$winmgmt

I am having trouble with my startup registry. Whe
searching winmgmt I have found an icon called $winmgmt,
and when I open it with notepad it is blank. I am trying
to cleanup my registry and I am wondering if anyone can
tell me if this is valid or some kind of bug. hope you can
help thanks warsh79

warsh79 wrote:
> I am having trouble with my startup registry. Whe
> searching winmgmt I have found an icon called $winmgmt,
> and when I open it with notepad it is blank. I am trying
> to cleanup my registry and I am wondering if anyone can
> tell me if this is valid or some kind of bug. hope you can
> help thanks warsh79

Don't clean your registry manually, use

scanreg /fix from a DOS boot, or scanregw/fix from a DOS window.

There are also programs that clean up your registry for you with varying
degrees of success.

ummm, what do you "startup registry" ?

Rick

Does your registry report the path to the $winmgmt file?
Does the file exist at that location?
If so, what does its property sheet report about its author?

There is a legitimate Windows file, winmgmt.exe, at Windows\System\WBEM, and
a $winmgmt.cfg, at ...\WBEM\Respository.

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------