WINAMP I still get :
    winamp has caused kernel32.dll error
    When trying another sound program CDWAV I get :
    MMSYSTEM002 A device ID has been used that is out of range for your
    system

    The other driver for Total Recorder software previously listed, did not come
    back in the device list- maybe I need to do something with Total Recorder to
    get that back. (Won't work right now anyway, soundwise)

    If I was to put in a new sound card now, to replace 'busted' soundchip, do I
    need to do anything other than just instal it ? How will pc know to look
    for soundcard and not sound chip (as it does now)

    Thanks for all your great help.

    The procedure demands that you break a problem down into
    parts, then verify those separate parts. For example, you are
    trying to debug Windows, drivers, and sound hardware
    simultaneously. That is wrong. Any responsible computer
    vendor provides you comprehensive hardware diagnostics for
    their entire system - for free. Available on their web site
    and sometimes also on the hard drive. However if your
    computer supplier was not responsible, then obtain same
    diagnostic from the component manufacturer.

    Diagnostics don't even require Windows to execute. That is
    exactly what you want. Diagnostic executes sound card only
    and without even special drivers. Once you have established
    hardware integrity, only then are you ready to move on to
    other suspects. Currently I see nothing that says you even
    know that the sound card or speakers are working properly. If
    not, then you are most likely spinning wheels in mud.

    If hardware does not verify, then again break the problem
    down into component parts. Separate soundcard and speakers
    for verification. One never fixes something by loading up
    everything. Otherwise, other things end up getting broken -
    exponentially increasing the complexity of a problem. Clearly
    with all that Windows reloading, you have only complicated the
    problem by also changing what was once known good.

    Verify the integrity of soundcard hardware before even

    Frank wrote:
    > OK,
    > 1. I have rebooted to Safe Mode and removed every single driver referring
    > to sound & gameport
    >
    > 2. Rebooted aagain to normal - unfortunately sound still does not work -
    > maybe sound chip blown.
    > Sound drive and game port drivers were reinstalled ok at 2. and show up ok
    > in device list again.
    > When trying sound with WINAMP I still get :
    > winamp has caused kernel32.dll error
    > When trying another sound program CDWAV I get :
    > MMSYSTEM002 A device ID has been used that is out of range for your
    > system
    >
    > The other driver for Total Recorder software previously listed, did not come
    > back in the device list- maybe I need to do something with Total Recorder to
    > get that back. (Won't work right now anyway, soundwise)
    >
    > If I was to put in a new sound card now, to replace 'busted' soundchip, do I
    > need to do anything other than just instal it ? How will pc know to look
    > for soundcard and not sound chip (as it does now)
    >
    > Thanks for all your great help.

    Frank, I can't help you regarding Total Recorder as I don't have/use it,
    except to suggest that you Uninstall & "Remove" (It's not part of WinMe of
    course!) for the duration, whilst you concentrate on troubleshooting your
    'on-board' sound chip. It may or may not be conflicting with the soundchip
    resources.

    > If I was to put in a new sound card now, to replace 'busted'
    > soundchip, do I need to do anything other than just instal it ?
    > How will pc know to look for soundcard and not sound chip
    > (as it does now)

    Before you finally decide to take that route, be sure to eliminate Total
    Recorder and/or any other issues first. It *may* just be caused by a
    resource and/or driver conflict.

    However, if you are left with no alternative but to 'upgrade' to a sound
    card, you will need to "Remove" the current drivers and disable the on-board
    sound chip in your BIOS - see your PC User Manual. Once this is done
    successfully, then you will be able to install your soundcard - according to
    the manufactures instructions.

    Just a little troubled by your earlier reference to "My ME system took a
    strange hit." - Power surge? Lightning? Can't help wondering what caused
    these hardware/drivers to become dysfunctional all at the same time. - Any
    further damage?

    > OK,
    > 1. I have rebooted to Safe Mode and removed every single driver referring
    > to sound & gameport
    >
    > 2. Rebooted aagain to normal - unfortunately sound still does not work -
    > maybe sound chip blown.
    > Sound drive and game port drivers were reinstalled ok at 2. and show up ok
    > in device list again.
    > When trying sound with WINAMP I still get :
    > winamp has caused kernel32.dll error
    > When trying another sound program CDWAV I get :
    > MMSYSTEM002 A device ID has been used that is out of range for your
    > system
    >
    > The other driver for Total Recorder software previously listed, did not
    > come
    > back in the device list- maybe I need to do something with Total Recorder
    > get that back. (Won't work right now anyway, soundwise)
    >
    > If I was to put in a new sound card now, to replace 'busted' soundchip, do
    > need to do anything other than just instal it ? How will pc know to look
    > for soundcard and not sound chip (as it does now)
    >
    > Thanks for all your great help.

Drivers Windows