P4 3.4GHz temperature range

Hello,
I am a first time pc builder, so please be gentle !

I have installed an Intel P4 3.4GHz with stock heatsink and fan into an ABIT
AA8 Duramax motherboard (775)
IIt seems to be running hot, but I cant find any reference that gives me an
estimate of the range I should expect.

I have it installed in a POWMAX mini-tower case
http://www.powmax.com/pics/traditional/0769case.htm with an ANTEC 420W
supply
I have two ANTEC 80mm case fans
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75001 expelling at rear,
and two impelling (inhaling?) at front. I have the front raised to allow air
intake.

When I first installed I used slower fans, and exceeded the alarm threshold
of 75 celcius at load.. It idled at around 60 in a room temp of 68 celcius

Now, It idles at 53 (ish) and load (running NeverWinter Nights or Morrowind)
peaks at about 68. Also in a (cold) room of about 68 celcius.

Is this normal ? The cpu fan is quite loud with a headache inducing whine.
At load the aprox. fan speeds are ... cpu 4700 Northbridge (NB) 4380

I obtained these figures from the uGuru utility that came with the ABIT
mobo.

One thing I havn't tried is to remove the thermal pad from the heatsink and
replace it with thermal compund (grease). I am reluctant to do so for
several reasons, primarily because I had a dickens of a time getting the
thing on !

I have read conflicting reports about doing this. Some saying the Intel
thermal pad is as good as, or better, than grease. I have also read that the
grease degrades overtime and needs replacing every 6 months or so. I don't
relish that !

Any help or advice you may have would be appreciated.

What temp range should I expect ?
Should I try even faster case fans ?
Should I get a bigger case (something I was trying to avoid)
Should I risk using the thermal grease ?

Thanks for readin,
Anthony
5 answers Last reply
More about 4ghz temperature range

    I'm running a P4 @ 3.0 with Hyperthreading., 2 fans rear, 2 fans
    front, one top, one side, one in power supply. I have the thermocouple
    buried in the CPU heatsink, I read 32 deg C and Northbridge reads 34
    deg C. Rarely goes over 40 deg C. Things run warmer with
    hyperthreading off.

    "Anthony Elcocks" <none@given.info> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I am a first time pc builder, so please be gentle !
    >
    > I have installed an Intel P4 3.4GHz with stock heatsink and fan into an
    ABIT
    > AA8 Duramax motherboard (775)
    > IIt seems to be running hot, but I cant find any reference that gives me
    an
    > estimate of the range I should expect.
    >
    > I have it installed in a POWMAX mini-tower case
    > http://www.powmax.com/pics/traditional/0769case.htm with an ANTEC 420W
    > supply
    > I have two ANTEC 80mm case fans
    > http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75001 expelling at rear,
    > and two impelling (inhaling?) at front. I have the front raised to allow
    air
    > intake.
    >
    > When I first installed I used slower fans, and exceeded the alarm
    threshold
    > of 75 celcius at load.. It idled at around 60 in a room temp of 68 celcius
    >
    > Now, It idles at 53 (ish) and load (running NeverWinter Nights or
    Morrowind)
    > peaks at about 68. Also in a (cold) room of about 68 celcius.
    >
    > Is this normal ? The cpu fan is quite loud with a headache inducing whine.
    > At load the aprox. fan speeds are ... cpu 4700 Northbridge (NB) 4380
    >
    > I obtained these figures from the uGuru utility that came with the ABIT
    > mobo.
    >
    > One thing I havn't tried is to remove the thermal pad from the heatsink
    and
    > replace it with thermal compund (grease). I am reluctant to do so for
    > several reasons, primarily because I had a dickens of a time getting the
    > thing on !
    >
    > I have read conflicting reports about doing this. Some saying the Intel
    > thermal pad is as good as, or better, than grease. I have also read that
    the
    > grease degrades overtime and needs replacing every 6 months or so. I don't
    > relish that !
    >
    > Any help or advice you may have would be appreciated.
    >
    > What temp range should I expect ?
    > Should I try even faster case fans ?
    > Should I get a bigger case (something I was trying to avoid)
    > Should I risk using the thermal grease ?
    >
    > Thanks for readin,
    > Anthony

    Could you clarify the temps? Do you really think that 68C is a "cold" room?
    I figure that you must mean 68F which I'd consider a "normal" room
    temperature. For my own systems, I figure that any CPU temperature over 60C
    under 100% loading is probably about the max. Allowing for your 3.4gHz clock
    I might extend that to 65C but beyond that you have no safety margin before
    the system starts shutting down at random -- like when one of the case fans
    stalls and you can't tell because of the whine of all the other fans or when
    the room temperature climbs for some reason.

    Also, you you have readings for the case or other internal temperatures?
    These can be useful in determining if there is an airflow or other problem
    in the case.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    temps are in celcius ... and yes ... for the room I mean 68 farenheit
    (sorry - got confused)

    CPU 52 / 68
    SYS 41 / 42
    PWM1 43 / 47
    PWM2 43 / 47

    (PWM is the temp. around the CPU power supplying circuit ... apparently)

    Fan speeds (approx RPM)
    CPU Fan 3000 / 4700
    Northbridge 4080 / 4400

    I got these using the uGuru utilty supplied by ABIT

    As you can see, the system doesn't rise much ... just the cpu
    I was hoping someone could say "oh, yeah - that's normal", or maybe point me
    to an intel website that spoke in laymans english using temperature
    thresholds instead of electrical engineer-ese.

    > temps are in celcius ... and yes ... for the room I mean 68 farenheit
    > (sorry - got confused)
    >
    > CPU 52 / 68
    > SYS 41 / 42
    > PWM1 43 / 47
    > PWM2 43 / 47
    >
    > (PWM is the temp. around the CPU power supplying circuit ... apparently)
    >
    > Fan speeds (approx RPM)
    > CPU Fan 3000 / 4700
    > Northbridge 4080 / 4400
    >
    > I got these using the uGuru utilty supplied by ABIT
    >
    > As you can see, the system doesn't rise much ... just the cpu
    > I was hoping someone could say "oh, yeah - that's normal", or maybe point me
    > to an intel website that spoke in laymans english using temperature
    > thresholds instead of electrical engineer-ese.

    The only temperature that matters is your CPU temperature at
    maximum load, which in your case (if I'm reading your post right)
    is 68 C. I'd say that was too high. It would be best to try to get
    it down around 60 C. You need a more efficient CPU heatsink and fan.

    On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:01:37 -0500, "Anthony Elcocks" <none@given.info>
    wrote:

    > temps are in celcius
    >CPU 52 / 68

    >I was hoping someone could say "oh, yeah - that's normal", or....

    These temps are normal onDie ones (from internal Cpu´s diode) for
    PrescHOTs at those frequencies. Looks like your MoBo is reporting them
    properly from there ... With beter HSF (expencier) & AS5 therm.paste
    instead of that Intels therm.pad attached to its stock cooler & better
    AirFlow thru the case, you could lower them a bit (few degrees) ...
    but even than do not expect miracles with a Cpu that consumes so much
    of electricity ... if is stable even on summer (temps will be around
    5°C or even more higher than now), do not worry (the Cpu will NOT be
    thermal throttling so soon!)

    Do not believe people saying to you ridiculous temps (lower than
    50/60°C) with Cpu like that, because their reporting of temps is not
    from inner Cpu diode or not revealed properly !!!

    Everybody can go to my site under comp/benches to enlighten themselves
    a bit about certain stuff (some reading) ...

    --
    Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Homebuilt Temperature Systems