Best solution please

A friend has a dial up connection, Desktop w/internal nic and a new laptop
with wireless nic. Both xp home. She wants to use the laptop about the house
and share files, printer, etc. File and printer sharing is more important
than the dial up, but she still wants that also.
I suggested a wireless router (so she is ready for the future-when she
breaks down and gets broadband) Is this the best and easiest solution ?
Thanks in advance,
Frank
5 answers Last reply
More about best solution please

    In article <ew5p33MiFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Frank"
    <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >A friend has a dial up connection, Desktop w/internal nic and a new laptop
    >with wireless nic. Both xp home. She wants to use the laptop about the house
    >and share files, printer, etc. File and printer sharing is more important
    >than the dial up, but she still wants that also.
    >I suggested a wireless router (so she is ready for the future-when she
    >breaks down and gets broadband) Is this the best and easiest solution ?
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Frank

    Good suggestion! A wireless router can do what your friend wants now,
    and it can be easily reconfigured if/when she gets broadband.

    To share files, printers, and the dial-up Internet connection, follow
    these steps on the desktop computer:

    1. Set up a dial-up Internet connection.

    2. Using a regular Ethernet cable, connect one of the wireless
    router's LAN ports to the computer's wired Ethernet port. Don't
    connect anything to the router's WAN (Internet) port.

    3. Configure the wireless router to act as an access point only,
    bypassing its routing capability. Some routers have a setup option
    for that. If this router doesn't, disable its built-in DHCP server
    and assign a static IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254
    to its LAN port.

    4. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the dial-up connection. If
    it asks what to use for the home network, tell it to use the Ethernet
    connection.

    Now, the desktop will share its dial-up connection over the wireless
    router to the laptop.

    To later share a broadband connection:

    1. Undo the router settings in Step 3 so that it acts as a router
    again.

    2. Disable ICS on the desktop.

    3. Connect the broadband modem to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > In article <ew5p33MiFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Frank"
    > <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > >A friend has a dial up connection, Desktop w/internal nic and a new
    laptop
    > >with wireless nic. Both xp home. She wants to use the laptop about the
    house
    > >and share files, printer, etc. File and printer sharing is more important
    > >than the dial up, but she still wants that also.
    > >I suggested a wireless router (so she is ready for the future-when she
    > >breaks down and gets broadband) Is this the best and easiest solution ?
    > >Thanks in advance,
    > >Frank
    >
    > Good suggestion! A wireless router can do what your friend wants now,
    > and it can be easily reconfigured if/when she gets broadband.
    >
    > To share files, printers, and the dial-up Internet connection, follow
    > these steps on the desktop computer:
    >
    > 1. Set up a dial-up Internet connection.
    >
    > 2. Using a regular Ethernet cable, connect one of the wireless
    > router's LAN ports to the computer's wired Ethernet port. Don't
    > connect anything to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
    >
    > 3. Configure the wireless router to act as an access point only,
    > bypassing its routing capability. Some routers have a setup option
    > for that. If this router doesn't, disable its built-in DHCP server
    > and assign a static IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254
    > to its LAN port.
    >
    > 4. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the dial-up connection. If
    > it asks what to use for the home network, tell it to use the Ethernet
    > connection.
    >
    > Now, the desktop will share its dial-up connection over the wireless
    > router to the laptop.
    >
    > To later share a broadband connection:
    >
    > 1. Undo the router settings in Step 3 so that it acts as a router
    > again.
    >
    > 2. Disable ICS on the desktop.
    >
    > 3. Connect the broadband modem to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    In addition, I would make sure she either disables the WiFi
    section of the router (some allow that others don't) or make
    sure some encryption is turned on -- not too bad on dialup,
    but you still may find yourself "sharing" your bandwidth out
    in their car.

    mikey

    Hey Steve,
    Thanks so much for such a complete answer.
    Frank L

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > In article <ew5p33MiFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Frank"
    > <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >>A friend has a dial up connection, Desktop w/internal nic and a new laptop
    >>with wireless nic. Both xp home. She wants to use the laptop about the
    >>house
    >>and share files, printer, etc. File and printer sharing is more important
    >>than the dial up, but she still wants that also.
    >>I suggested a wireless router (so she is ready for the future-when she
    >>breaks down and gets broadband) Is this the best and easiest solution ?
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>Frank
    >
    > Good suggestion! A wireless router can do what your friend wants now,
    > and it can be easily reconfigured if/when she gets broadband.
    >
    > To share files, printers, and the dial-up Internet connection, follow
    > these steps on the desktop computer:
    >
    > 1. Set up a dial-up Internet connection.
    >
    > 2. Using a regular Ethernet cable, connect one of the wireless
    > router's LAN ports to the computer's wired Ethernet port. Don't
    > connect anything to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
    >
    > 3. Configure the wireless router to act as an access point only,
    > bypassing its routing capability. Some routers have a setup option
    > for that. If this router doesn't, disable its built-in DHCP server
    > and assign a static IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254
    > to its LAN port.
    >
    > 4. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the dial-up connection. If
    > it asks what to use for the home network, tell it to use the Ethernet
    > connection.
    >
    > Now, the desktop will share its dial-up connection over the wireless
    > router to the laptop.
    >
    > To later share a broadband connection:
    >
    > 1. Undo the router settings in Step 3 so that it acts as a router
    > again.
    >
    > 2. Disable ICS on the desktop.
    >
    > 3. Connect the broadband modem to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Mike,
    ???disabling the wifi would defeat the whole purpose, how would she connect
    to the desktop? I plan on going thru the security routine
    Frank L

    "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <ew5p33MiFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Frank"
    >> <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >> >A friend has a dial up connection, Desktop w/internal nic and a new
    > laptop
    >> >with wireless nic. Both xp home. She wants to use the laptop about the
    > house
    >> >and share files, printer, etc. File and printer sharing is more
    >> >important
    >> >than the dial up, but she still wants that also.
    >> >I suggested a wireless router (so she is ready for the future-when she
    >> >breaks down and gets broadband) Is this the best and easiest solution ?
    >> >Thanks in advance,
    >> >Frank
    >>
    >> Good suggestion! A wireless router can do what your friend wants now,
    >> and it can be easily reconfigured if/when she gets broadband.
    >>
    >> To share files, printers, and the dial-up Internet connection, follow
    >> these steps on the desktop computer:
    >>
    >> 1. Set up a dial-up Internet connection.
    >>
    >> 2. Using a regular Ethernet cable, connect one of the wireless
    >> router's LAN ports to the computer's wired Ethernet port. Don't
    >> connect anything to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
    >>
    >> 3. Configure the wireless router to act as an access point only,
    >> bypassing its routing capability. Some routers have a setup option
    >> for that. If this router doesn't, disable its built-in DHCP server
    >> and assign a static IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254
    >> to its LAN port.
    >>
    >> 4. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the dial-up connection. If
    >> it asks what to use for the home network, tell it to use the Ethernet
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> Now, the desktop will share its dial-up connection over the wireless
    >> router to the laptop.
    >>
    >> To later share a broadband connection:
    >>
    >> 1. Undo the router settings in Step 3 so that it acts as a router
    >> again.
    >>
    >> 2. Disable ICS on the desktop.
    >>
    >> 3. Connect the broadband modem to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
    >> --
    >> Best Wishes,
    >> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
    >>
    >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
    >> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
    >> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >
    > In addition, I would make sure she either disables the WiFi
    > section of the router (some allow that others don't) or make
    > sure some encryption is turned on -- not too bad on dialup,
    > but you still may find yourself "sharing" your bandwidth out
    > in their car.
    >
    > mikey

    Ooops -- sorry -- misread one line there. I thought the
    plan was to go wired, but get a wireless one for later
    (in which case the wireless would not be used now).
    My bad ! Definitely put protection on though. The
    other thing I do is have my router where I can see it
    easily -- if I see network traffic when I don't expect it
    that is bad (that was how I discovered a while back my
    son had installed Kazza and it's associated junk - grrrr ).

    mikey

    "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    > ???disabling the wifi would defeat the whole purpose, how would she
    connect
    > to the desktop? I plan on going thru the security routine
    > Frank L
    >
    > "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > > laptop
    > > house
    > >>
    > >> Good suggestion! A wireless router can do what your friend wants now,
    > >> and it can be easily reconfigured if/when she gets broadband.
    > >>
    > >> To share files, printers, and the dial-up Internet connection, follow
    > >> these steps on the desktop computer:
    > >>
    > >> 1. Set up a dial-up Internet connection.
    > >>
    > >> 2. Using a regular Ethernet cable, connect one of the wireless
    > >> router's LAN ports to the computer's wired Ethernet port. Don't
    > >> connect anything to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
    > >>
    > >> 3. Configure the wireless router to act as an access point only,
    > >> bypassing its routing capability. Some routers have a setup option
    > >> for that. If this router doesn't, disable its built-in DHCP server
    > >> and assign a static IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254
    > >> to its LAN port.
    > >>
    > >> 4. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the dial-up connection. If
    > >> it asks what to use for the home network, tell it to use the Ethernet
    > >> connection.
    > >>
    > >> Now, the desktop will share its dial-up connection over the wireless
    > >> router to the laptop.
    > >>
    > >> To later share a broadband connection:
    > >>
    > >> 1. Undo the router settings in Step 3 so that it acts as a router
    > >> again.
    > >>
    > >> 2. Disable ICS on the desktop.
    > >>
    > >> 3. Connect the broadband modem to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
    > >> --
    > >> Best Wishes,
    > >> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
    > >> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
    > >> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
    > >>
    > >> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >
    > > In addition, I would make sure she either disables the WiFi
    > > section of the router (some allow that others don't) or make
    > > sure some encryption is turned on -- not too bad on dialup,
    > > but you still may find yourself "sharing" your bandwidth out
    > > in their car.
    > >
    > > mikey

Wireless Dial Up Connection Wireless Networking