Robert

I have some questions concerning NCQ in SATA drives.
I may be wrong, but i think that not every controller support NCQ.

How can I check if my motherboar supprt NCQ ? (Asus P4P800)

What will happen if my controller doesn't support NCQ and i buy a hard drive
with NCQ ?

Robert

"Robert" <rob@nic.pl> wrote in message
>I have some questions concerning NCQ in SATA drives.
> I may be wrong, but i think that not every controller support NCQ.
>
> How can I check if my motherboar supprt NCQ ? (Asus P4P800)
>
> What will happen if my controller doesn't support NCQ and i buy a hard
> drive
> with NCQ ?
>

> Robert

The latest 925XE supports NCQ + nForce4 Ultra. Your hard drive must also
support NCQ, it must be native SATA + NCQ.

Drive to look for are Seagate and the new Maxline III from Maxtor.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-358&depa=1

Richard Dower wrote:

> "Robert" <rob@nic.pl> wrote in message
> >I have some questions concerning NCQ in SATA drives.
> > I may be wrong, but i think that not every controller support NCQ.
> >
> > How can I check if my motherboar supprt NCQ ? (Asus P4P800)
> >
> > What will happen if my controller doesn't support NCQ and i buy a hard
> > drive
> > with NCQ ?
> >

> > Robert
> >

> The latest 925XE supports NCQ + nForce4 Ultra. Your hard drive must also
> support NCQ, it must be native SATA + NCQ.
>
> Drive to look for are Seagate and the new Maxline III from Maxtor.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-358&depa=1

Everyone seems to be bashing on about NCQ these days.

Is it really that good?

I mean, from Seagate's website they state that SATA is so much quicker
than PATA.

I'd like to know how they arrive at that.

As far as I'm concerned, in a real-life scenario, SATA is no quicker
than PATA. I still prefer PATA - more robust.

Does anyone have respectable benchmarks on this? It all sounds like
another round of marketing hype.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

Odie Ferrous wrote:

> Does anyone have respectable benchmarks on this? It all sounds like
> another round of marketing hype.

Never mind - having done a little research, NCQ appears to be a load of
marketing codswallop.

Hardly worth any additional expense whatsoever.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

Odie Ferrous wrote:

> Odie Ferrous wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have respectable benchmarks on this? It all sounds like
>>another round of marketing hype.
>>

> Never mind - having done a little research, NCQ appears to be a load of
> marketing codswallop.

Then you didn't understand it.

> Hardly worth any additional expense whatsoever.
>

> Odie

Robert

> Never mind - having done a little research, NCQ appears to be a load of
> marketing codswallop.
>
> Hardly worth any additional expense whatsoever.

When you look at the prices of hard drives with and without NCQ the
difference is low.
The performance is however 10% greater - so IMHO it is worth paying
attention.

Robert

David Maynard wrote:

> Then you didn't understand it.

I didn't claim to be a guru - but then I suspect you are one of the
"gotta have SATA - wow - 150MB/sec transfer rate" twits.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

Odie Ferrous wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>

>>Then you didn't understand it.
>

> I didn't claim to be a guru - but then I suspect you are one of the
> "gotta have SATA - wow - 150MB/sec transfer rate" twits.

Then you 'suspect' wrongly. I'm one of those "know what the heck it is
before run around screaming 'marketing hype'" twits.

NCQ has nothing to do with the interface data rate.

One of the limiting factors to hard drive performance is mechanical
positioning of the head. NCQ minimizes that by, first, allowing multiple
commands to be queued and then reordering them so seek times are reduced.

Simplified example.

Say the computer wants to read a sector on 1. an outer track, 2. on an
inner track, and 3. on a middle track. Currently, with 'one at a time'
requests the hard drive first seeks to the outer track, then to the inner,
and then back to the middle.

With NCQ the three commands are queued and reordered so the drive reads the
sector on the outer track and picks up the middle track sector on it's way
to the inner track for the originally second, but now third, read. Seek
time is cut by a third since the middle track was picked up 'on the way'
and the drive didn't have to go back half way across the disk to get it.

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whitepaper/D2c_tech_paper_intc-stx_sata_ncq.pdf

"Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> David Maynard wrote:
> >

> > Then you didn't understand it.
>
> I didn't claim to be a guru - but then I suspect you are one of the
> "gotta have SATA - wow - 150MB/sec transfer rate" twits.
>

> Odie
> --
>
> RetroData
> Data Recovery Experts
> www.retrodata.co.uk
NCQ is nothing to do with transfer rate, it is to make more effective
use of the drive by optimising the order of multiple disk access operations.
It is more effective if multitasking, especially on servers.
Mike.

David Maynard wrote:

> Odie Ferrous wrote:
>

> NCQ has nothing to do with the interface data rate.

You missed my point entirely.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

Odie Ferrous wrote:
> David Maynard wrote:
>
>>Odie Ferrous wrote:
>>

>>NCQ has nothing to do with the interface data rate.
>>

> You missed my point entirely.

No, I understood your 'twit' point completely, and answered it directly, even as
nonsensical as it was. Just as your snipping my message to hell, as if that
'erases' the facts about NCQ, is nonsensical.