Best solution please

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

A friend has a dial up connection, Desktop w/internal nic and a new laptop
with wireless nic. Both xp home. She wants to use the laptop about the house
and share files, printer, etc. File and printer sharing is more important
than the dial up, but she still wants that also.
I suggested a wireless router (so she is ready for the future-when she
breaks down and gets broadband) Is this the best and easiest solution ?
Thanks in advance,
Frank

In article <ew5p33MiFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Frank"
<stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
>A friend has a dial up connection, Desktop w/internal nic and a new laptop
>with wireless nic. Both xp home. She wants to use the laptop about the house
>and share files, printer, etc. File and printer sharing is more important
>than the dial up, but she still wants that also.
>I suggested a wireless router (so she is ready for the future-when she
>breaks down and gets broadband) Is this the best and easiest solution ?
>Thanks in advance,
>Frank

Good suggestion! A wireless router can do what your friend wants now,
and it can be easily reconfigured if/when she gets broadband.

To share files, printers, and the dial-up Internet connection, follow
these steps on the desktop computer:

1. Set up a dial-up Internet connection.

2. Using a regular Ethernet cable, connect one of the wireless
router's LAN ports to the computer's wired Ethernet port. Don't
connect anything to the router's WAN (Internet) port.

3. Configure the wireless router to act as an access point only,
bypassing its routing capability. Some routers have a setup option
for that. If this router doesn't, disable its built-in DHCP server
and assign a static IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254
to its LAN port.

4. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the dial-up connection. If
it asks what to use for the home network, tell it to use the Ethernet
connection.

Now, the desktop will share its dial-up connection over the wireless
router to the laptop.

To later share a broadband connection:

1. Undo the router settings in Step 3 so that it acts as a router
again.

2. Disable ICS on the desktop.

3. Connect the broadband modem to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
> In article <ew5p33MiFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Frank"
> <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >A friend has a dial up connection, Desktop w/internal nic and a new
laptop
> >with wireless nic. Both xp home. She wants to use the laptop about the
house
> >and share files, printer, etc. File and printer sharing is more important
> >than the dial up, but she still wants that also.
> >I suggested a wireless router (so she is ready for the future-when she
> >breaks down and gets broadband) Is this the best and easiest solution ?
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Frank
>
> Good suggestion! A wireless router can do what your friend wants now,
> and it can be easily reconfigured if/when she gets broadband.
>
> To share files, printers, and the dial-up Internet connection, follow
> these steps on the desktop computer:
>
> 1. Set up a dial-up Internet connection.
>
> 2. Using a regular Ethernet cable, connect one of the wireless
> router's LAN ports to the computer's wired Ethernet port. Don't
> connect anything to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
>
> 3. Configure the wireless router to act as an access point only,
> bypassing its routing capability. Some routers have a setup option
> for that. If this router doesn't, disable its built-in DHCP server
> and assign a static IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254
> to its LAN port.
>
> 4. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the dial-up connection. If
> it asks what to use for the home network, tell it to use the Ethernet
> connection.
>
> Now, the desktop will share its dial-up connection over the wireless
> router to the laptop.
>
> To later share a broadband connection:
>
> 1. Undo the router settings in Step 3 so that it acts as a router
> again.
>
> 2. Disable ICS on the desktop.
>
> 3. Connect the broadband modem to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

In addition, I would make sure she either disables the WiFi
section of the router (some allow that others don't) or make
sure some encryption is turned on -- not too bad on dialup,
but you still may find yourself "sharing" your bandwidth out
in their car.

mikey

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hey Steve,
Thanks so much for such a complete answer.
Frank L

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
> In article <ew5p33MiFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Frank"
> <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>A friend has a dial up connection, Desktop w/internal nic and a new laptop
>>with wireless nic. Both xp home. She wants to use the laptop about the
>>house
>>and share files, printer, etc. File and printer sharing is more important
>>than the dial up, but she still wants that also.
>>I suggested a wireless router (so she is ready for the future-when she
>>breaks down and gets broadband) Is this the best and easiest solution ?
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Frank
>
> Good suggestion! A wireless router can do what your friend wants now,
> and it can be easily reconfigured if/when she gets broadband.
>
> To share files, printers, and the dial-up Internet connection, follow
> these steps on the desktop computer:
>
> 1. Set up a dial-up Internet connection.
>
> 2. Using a regular Ethernet cable, connect one of the wireless
> router's LAN ports to the computer's wired Ethernet port. Don't
> connect anything to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
>
> 3. Configure the wireless router to act as an access point only,
> bypassing its routing capability. Some routers have a setup option
> for that. If this router doesn't, disable its built-in DHCP server
> and assign a static IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254
> to its LAN port.
>
> 4. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the dial-up connection. If
> it asks what to use for the home network, tell it to use the Ethernet
> connection.
>
> Now, the desktop will share its dial-up connection over the wireless
> router to the laptop.
>
> To later share a broadband connection:
>
> 1. Undo the router settings in Step 3 so that it acts as a router
> again.
>
> 2. Disable ICS on the desktop.
>
> 3. Connect the broadband modem to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Mike,
???disabling the wifi would defeat the whole purpose, how would she connect
to the desktop? I plan on going thru the security routine
Frank L

"Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> In article <ew5p33MiFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Frank"
>> <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> >A friend has a dial up connection, Desktop w/internal nic and a new
> laptop
>> >with wireless nic. Both xp home. She wants to use the laptop about the
> house
>> >and share files, printer, etc. File and printer sharing is more
>> >important
>> >than the dial up, but she still wants that also.
>> >I suggested a wireless router (so she is ready for the future-when she
>> >breaks down and gets broadband) Is this the best and easiest solution ?
>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >Frank
>>
>> Good suggestion! A wireless router can do what your friend wants now,
>> and it can be easily reconfigured if/when she gets broadband.
>>
>> To share files, printers, and the dial-up Internet connection, follow
>> these steps on the desktop computer:
>>
>> 1. Set up a dial-up Internet connection.
>>
>> 2. Using a regular Ethernet cable, connect one of the wireless
>> router's LAN ports to the computer's wired Ethernet port. Don't
>> connect anything to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
>>
>> 3. Configure the wireless router to act as an access point only,
>> bypassing its routing capability. Some routers have a setup option
>> for that. If this router doesn't, disable its built-in DHCP server
>> and assign a static IP address in the range 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254
>> to its LAN port.
>>
>> 4. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the dial-up connection. If
>> it asks what to use for the home network, tell it to use the Ethernet
>> connection.
>>
>> Now, the desktop will share its dial-up connection over the wireless
>> router to the laptop.
>>
>> To later share a broadband connection:
>>
>> 1. Undo the router settings in Step 3 so that it acts as a router
>> again.
>>
>> 2. Disable ICS on the desktop.
>>
>> 3. Connect the broadband modem to the router's WAN (Internet) port.
>> --
>> Best Wishes,
>> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
>> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
>> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
> In addition, I would make sure she either disables the WiFi
> section of the router (some allow that others don't) or make
> sure some encryption is turned on -- not too bad on dialup,
> but you still may find yourself "sharing" your bandwidth out
> in their car.
>
> mikey

Ooops -- sorry -- misread one line there. I thought the
plan was to go wired, but get a wireless one for later
(in which case the wireless would not be used now).
My bad ! Definitely put protection on though. The
other thing I do is have my router where I can see it
easily -- if I see network traffic when I don't expect it
that is bad (that was how I discovered a while back my
son had installed Kazza and it's associated junk - grrrr ).

mikey