dvd cd rom speaker cable

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I just purchased the parts and built a computer buying two OEM drives (DVD
RW w/the works, and a DVD/CD ROM alone). Since they were OEM they didn't
come with cables. How necessary is it for me to get speaker cables for the
drives? I tried a music cd and a dvd and both played sound. Is there
another reason? I am using onboard sound right now so maybe that's why.
Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article Eric says...
> I just purchased the parts and built a computer buying two OEM drives (DVD
> RW w/the works, and a DVD/CD ROM alone). Since they were OEM they didn't
> come with cables. How necessary is it for me to get speaker cables for the
> drives? I tried a music cd and a dvd and both played sound. Is there
> another reason? I am using onboard sound right now so maybe that's why.
> Thanks.

With Windows/Linux, its not necessary at all using any of the media
players. TBH its become one of those redundant things. I suppose you
"may" need it if you've got one of those drives with a "play/stop"
button on the front and you wanted to play CDs without firing up an app
but how many people do?

--
Conor

America: A democracy so successful, even the Ukranians copy it.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

There should be no need fo buying that cable (altough its cheap).
If you enable Analog audio output, data would run over that cable directly
to SoundCard (with no software interference - lesser usega of IDE cable,
maybe lower CPU usage, but no chance of software mixing, quality
ripping...). So enable Digital output (/disable Analog), as you have done,
and everything will work fine.

Zdenek Sojka

"Eric" <justsome1@cox.net> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku
> I just purchased the parts and built a computer buying two OEM drives (DVD
> RW w/the works, and a DVD/CD ROM alone). Since they were OEM they didn't
> come with cables. How necessary is it for me to get speaker cables for
the
> drives? I tried a music cd and a dvd and both played sound. Is there
> another reason? I am using onboard sound right now so maybe that's why.
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <sGdtd.137752$SW3.102614@fed1read01>, justsome1@cox.net
says...
> I just purchased the parts and built a computer buying two OEM drives (DVD
> RW w/the works, and a DVD/CD ROM alone). Since they were OEM they didn't
> come with cables. How necessary is it for me to get speaker cables for the
> drives? I tried a music cd and a dvd and both played sound. Is there
> another reason? I am using onboard sound right now so maybe that's why.
> Thanks.

That's for win98 and the like that can't get the audio from the IDE
channel.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

If you are using XP as your OS then you do NOT have to connect the Audio
cable for your DVD-ROM because the DVD uses its data cable to send the
signal in XP.

--
DaveW

"Eric" <justsome1@cox.net> wrote in message
>I just purchased the parts and built a computer buying two OEM drives (DVD
>RW w/the works, and a DVD/CD ROM alone). Since they were OEM they didn't
>come with cables. How necessary is it for me to get speaker cables for the
>drives? I tried a music cd and a dvd and both played sound. Is there
>another reason? I am using onboard sound right now so maybe that's why.
>Thanks.

Paul

Splendid

Conor wrote:

> In article Eric says...
>
>>I just purchased the parts and built a computer buying two OEM drives (DVD
>>RW w/the works, and a DVD/CD ROM alone). Since they were OEM they didn't
>>come with cables. How necessary is it for me to get speaker cables for the
>>drives? I tried a music cd and a dvd and both played sound. Is there
>>another reason? I am using onboard sound right now so maybe that's why.
>>Thanks.
>>

> With Windows/Linux, its not necessary at all using any of the media
> players. TBH its become one of those redundant things. I suppose you
> "may" need it if you've got one of those drives with a "play/stop"
> button on the front and you wanted to play CDs without firing up an app
> but how many people do?

I used too. But they seemed to have stopped putting those buttons on
modern drives. I suppose there's nothing stopping me putting an old
drive in my PC for this purpose. Wouldn't even need to connect the IDE
cable :)

--
Paul