Hitachi Hard drive

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2004 5:51:21 PM

Hi.
I'm buying a new comp. The old one has Western Digital which worked
just fine. Anyway, what is there to know about hitachi drives? Speed,
quality... I know hitachi CD-Roms are pure disaster, but I don't know
much about their hard drives.
(it's hard to find comparison on hard drives)

More about : hitachi hard drive

December 6, 2004 3:28:20 AM

Beware. I bought a pair of 80 gigs last year because of their quietness
rating. In use, they are quiet, except for the once every 10 minutes
"recalibration" where they make a loud, extremely annoying, "errrrrrrrttttt"
noise. Discussions with their tech support claim this is "normal". I won't
be buying any more of them.

Tuner

"xscript" <xscript@net.hr> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I'm buying a new comp. The old one has Western Digital which worked
> just fine. Anyway, what is there to know about hitachi drives? Speed,
> quality... I know hitachi CD-Roms are pure disaster, but I don't know
> much about their hard drives.
> (it's hard to find comparison on hard drives)

---
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2004 9:15:59 AM

xscript@net.hr (xscript) wrote:

>I'm buying a new comp. The old one has Western Digital which worked
>just fine. Anyway, what is there to know about hitachi drives? Speed,
>quality... I know hitachi CD-Roms are pure disaster, but I don't know
>much about their hard drives.
>(it's hard to find comparison on hard drives)

Hitachi bought IBM's personal computer hard drive stuff (manufacturing
division I guess). Just before the takeover, I bought an IBM Deskstar
120GXP 60GB hard drive. I got a really great price and posted about it,
for which I was lashed and lectured on how horrible they are. That was
June 7, 2002. It has been running like a top, very quietly almost 24
hours a day since then. Good luck.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2004 6:41:28 PM

"xscript" <xscript@net.hr> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I'm buying a new comp. The old one has Western Digital which worked
> just fine. Anyway, what is there to know about hitachi drives? Speed,
> quality... I know hitachi CD-Roms are pure disaster, but I don't know
> much about their hard drives.
> (it's hard to find comparison on hard drives)
For fewer $ you can get a Maxtor with better specs.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 11, 2004 8:05:03 PM

"xscript" <xscript@net.hr> wrote in message
> just fine. Anyway, what is there to know about hitachi drives? Speed,
> quality... I know hitachi CD-Roms are pure disaster, but I don't know
> much about their hard drives.

If you know their CD-Roms are pure disaster, you know all you need
to know to make a decision about using their hard drives.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2004 9:49:53 PM

G I concur...
Hitachi makes chips -- their mem is nt bad but their hard drives ( or was
that fujitsu ? ) ..
anyway ... yeah . stick with the known .. like WD and Maxtor

"nospam" <nospam@notime.org> wrote in message

> "xscript" <xscript@net.hr> wrote in message
>> just fine. Anyway, what is there to know about hitachi drives? Speed,
>> quality... I know hitachi CD-Roms are pure disaster, but I don't know
>> much about their hard drives.
>
> If you know their CD-Roms are pure disaster, you know all you need
> to know to make a decision about using their hard drives.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 15, 2004 11:38:46 AM

ERIC SHAIK wrote:

> G I concur...
> Hitachi makes chips -- their mem is nt bad but their hard drives ( or was
> that fujitsu ? ) ..
> anyway ... yeah . stick with the known .. like WD and Maxtor

You quoted the 2nd worst (Maxtor) and omitted the best - Seagate.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts