Loss of drivers , some fixed, but still no sound

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My ME system took a strange hit. System locked up and I had to power off/on
(not totally unusual).
However this time on regaining power, I had no Mouse, and the Video had
reverted to basic 600x480 16 color.
Tried changing video resolution, but after reboot it was still 600x480.

I recovered the mouse by re-installing the driver.
I could not recover the video by re-installing video driver, but eventually
did so after re-installing the driver for NVIDIA GeForce display adaptor.

I thought all was well until I found that Sound had gone too (on board chip)
Tried reinstalling drivers for this many times, but no joy here.
Winamp gives me "Error code 2 mmsystem002A device id has been used that is
out of range with your system" and occasional kernell32.dll error
Have tried various suggestions from http://www.geocities.com/mmsystem002/ as
advised by winamp, to no avail
(CD audio is ok)

Could anyone advise any other suggestions for recovering sound.

all drivers were re-installed from supplied drivers/utility cd

thanks

Have you tried using system restore to roll your system back to a
checkpoint created prior to your problems?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Frank <frank@harrysplace.com> wrote:

> My ME system took a strange hit. System locked up and I had to power
> off/on (not totally unusual).
> However this time on regaining power, I had no Mouse, and the Video
> had reverted to basic 600x480 16 color.
> Tried changing video resolution, but after reboot it was still
> 600x480.
>
> I recovered the mouse by re-installing the driver.
> I could not recover the video by re-installing video driver, but
> eventually did so after re-installing the driver for NVIDIA GeForce
> display adaptor.
>
> I thought all was well until I found that Sound had gone too (on
> board chip) Tried reinstalling drivers for this many times, but no
> joy here.
> Winamp gives me "Error code 2 mmsystem002A device id has been used
> that is out of range with your system" and occasional kernell32.dll
> error
> Have tried various suggestions from
> http://www.geocities.com/mmsystem002/ as advised by winamp, to no
> avail (CD audio is ok)
>
> Could anyone advise any other suggestions for recovering sound.
>
> all drivers were re-installed from supplied drivers/utility cd
>
> thanks

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for suggestion - I never thought of that, never having needed to
restore before.
I have just tried to restore to last point 2 days ago (well before event)
Goes as far as rebooting, then reports restore failed. I think it also
flashed an error message re a DLL file possibly kernell32.dll. Tried to
restore a second time, to confirm dll message, restore failed again but
never got the dll message again.
there does not seem to be any other previous restore points.
anything i can do with kernell32.dll ?

system all looks fine apart from sound.

"Mike M" wrote
> Have you tried using system restore to roll your system back to a
> checkpoint created prior to your problems?

Your restore problem could be due to not having the 290700 hotfix
installed when the checkpoints were created which unfortunately means they
are useless. Without more information I don't think anyone will be able
to help regarding your kernel32.dll error. As for your sound problems my
advice would be to boot to Safe Mode, open the Device Manager, and delete
all entries relating to your sound chip. Then reboot back into Normal
Mode and let Win Me redetect your hardware and reinstall the necessary
drivers.

Restoration Unsuccessful:
What is the version of the file smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
You can check this by locating this file in Windows Explorer, selecting,
right clicking and choosing Properties and then clicking the Version tab.
If not 4.90.0.3003 then that could be the cause of the problem and you
need to download and install the 290700 patch for system restore. The
easiest way to do this is from the link in the associated KB article
(KB290700 - "Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not
restore your computer" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=290700).

It is also possible that at one stage you did install this patch but have
subsequently reinstalled Win Me over itself using the Win Me CD. Doing
this causes the original, broken, version of smgr.dll to be reinstalled.
If this problem is a result of your having reinstalled Win Me over itself
may I recommend you to download and use the Belarc Advisor
(http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in
identify which other patches also need to be reinstalled.

Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying out
the following quick test.
a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
b) Create a manual checkpoint
c) Delete the shortcut
d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Frank <frank@harrysplace.com> wrote:

> Thanks for suggestion - I never thought of that, never having needed
> to restore before.
> I have just tried to restore to last point 2 days ago (well before
> event) Goes as far as rebooting, then reports restore failed. I think
> it also flashed an error message re a DLL file possibly
> kernell32.dll. Tried to restore a second time, to confirm dll
> message, restore failed again but never got the dll message again.
> there does not seem to be any other previous restore points.
> anything i can do with kernell32.dll ?
>
> system all looks fine apart from sound.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks again for aaall the advice.
I did the safe mode thing but still getting no sound.
Device manager for Sound controller says "working properly"
but Sounds & Multimedia says "no playback device"
still getting kernel32.dll errors when attemting to play sound files esp.
with winamp
cd audio plays ok out of cd drives

maybe I will try installing a soundcard to replace former on board soundchip
will check out the restore thing later.

thanks

> Your restore problem could be due to not having the 290700 hotfix
> installed when the checkpoints were created which unfortunately means they
> are useless. Without more information I don't think anyone will be able
> to help regarding your kernel32.dll error. As for your sound problems my
> advice would be to boot to Safe Mode, open the Device Manager, and delete
> all entries relating to your sound chip. Then reboot back into Normal
> Mode and let Win Me redetect your hardware and reinstall the necessary
> drivers.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Boot into Safe Mode, look for ALL occurrences of Sound Cards (including
> games controllers) and "Remove" them ALL in Device Manager.

Tried it before but did not remove items 1 & 3 below. will try again -
before I do :-
in normal mode I have sound drivers for :
1. Gameport joystick
2. VIA AC97 Audio Controller (WDM)
and 3. Total Recorder (recording software)

In Safe mode Game port did not show, the other two did
plus there was several (over 10) other items such as
streaming devices et which do not show in normal mode.

any idea why that should be, before I go removing them ?

As a 'rule of thumb' - anything that you "remove" from Device Manager will
be re-detected and re-installed (as long as it is still connected!) when
next you reboot into Normal Mode. However, Safe Mode will 'remember'
anything that has been installed even if it is not shown (nor used) in
Normal Mode (unless/until it has previously been "Removed" in Safe Mode)

This situation *can* (and often does!) result in a driver soup, whereby the
OS can become 'confused' as to exactly which bits of driver utility files it
should actually be using.

From the first post of your thread (which also included video and mouse
issues) I wonder if you've also got other 'ingredients' in your soup after
your 'major failure'. You 'appear' to have now resolved your video and mouse
issues - by (hopefully) following the above rational.

You should try "Removing" any items (including your 10 'other items') along
with any ALL duplicated devices and/or devices with yellow exclamation or
question marks in Safe Mode.

Reboot into Normal mode and let WinMe redetect and install them. So long as
you still have copies of the original drivers for each of your devices, you
should always be able to re-install them (not over-install them! <g>) to get
you out of trouble.

HTH and good luck

Mart

"Frank" <frank@harrysplace.com> wrote in message

>> Boot into Safe Mode, look for ALL occurrences of Sound Cards (including
>> games controllers) and "Remove" them ALL in Device Manager.
>
> Tried it before but did not remove items 1 & 3 below. will try again -
> before I do :-
> in normal mode I have sound drivers for :
> 1. Gameport joystick
> 2. VIA AC97 Audio Controller (WDM)
> and 3. Total Recorder (recording software)
>
> In Safe mode Game port did not show, the other two did
> plus there was several (over 10) other items such as
> streaming devices et which do not show in normal mode.
>
> any idea why that should be, before I go removing them ?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK,
1. I have rebooted to Safe Mode and removed every single driver referring
to sound & gameport

2. Rebooted aagain to normal - unfortunately sound still does not work -
maybe sound chip blown.
Sound drive and game port drivers were reinstalled ok at 2. and show up ok
in device list again.
When trying sound with WINAMP I still get :
winamp has caused kernel32.dll error
When trying another sound program CDWAV I get :
MMSYSTEM002 A device ID has been used that is out of range for your
system

The other driver for Total Recorder software previously listed, did not come
back in the device list- maybe I need to do something with Total Recorder to
get that back. (Won't work right now anyway, soundwise)

If I was to put in a new sound card now, to replace 'busted' soundchip, do I
need to do anything other than just instal it ? How will pc know to look
for soundcard and not sound chip (as it does now)

Thanks for all your great help.

The procedure demands that you break a problem down into
parts, then verify those separate parts. For example, you are
trying to debug Windows, drivers, and sound hardware
simultaneously. That is wrong. Any responsible computer
vendor provides you comprehensive hardware diagnostics for
their entire system - for free. Available on their web site
and sometimes also on the hard drive. However if your
computer supplier was not responsible, then obtain same
diagnostic from the component manufacturer.

Diagnostics don't even require Windows to execute. That is
exactly what you want. Diagnostic executes sound card only
and without even special drivers. Once you have established
hardware integrity, only then are you ready to move on to
other suspects. Currently I see nothing that says you even
know that the sound card or speakers are working properly. If
not, then you are most likely spinning wheels in mud.

If hardware does not verify, then again break the problem
down into component parts. Separate soundcard and speakers
for verification. One never fixes something by loading up
everything. Otherwise, other things end up getting broken -
exponentially increasing the complexity of a problem. Clearly
with all that Windows reloading, you have only complicated the
problem by also changing what was once known good.

Verify the integrity of soundcard hardware before even

Frank wrote:
> OK,
> 1. I have rebooted to Safe Mode and removed every single driver referring
> to sound & gameport
>
> 2. Rebooted aagain to normal - unfortunately sound still does not work -
> maybe sound chip blown.
> Sound drive and game port drivers were reinstalled ok at 2. and show up ok
> in device list again.
> When trying sound with WINAMP I still get :
> winamp has caused kernel32.dll error
> When trying another sound program CDWAV I get :
> MMSYSTEM002 A device ID has been used that is out of range for your
> system
>
> The other driver for Total Recorder software previously listed, did not come
> back in the device list- maybe I need to do something with Total Recorder to
> get that back. (Won't work right now anyway, soundwise)
>
> If I was to put in a new sound card now, to replace 'busted' soundchip, do I
> need to do anything other than just instal it ? How will pc know to look
> for soundcard and not sound chip (as it does now)
>
> Thanks for all your great help.

Frank, I can't help you regarding Total Recorder as I don't have/use it,
except to suggest that you Uninstall & "Remove" (It's not part of WinMe of
course!) for the duration, whilst you concentrate on troubleshooting your
'on-board' sound chip. It may or may not be conflicting with the soundchip
resources.

> If I was to put in a new sound card now, to replace 'busted'
> soundchip, do I need to do anything other than just instal it ?
> How will pc know to look for soundcard and not sound chip
> (as it does now)

Before you finally decide to take that route, be sure to eliminate Total
Recorder and/or any other issues first. It *may* just be caused by a
resource and/or driver conflict.

However, if you are left with no alternative but to 'upgrade' to a sound
card, you will need to "Remove" the current drivers and disable the on-board
sound chip in your BIOS - see your PC User Manual. Once this is done
successfully, then you will be able to install your soundcard - according to
the manufactures instructions.

Just a little troubled by your earlier reference to "My ME system took a
strange hit." - Power surge? Lightning? Can't help wondering what caused
these hardware/drivers to become dysfunctional all at the same time. - Any
further damage?

> OK,
> 1. I have rebooted to Safe Mode and removed every single driver referring
> to sound & gameport
>
> 2. Rebooted aagain to normal - unfortunately sound still does not work -
> maybe sound chip blown.
> Sound drive and game port drivers were reinstalled ok at 2. and show up ok
> in device list again.
> When trying sound with WINAMP I still get :
> winamp has caused kernel32.dll error
> When trying another sound program CDWAV I get :
> MMSYSTEM002 A device ID has been used that is out of range for your
> system
>
> The other driver for Total Recorder software previously listed, did not
> come
> back in the device list- maybe I need to do something with Total Recorder
> get that back. (Won't work right now anyway, soundwise)
>
> If I was to put in a new sound card now, to replace 'busted' soundchip, do
> need to do anything other than just instal it ? How will pc know to look
> for soundcard and not sound chip (as it does now)
>
> Thanks for all your great help.

TRENDING THREADS