How to add printer to home wireless network?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 14, 2005 6:37:48 PM

I have a home wireless network with a desktop PC wired
to a Linksys router. The wireless network is set up as
an "infrastructure" type, not "ad hoc".

I have a printer connected to the desktop PC. I would
like to be able to send documents to the printer from
my wireless laptop as well as from the desktop PC.

Ideally, I do not want to have to rely on my desktop PC
as a print server. I want to be able to print from my
wireless laptop when the desktop PC is turned off.

Also ideally, I would like to be able to print from the
desktop PC using the wired network connection. I do not
want to have to buy a wireless NIC for the desktop PC.

First, is the ideal topology feasible? What components
would I need in order to make it work? What is the price
range, in general?

If the ideal topology is prohibitive, is it feasible to
rely on the desktop PC as a print server If so, what
components or software would I need in order to make that
work? If you think my OS already has the necessary
software, what built-in software would I be depending on?

Both the desktop PC and the laptop have MS Win XP Pro.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 15, 2005 2:45:34 AM

Lem wrote:
> joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I have a home wireless network with a desktop PC wired
> > to a Linksys router. The wireless network is set up as
> > an "infrastructure" type, not "ad hoc".
> [....]
> Depending on your printing needs, you might
> check out the HP 6840, currently $180 at CompUSA
> [...]. This is a very nice inkjet printer
> with built-in wireless b/g printer server.

Thanks for the pointer. And forgive me if my next question seems
naive, but .... Can such a printer work in an "infrastructure"
type wireless network, or only in an "ad hoc" type?

By the way, I do use WPA Passphrase on my network.
July 15, 2005 4:12:19 AM

joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have a home wireless network with a desktop PC wired
> to a Linksys router. The wireless network is set up as
> an "infrastructure" type, not "ad hoc".
>
> I have a printer connected to the desktop PC. I would
> like to be able to send documents to the printer from
> my wireless laptop as well as from the desktop PC.
>
> Ideally, I do not want to have to rely on my desktop PC
> as a print server. I want to be able to print from my
> wireless laptop when the desktop PC is turned off.
>
> Also ideally, I would like to be able to print from the
> desktop PC using the wired network connection. I do not
> want to have to buy a wireless NIC for the desktop PC.
>
> First, is the ideal topology feasible? What components
> would I need in order to make it work? What is the price
> range, in general?
>
> If the ideal topology is prohibitive, is it feasible to
> rely on the desktop PC as a print server If so, what
> components or software would I need in order to make that
> work? If you think my OS already has the necessary
> software, what built-in software would I be depending on?
>
> Both the desktop PC and the laptop have MS Win XP Pro.

As DanR says, wireless printer servers are not often on sale and also
are not particularly cheap. Depending on your printing needs, you might
check out the HP 6840, currently $180 at CompUSA
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?produc...
and perhaps a bit cheaper elsewhere. This is a very nice inkjet printer
with built-in wireless b/g printer server. It's rated at 30 ppm b&w and
20 ppm color (that's in the lowest-res draft mode, of course). I have
two of these, one at home and one in the office, and we're very pleased
with them.

I also have a LaserJet 1300 connected via USB to one of the PCs on my
wireless network. I can print to this either from that PC or from a
laptop connected via the wireless router. The only catch is that the PC
has to be "awake" to permit printing. There is no such catch with the
DJ6840 -- as long as it's powered on, you can print to it via a wireless
connection.
Related resources
July 15, 2005 4:35:00 AM

joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have a home wireless network with a desktop PC wired
> to a Linksys router. The wireless network is set up as
> an "infrastructure" type, not "ad hoc".
>
> I have a printer connected to the desktop PC. I would
> like to be able to send documents to the printer from
> my wireless laptop as well as from the desktop PC.
>
> Ideally, I do not want to have to rely on my desktop PC
> as a print server. I want to be able to print from my
> wireless laptop when the desktop PC is turned off.

Get a stand alone print server.

> Also ideally, I would like to be able to print from the
> desktop PC using the wired network connection. I do not
> want to have to buy a wireless NIC for the desktop PC.
>
> First, is the ideal topology feasible? What components
> would I need in order to make it work? What is the price
> range, in general?

I've found that print servers are seldom on sale. Shop around.

> If the ideal topology is prohibitive, is it feasible to
> rely on the desktop PC as a print server If so, what
> components or software would I need in order to make that
> work? If you think my OS already has the necessary
> software, what built-in software would I be depending on?

You should be able to print through the desktop right now. From your desktop
machine goto your printer properties and select "Share this printer". From your
laptop select "add printer". Select "from network". Browse to printer via
network and select it. If you have problems check any firewall settings. If you
are using the XP firewall you should have SP2 and allow file and printer
sharing. If you still have problems... have you set up a "home network"?

> Both the desktop PC and the laptop have MS Win XP Pro.
July 15, 2005 4:41:31 AM

If you are using wireless security, make sure the print server will also.
The one I presently have will not do WPA, but will do WEP.

Clark
July 15, 2005 11:38:33 AM

joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:
> Lem wrote:
>
>>joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>I have a home wireless network with a desktop PC wired
>>>to a Linksys router. The wireless network is set up as
>>>an "infrastructure" type, not "ad hoc".
>>
>>[....]
>>Depending on your printing needs, you might
>>check out the HP 6840, currently $180 at CompUSA
>>[...]. This is a very nice inkjet printer
>>with built-in wireless b/g printer server.
>

> Thanks for the pointer. And forgive me if my next question seems
> naive, but .... Can such a printer work in an "infrastructure"
> type wireless network, or only in an "ad hoc" type?
>
> By the way, I do use WPA Passphrase on my network.

The printer works with both infrastructure and ad hoc modes. In fact,
at home I've got it connected to the router in infrastructure mode, and
at the office -- which is not wifi capable -- I've got the second
printer set up in ad hoc mode to talk directly to the laptop.

As for security, the ad hoc mode is only capable of WEP security. The
infrastructure mode is capable of WPA-PSK with either AES or TKIP
encryption. I'm getting to the edge of my current knowledge, but as I
understand it, WPA-PSK with AES is almost, but not quite, WPA2. I've
currently got a pending question to HP support asking if the DJ 6800
series will support WPA2 (probably not as is) and if HP has plans to
update the driver to do that.
July 15, 2005 4:00:11 PM

Lem wrote:

> joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:

> >>[....]
> >>Depending on your printing needs, you might
> >>check out the HP 6840, currently $180 at CompUSA
> >>[...]. This is a very nice inkjet printer
> >>with built-in wireless b/g printer server.
> >

> > Thanks for the pointer. And forgive me if my next question seems
> > naive, but .... Can such a printer work in an "infrastructure"
> > type wireless network, or only in an "ad hoc" type?
> >
> > By the way, I do use WPA Passphrase on my network.
> >
> The printer works with both infrastructure and ad hoc modes. In fact,
> at home I've got it connected to the router in infrastructure mode, and
> at the office -- which is not wifi capable -- I've got the second
> printer set up in ad hoc mode to talk directly to the laptop.
>
> As for security, the ad hoc mode is only capable of WEP security. The
> infrastructure mode is capable of WPA-PSK with either AES or TKIP
> encryption. I'm getting to the edge of my current knowledge, but as I
> understand it, WPA-PSK with AES is almost, but not quite, WPA2. I've
> currently got a pending question to HP support asking if the DJ 6800
> series will support WPA2 (probably not as is) and if HP has plans to
> update the driver to do that.

Although it might be clear, I forgot to mention that my desktop, like
yours, is connected via Ethernet cable to my Linksys router, and I have a
laptop that connects to the router wirelessly. The desktop can print to
the LaserJet (via USB) and to the DJ6800 (wirelessly). The laptop can
print (wirelessly) to the LaserJet (if the desktop is on) and to the
DJ6800.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 17, 2005 4:51:25 AM

Lem wrote:
> Although it might be clear, I forgot to mention that my desktop,
> like yours, is connected via Ethernet cable to my Linksys router,
> and I have a laptop that connects to the router wirelessly. The
> desktop can print to the LaserJet (via USB) and to the DJ6800
> (wirelessly).

I am afraid this added some confusion when you say that your
desktop prints to the DJ6800 "wirelessly". I suspect (hope)
you misspoke.

Since you said that your desktop connects to the Linksys
router over a wired Ethernet cable, this confusion can be
disposed of very easily by answering the following question.

Do you also have a wireless interface card in your desktop PC?

I presume "no".

I presume that the DJ6800 has an IP address, and you configure
your printer on your desktop PC as a network printer, just as
it is configured on your laptop. Right?

Thanks again for information. It has been very helpful.
July 17, 2005 3:14:35 PM

joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:
> Lem wrote:
>
>>Although it might be clear, I forgot to mention that my desktop,
>>like yours, is connected via Ethernet cable to my Linksys router,
>>and I have a laptop that connects to the router wirelessly. The
>>desktop can print to the LaserJet (via USB) and to the DJ6800
>>(wirelessly).
>

> I am afraid this added some confusion when you say that your
> desktop prints to the DJ6800 "wirelessly". I suspect (hope)
> you misspoke.
>
> Since you said that your desktop connects to the Linksys
> router over a wired Ethernet cable, this confusion can be
> disposed of very easily by answering the following question.
>
> Do you also have a wireless interface card in your desktop PC?
>
> I presume "no".
>
> I presume that the DJ6800 has an IP address, and you configure
> your printer on your desktop PC as a network printer, just as
> it is configured on your laptop. Right?
>
> Thanks again for information. It has been very helpful.

Sorry for the confusion.

No, I don't have a wireless interface in the desktop.

The connection from the desktop pc to the DJ6800 is:

Desktop-->ethernet cable-->router-->wireless-->DJ6800

I don't recall how I set up the printer on the desktop. Looking at
"printer properties" (on the desktop pc) shows that the DJ6800 is not
"shared." On the "Ports" tab of printer properties, "port" is listed as
"Deskjet6800" (rather than, e.g., LPT1 or USB001) with a "description"
of "HP Standard TCP/IP Port."

The printer report page (printed using the buttons on the printer
itself), as well as my router, show that the printer has an assigned IP
address. I use that IP in my browser to access the printer's
configuration utility. I suspect that somewhere in the depths of WinXP
the system also uses that IP address to do the actual printing, but it
all happens automagically. If I recall correctly, it was not necessary
to know the IP address to connect the printer.

I suspect the printer properties on the laptop are the same, but I can't
verify right now.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 17, 2005 11:54:54 PM

Lem wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion.
> No, I don't have a wireless interface in the desktop.
> The connection from the desktop pc to the DJ6800 is:
> Desktop-->ethernet cable-->router-->wireless-->DJ6800

As I expected. Thanks again.
!