Scandisc & Defrag won't complete

JoAnne

I have ME. Error message reads - "Scandisc has re-started
10 times because Windows or another program has been
writing to this drive. Quitting some programs may enable
Scandisc to finish earlier."
In addition, Defrag will not get Past 57%. Does anyone
know how to fix this.? In addition, how do I 'Quit a
program?' Please help. Thanks.

In article <477801c520ea$ce4bd700$a401280a@phx.gbl>, Joanne says...

> I have ME. Error message reads - "Scandisc has re-started
> 10 times because Windows or another program has been
> writing to this drive. Quitting some programs may enable
> Scandisc to finish earlier."
> In addition, Defrag will not get Past 57%. Does anyone
> know how to fix this.? In addition, how do I 'Quit a
> program?'

While it can be run from Safe Mode, I have found that running
'msconfig.exe', and stopping the startup group from loading, lets me run
scandisk and defrag without stopping. Just remember to run 'msconfig.exe'
again, when you are finished, and restore the startup group.

For some computers, Safe Mode may be the only reliable way to run these
maintenance applications.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Boot to Safe Mode and run scandisk and defrag from there.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Joanne <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have ME. Error message reads - "Scandisc has re-started
> 10 times because Windows or another program has been
> writing to this drive. Quitting some programs may enable
> Scandisc to finish earlier."
> In addition, Defrag will not get Past 57%. Does anyone
> know how to fix this.? In addition, how do I 'Quit a
> program?' Please help. Thanks.

JoAnne

Thanks for your suggestion, Mike. But how do I boot to a
safe mode. I am a beginner?

JoAnne

Thank you for your suggestions but as I also told Mike, I
don't know how to boot in a safe mode. Also coould you
translate the P.S?

Boot to Safe Mode:
Do this by rebooting and gently tapping Ctrl immediately following the
white text on black POST screen. If that doesn't take you to Safe Mode
(it should) then repeat but instead of tapping Ctrl instead tap F8.

If you are still unable to enter Safe Mode boot Win Me normally and then
using MSConfig (Start, Run and enter MSConfig in the box and click OK),
open the General tab and then click Advanced and you will find there the
option "Enable Startup Menu". Check this, OK out, close MSConfig and
reboot. You should now be presented with a boot menu from which you can
now choose to boot to Safe Mode.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Joanne <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion, Mike. But how do I boot to a
> safe mode. I am a beginner?

JoAnne

Thank you for your help,