Wireless Networking / Sharing / Web Access Trouble

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 14, 2005 3:07:02 PM

I have a very confusing problem with a wireless network. Here's a snapshot
of my wireless network :

1. it's Ad-Hoc - between a main PC (connected by broadband to internet) & a
laptop
2. both are running XP Pro SP2
3. signal strength shown as EXCELLENT on both computers
4. sharing is enabled on both computers
5. I can ping both ways - very fast times
6. main PC is set to 192.168.0.1 and laptop to 192.16.0.2 - subnet mask 255
etc
7. they're both on the same workgroup
8. main PC CAN read and access the laptop files but laptop CANNOT read or
access main pc or connect to internet / Messenger. I get an error about
permissions!
9. both have firewalls and it makes no difference when both firewalls are
temporarily disabled.

Until a recent hard disk drive failure on the main PC, the setup worked fine
whereby both could be connected to internet, see each other's files and share
resources (eg printer) - all over a wireless network.

I don't know what's going on anymore. PLEASE can someone help me as I'm now
losing the will to live!!!

Thanks

Jan
July 15, 2005 5:22:19 PM

Well, I will bring some things up just for fun ;) ).

Use Help andSupport and search for Ad Hoc. There is some info there.

Since you can ping but not access, it seems an permission of some type is
missing. Are you a user on both computers, and are they in the same
workgroup? Is your SSID the same? Using the same channel, although it says
the originating computer controls the channel. Any wireless security being
used, and if so make sure the settings are the same. You might even try
turning it off to test.

It says, although it may be outdated, that ad hoc is only supported using
802.11b.

Are you using the Windows configuration utility or the adapter one?

You might try re-enabling sharing. If you had to get a new hard drive, the
old connections might not work. And of course, you do have file and printer
sharing enabled?

Clark