Freezes

About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE 6.0, the
computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything appears
normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it will
freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank area
with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it will not
complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it will
not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think of,
including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon
5 answers Last reply
More about freezes

    Confirm that you have all the IE 6 Win Updates installed.

    If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the Yahoo software.

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "mindon" <mindon@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE 6.0,
    the
    > computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything appears
    > normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it will
    > freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank area
    > with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
    > circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it will
    not
    > complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it
    will
    > not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think of,
    > including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon

    Jack, thanks for your help. Unfortunately, after downloading the IE6
    update, the computer will not install it. The install box says "Installing
    Browser Customizations," but it remains at 0% installed. Any suggestions?

    > Confirm that you have all the IE 6 Win Updates installed.
    >
    > If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the Yahoo software.

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "mindon" <mindon@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE 6.0,
    > the
    > > computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything appears
    > > normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it will
    > > freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank
    area
    > > with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
    > > circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it will
    > not
    > > complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it
    > will
    > > not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think of,
    > > including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon

    Uninstall Norton?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Jack, thanks for your help. Unfortunately, after downloading the IE6
    > update, the computer will not install it. The install box says
    > "Installing
    > Browser Customizations," but it remains at 0% installed. Any suggestions?
    >
    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    >> Confirm that you have all the IE 6 Win Updates installed.
    >>
    >> If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the Yahoo software.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    >> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >> ------
    >> "mindon" <mindon@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> > About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE 6.0,
    >> the
    >> > computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything appears
    >> > normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it will
    >> > freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank
    > area
    >> > with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
    >> > circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it will
    >> not
    >> > complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it
    >> will
    >> > not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think
    >> > of,
    >> > including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon

    Jack, I neglected to mention to you that I did follow your recommendation to
    uninstall and reinstall Yahoo.. Still, no MS updates from Microsoft will
    install. Thanks again.

    > Confirm that you have all the IE 6 Win Updates installed.
    >
    > If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the Yahoo software.

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "mindon" <mindon@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE 6.0,
    > the
    > > computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything appears
    > > normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it will
    > > freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank
    area
    > > with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
    > > circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it will
    > not
    > > complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it
    > will
    > > not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think of,
    > > including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon

    Begin here:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    > Jack, I neglected to mention to you that I did follow your recommendation
    > uninstall and reinstall Yahoo.. Still, no MS updates from Microsoft will
    > install. Thanks again.
    >

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Confirm that you have all the IE 6 Win Updates installed.
    > >
    > > If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the Yahoo software.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "mindon" <mindon@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE
    6.0,
    > > the
    > > > computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything
    appears
    > > > normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it
    will
    > > > freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank
    > area
    > > > with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
    > > > circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it
    will
    > > not
    > > > complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it
    > > will
    > > > not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think
    of,
    > > > including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows