Problem with ME loading

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 4, 2005 12:01:02 AM

I'm not sure what caused this problem, but recently I loaded avg70 anti
virus. When I downloaded the most recent upgrade, it told me to re-start the
computer which I did.

Now the computer states something like this:
"Setup updates the configuration files. Please wait this may take a few
minutes."

As I'm waiting, the next line comes up and repeats for over an hour:

"Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1 : %2"

I can't get it to do anything. Safe mode still tries to boot updating the
config files and can't.

I'd like to do the config restore but it looks like I can only do that thru
Windows and I can't get there.

I uploaded a bootable disk from bootdisk.com for windows me and when I do a
hard boot, the screen tells me to remove the disk.

Anyone out there who can help. The original OS was Windows 98 which I
upgraded to ME.

Help!

Thanks

More about : problem loading

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 2:21:10 AM

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=283069
See the above MS site for info on the issue.........
Heirloom, old and hope that helps

"scrotocles" <scrotocles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure what caused this problem, but recently I loaded avg70 anti
> virus. When I downloaded the most recent upgrade, it told me to re-start
the
> computer which I did.
>
> Now the computer states something like this:
> "Setup updates the configuration files. Please wait this may take a few
> minutes."
>
> As I'm waiting, the next line comes up and repeats for over an hour:
>
> "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1 : %2"
>
> I can't get it to do anything. Safe mode still tries to boot updating the
> config files and can't.
>
> I'd like to do the config restore but it looks like I can only do that
thru
> Windows and I can't get there.
>
> I uploaded a bootable disk from bootdisk.com for windows me and when I do
> hard boot, the screen tells me to remove the disk.
>
> Anyone out there who can help. The original OS was Windows 98 which I
> upgraded to ME.
>
> Help!
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 9:06:56 AM

Your %1/%2 error is caused usually by Norton LiveUpdate, corrupting the
System Restore archive - although there are other possible causes.

Do a Search for the file WININIT.INI - if you find it, then rename it to
WININIT.JNK, and reboot - your problem should be gone.

If you don't find it, then try this - Start|Run - enter SCANREG /FIX into
the dialog box, and click OK - windows will reboot - see if that fixes it.

If not, then open Windows Explorer - check in Folder Properties that you are
able to view Hidden and System files (two settings), then Search on your PC
for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
the easiest at present.

Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
A:\> prompt.

ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder

HTH

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi