Where can I find advice on how to upgrade my computer?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

What I am looking for is a way to my computer specs to someone or a website
and have them tell me which components are compatible with my system that I
am wishing to upgrade. For example, I want to upgrade my motherboard and
videocard and cpu, but I am not sure which ones work with what and whether
or not they are even compatible with my current computer. Any ideas? I
have been fighting with this for days now. Thanks for your time.

"David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What I am looking for is a way to my computer specs to someone or a
>website and have them tell me which components are compatible with
>my system that I am wishing to upgrade. For example, I want to
>upgrade my motherboard and videocard and cpu, but I am not sure
>which ones work with what and whether or not they are even
>compatible with my current computer. Any ideas? I have been
>fighting with this for days now. Thanks for your time.

That might be a major task if this is your first time upgrading
anything. I suppose upgrading the mainboard is a major leap from
upgrading a video card or increasing memory.

You could try reading this group for a while, picking whichever
subjects you wish to read about. You could even add a question to the
useful thread.

I think you might get some pointers if you list your complete system
specifications. That includes manufacturer and model information for
everything including your power supply.

I think you can do/learn that here, if you don't expect instant
gratification. I wouldn't try to do everything all at once. The
general rule about computer stuff, in my opinion, is to always gather
information before you act. Without information, you go off on a
detour, and then off on a detour to that detour, and so on until you
are completely lost.

My understanding, generally speaking. The two system types are Intel
and AMD. Then there is old and new. Your current power supply must be
compatible with your choice of mainboard, and it must be powerful
enough for the devices. Your current memory must be compatible with
your new mainboard. The new mainboard CPU socket information must
match your new CPU.

Good luck.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:21:41 -0500, "David Mills"
<davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What I am looking for is a way to my computer specs to someone or a website
>and have them tell me which components are compatible with my system that I
>am wishing to upgrade. For example, I want to upgrade my motherboard and
>videocard and cpu, but I am not sure which ones work with what and whether
>or not they are even compatible with my current computer. Any ideas? I
>have been fighting with this for days now. Thanks for your time.

Generally a website could provide an overview but not really
what you're after. Instead you need an interactive feedback
based upon:

1) Where you feel the system is lacking, what it's not
doing fast enough now and/or what capabilities it lacks that
you want to add. For many people they have all the same
typical needs but a more limited number of more demanding
uses... usually best to focus on those... and prioritize
them, their important relative to #2.

2) Budget - immediate budget, timeframe for making
purchase, & potential that later upgrades might be made
(many PCs are a work-in-progress, if the budget is
constraining or desired technologies aren't available yet).
Basically an idea of whether you're looking at lowest cost
possible (but perhaps sacrificing system lifespan,
reliability) a good value, a midgrade with more performance
and features or something more costly and modern enough to
suppport all popular technologies coming along in the next
couple years... or at least be upgradable towards that end.

3) A concise but complete list of current system specs
like:
OEM Make/Model and a link to it online
System case (link to it if not shown at OEM link),
or thorough description or picture of the rear).
Motherboard
CPU
Memory- type, amount, number of modules
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Video card
Sound/Modem/etc

Generally speaking if the current system is over 6 years old
you'll want to start from scratch. If less than that you
might need case modifications and/or power supply upgrade to
deal with the higher heat and energy issues of a more modern
system. IF it's an OEM system then a carefull look at power
supply and case are needed to determine if they're standard
or (how) proprietary.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Go to websites such as www.intel.com www.amd.com www.ati.com
www.antec-inc.com and read a lot and follow links. Don't
forget www.nvidia.com I spent about 6 months picking out
the components I wanted for my computer.
What ever you pick will be obsolete in 6 months to a year,
so don't worry too much. Also, you'll find good info on
sites from the magazine, such as www.pcworld.com and
www.pcmagazine.com and www.tomshardware.com Also suppliers
such as www.newegg.com have useful info (New Egg is a good
source for parts too).

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
| deal with the higher heat and energy issues of a more
modern
| system. IF it's an OEM system then a carefull look at
power
| supply and case are needed to determine if they're
standard
| or (how) proprietary.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> What I am looking for is a way to my computer specs to someone or a website
> and have them tell me which components are compatible with my system that I
> am wishing to upgrade. For example, I want to upgrade my motherboard and
> videocard and cpu, but I am not sure which ones work with what and whether
> or not they are even compatible with my current computer. Any ideas? I
> have been fighting with this for days now. Thanks for your time.

If you want to upgrade your motherboard, processor and video card,
and don't have any experience building computers, you might want
to think about buying a barebones system from some outfit such as
Tiger Direct. That way, your old system will still be in working
condition, and you can sell it, or use it as a second computer.

The upgrades you mention will result in a completely new computer
anyway, since you will probably have to get new RAM to match your
CPU and motherboard. Only the case, a few cards and drives will be
left unchanged. Cases are cheap -- you can get a new case and
power supply for around $35 or so, to put your new motherboard,
new CUP, new video card, and new RAM into. The cards and drives
can go into either box, as you see fit.

If you just upgrade your old case, you are going to have a pile of
old parts left on your table.

"David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What I am looking for is a way to my computer specs to someone or a
> website
> and have them tell me which components are compatible with my system that
> am wishing to upgrade. For example, I want to upgrade my motherboard and
> videocard and cpu, but I am not sure which ones work with what and whether
> or not they are even compatible with my current computer. Any ideas? I
> have been fighting with this for days now. Thanks for your time.

That's easy. Motherboard, CPU and Video card are most of the cost of a
whole new computer. You might as well add ~$150 for a case, power supply
and RAM. Then you won't have to worry about any of the new components being
compatible with the old components. All the components that might have
compatibility problems are brand new! For just one example, the following
rig will handle office applications, Internet and all the latest games just
fine: (just add your current drives)

From Newegg:

Qty Product Item # Unit Price Qty x Price

RAIDMAX Silver Case 10-bay Case without Power Supply, Model
"ATX-268WSP" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Case Type: Gaming Tower
Color: Silver
Material: 0.7mm SECC Steel
Drive Bays: 5.25'' x4, 3.5''(External) x2,3.5''(Internal) x4
Expansion Slots: 7
Front Ports: USB2.0 x2
Power Supply: N/A
Cooling System: 80mm Side Panel fan x2
Motherboard Compatibility: ATX Form Factor 12" x 10.5" or
smaller
Dimensions: 16.2''Hx8''Wx17.8''D more info-> N82E16811156019
$27.50 $27.50

EPoX "EP-4PDA3I" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket
478 CPU -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4(HT)/Celeron Processors(Prescott
Ready)
Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 4x DIMM for Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X(1.5V), 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS/2,2xCOM,1xLPT,1xLAN,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),SPDIF Out,Audio
Ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel Codec
Onboard LAN: Realtek 8100B 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
Onboard SATA: 2x Serial ATA
Form Factor: ATX more info-> N82E16813123217 $76.50 $76.50

High Tech ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "EXCALIBUR R9800PRO ICEQ " -RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800PRO/380MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out) +
DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
Cable/Accessories: 2 Adapters, 3 Cables, 6 CD, Manual
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz
Retail Box (See pics for details) No Half-Life 2 coupon more
info-> N82E16814161109 $235.50 $235.50

Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W ATX power supply.UL, CSA,
TUV, CE Approved. Intel Pentium 4 Compliant
Specifications:
Type: ATX
Maximum Power: 420W
PFC: No
Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
Hold-up Time: >16ms at Full Load
Efficiency: >65%
Over Voltage Protection: +5V trip point<+6.8V;+3.3V trip
point<+4.5V;+12V trip point<+15.6V
Overload Protection: Not specified
Input Voltage: 115 VAC / 230VAC
Input Frequency Range: 47-63 Hz
Input Current: 10.0A (Measuring 90-132Vrms);5.0A (Measuring
180-264Vrms)
Output: +3.3V@30A;+5V@40A;-5V@0.3A;+12V@18A;-12V@0.8A;+5VSB@2A
more info-> N82E16817153006 $41.49 $41.49

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper
Threading Technology - Retail
Specification
Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading Technology
Core: Prescott
Operating Frequency: 3.2GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.25V-1.525V
Process: 0.09Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail(with Heatsink and Fan) more info->
N82E16819116172 $219.50 $219.50

Geil Ultra Series Value Dual Channel 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2)
DDR PC-3200 w/ Blue Heatspreader - Retail
Specifications:
Manufacturer: Geil
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5 7-4-4
Support Voltage: 2.55V-2.95V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Special Features: Optimized SPD for Dual Channel DDR
motherboards
Warranty: Lifetime more info-> N82E16820144309 $88.77 $88.77

Subtotal » $689.26

begin 666 dot3.gif
M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)'_`/___P```,# P ```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```("
$5 $`.P``
`
end

begin 666 btn_wish_add.gif
M1TE&.#EA2P`.`-4``**BHHN+B]#0T,W-S:NKJ\3#PFMK:U145 T-#965E-[>
MWKN[NEM;6_W^_D)"0N'AX"LK*_GY^>KJZNWM[1H:&CL[.V1D9.;FYB$A(4M+
M2WM[>]34U'%Q<30T-/7U]-G9V82#@Q04%/;V]_/R\K*RLJ>GIXB(AYB8F-32
MT,K*R>CHZ=/3TY"0D,7%Q=_?WWAX>._O[\;(RF!@8-S<W']]?>3DY,"_O_O[
M^];7U["OK_;V]%!04%=75P8&!O___P```"'Y! ``````+ ````!+``X```;_
MP%]O2"P:>[^D<LEL.I_0J++GJUJO6!]"RNUZG=0=SW3+8K=?[A"<GOI #$C+
MYQ&)ZG=10ZL,5;8A#@X02!05@TA)& X5%1T(% 8&%$P5&@PA/Q@=2($.CPB-
MAQA"52H.&2H%`P,M`@(L)R-\0B\^!C\,51(R/P%E(CM(/0%6*PP$#0TDE$D.
M'A<B'#T+$A"Y5@89'U8!0U4-`"$E-@4V"P,D$ 8PM @Y/B4_%B(R!#48&@H'
M)!YH$#M<E*! PP</'K>4I!" H<*.$!%&6)@W(D,)`14P$%"0X1J5*@]V[$"1
MHL6"#R8@X*B")L2%`0+F26@HP<&+#10Z^.B@A((`_Q.^5H0(\8%%(8E*(/BP
M`6#>! <$%E!B,2!3J2HW$E#(\< %BAH94K%,`F$"! \8&)C%$/(%#@P8;C#H
MN0(H@ )#4@#8`B%"AB0]#!1@@ .;!Q<\DK 08/5CE14=(+S@P($'`A)6T!AH
M0"#8@9D.GMXTM),NT `X$6PP^H/""%Q""$@8\( "#P^T'2AF#/C*C10F:- `
M8:)$N[$]3GQ8\ !$A@@&3E+0X$)&@15H6J\(\$-&`QFZ)B91, ."`PL;S#UP
MP&/&@0%[?RQN?&4$`0(P=,Q(T&(/\@F3D& #0C[4<( O9=10P1(42'#"#R$0
M4 4!S?SP# PW:(!6!RZPD%>!61SX,!<`%]!GA0(==/" #PL@(,-QM$"P!048
M( `!!!AT<B,I2_2 03,4,( )$QUH8Z,0/]K8@XV9T)B(8SZ,4$(R!280@W^T
0M*%E(EL>X>4:6H8I9A `.P``
`
end

begin 666 btn_wish_remv.gif
M1TE&.#EA2P`.`-4``-[>WFMK:^3DY(.#@_S\_&)B8N'AX;:VMG5U=;&QL?KZ
M^L7%Q?CX^/+R\EU=7='1T0P,#*BHJ!@8&'!P<9F9F>CHZ%E96?3T]!(2$KJZ
MNO;V]DY.3LK*RGM[>]C8V#X^/J6EI3DY.:&AH28F)M75U3(R,NSL["DI*2TM
M+9R<G-O;VT9&1L_/S_#P\+^_OU%142$A(=;6UE965I65E38V-L+"PJRLK,S,
MS ,#`TE)24%!0?[^_N_O[P8&!O___P```"'Y! ``````+ ````!+``X```;_
MP%]O2.SABL6?<LEL.I_0J'39\UFOGD/ERH5,O^#PL^ICD$ 8V E7X#PN5Z]8
M;)Q#R:0?;.(S^1 2/QEQ4A H.CHC.! T'Q\G/R4E0B<E7B,3$S _*) _-!(P
M'SHT<E%D*CDL$XHK'2PY((11(216`",E#3X*"3TF*C\C'@`E$AP,/@LX"QY#
M/C(I/CLQ'U-D/C4_#@X%%@X0$RH*5J9/)0(=,@P!)0H!(R<0)!<.'SXL(QT5
M.2\$+P$T0/APH4<*`1A&8+AV)4(('P0([/"Q`@&Y<E+032!H`04#$0A00&!1
M@4,''S="V$BPT,.,$ 16##CP(T6#``YZ,.0UH(0/_Q</'C#8\,(/QB@E'NQR
M(>%$`P$>"O2H02%;`A(K,J30^4 $C@H=#B# 455%A(52R!"8@<+'@1L++FRP
MP&,6E!(`1+BP@>$$@0(2($!P@8"%BP(&5++\X2'%CP@V&I0P:. 'VK16"%"X
M)Z#"EKDM[)ZKX `#`!DH%'3X4*J&`S4.*L! 8.*%`V@_`C1H\ -"B@HG0@3"
M7*:G#PT7=FW88-2'.2<A>!3X,0& @UT^?$554H!'"0P+)F8(!(,`30BR?*BP
M1MQ'AA\K2H0HL0("`@VBG?10V'L$A!,HH+ )#'(DI!,,!3@P' XG!(*#! 'Z
=M],T$548T43YV1$%#CAH. H&$B FX>&(&@8!`#L`
`
end

David Mills wrote:

> What I am looking for is a way to my computer specs to someone or a
> website and have them tell me which components are compatible with my
> system that I
> am wishing to upgrade. For example, I want to upgrade my motherboard and
> videocard and cpu, but I am not sure which ones work with what and whether
> or not they are even compatible with my current computer. Any ideas? I
> have been fighting with this for days now. Thanks for your time.

That should be easy enough. If you're running WinXP, go to Start->All
Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information. You'll have to do
a little detective work, since the information is a little incomplete.

Alternatively, you could install SiSoft Sandra, though the current version
is getting some bad reviews. I run Sandra 2004 and love it. It tells you
everything about your system and lets you benchmark much of it for free.
For a fee, you can unlock everything and benchmark everything about your
system. You can find Sandra Lite 2005 at www.download.com.

Now, you're interested in upgrading the very core of your computer.
Basically, You'll be building a new system, scavenging some parts from the
old. Well, that makes everything easy.

The power supplies is gonna have to be changed, most likely. You need at the
very minimum, 350 watts of a good quality power supplies from Antec,
CoolerMaster, or a brand of equal quality/reputation. Some cheap 500 watt
supplies don't put out the power of a quality Antec 350 watt power supply.
This is also an area to never, ever skimp on as it is the number one
culprit for build problems. The best way to upgrade your power supplies is
to upgrade your case too, if you go with Antec. Other cases also sometimes
contain power supplies, but beware of ones that you don't know who supplied
them. Get one that has a quality power supplies.

If you're upgrading your motherboard, you'll also have to upgrade your
memory. If you like playing games, or just getting the most out of your new
system, you'll want a board that uses dual channel DDR. You'll know if they
are if the slots use 2 different colors to identify the channels.

Also, if your system is really old, consider upgrading everything else,
though you could build your system initially and upgrade those parts as you
go, later. DVD burners are now well below $100, CD burners and DVD ROM's
are as little as $30, and a nice big, fast hard drive will set you back
$100 (or less if you get one with a nice fat rebate from Best Buy). Small
potatoes after you just spend a couple hundred on everything else.

Some sites that may be of interest to you for shopping for parts are:

www.newegg.com
www.zipzoomfly.com

You might also be interested in checking out some reviews at some web
sources:

www.tomshardware.com
www.hexus.net
www.pchardware.ro
www.anandtech.com
www.sharkyextreme.com
www.lostcircuits.com
www.hardocp.com
www.hardcoreware.net
www.xbitlabs.com

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What I am looking for is a way to my computer specs to someone or a
>> website
>> and have them tell me which components are compatible with my system that
>> am wishing to upgrade. For example, I want to upgrade my motherboard and
>> videocard and cpu, but I am not sure which ones work with what and
>> whether
>> or not they are even compatible with my current computer. Any ideas? I
>> have been fighting with this for days now. Thanks for your time.
>>

> That's easy. Motherboard, CPU and Video card are most of the cost of a
> whole new computer. You might as well add ~$150 for a case, power supply
> and RAM. Then you won't have to worry about any of the new components
> being compatible with the old components. All the components that might
> have compatibility problems are brand new! For just one example, the
> following rig will handle office applications, Internet and all the latest
> games just fine: (just add your current drives)
>
> From Newegg:
>
> Qty Product Item # Unit Price Qty x Price
>
> RAIDMAX Silver Case 10-bay Case without Power Supply, Model
> "ATX-268WSP" -RETAIL
> Specifications:
> Case Type: Gaming Tower
> Color: Silver
> Material: 0.7mm SECC Steel
> Drive Bays: 5.25'' x4, 3.5''(External) x2,3.5''(Internal) x4
> Expansion Slots: 7
> Front Ports: USB2.0 x2
> Power Supply: N/A
> Cooling System: 80mm Side Panel fan x2
> Motherboard Compatibility: ATX Form Factor 12" x 10.5" or
> smaller
> Dimensions: 16.2''Hx8''Wx17.8''D more info-> N82E16811156019
> $27.50 $27.50

Damn bro, thanks for the details on this, I never thought of doing it that
way.

> Damn bro, thanks for the details on this, I never thought of doing it that
> way.

No problem. -Dave

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:21:41 -0500, "David Mills"
<davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What I am looking for is a way to my computer specs to someone or a website
>and have them tell me which components are compatible with my system that I
>am wishing to upgrade. For example, I want to upgrade my motherboard and
>videocard and cpu, but I am not sure which ones work with what and whether
>or not they are even compatible with my current computer. Any ideas? I
>have been fighting with this for days now.

Already fighting this for about 12 years....
If i find out something,3 new things have appeared.

Go,buy a ready to go System from a Vendor.It will save you many time.

Sayso Takewashi wrote:

> Go,buy a ready to go System from a Vendor.It will save you many time.

Obviously, if someone has come here to ask a question, they've already
decided to build their system, which is always the best choice, IMO.