Freezes

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 5, 2005 1:34:45 PM

About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE 6.0, the
computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything appears
normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it will
freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank area
with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it will not
complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it will
not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think of,
including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon

More about : freezes

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:51:08 AM

Confirm that you have all the IE 6 Win Updates installed.

If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the Yahoo software.

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"mindon" <mindon@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o 5pfgjZIFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE 6.0,
the
> computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything appears
> normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it will
> freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank area
> with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
> circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it will
not
> complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it
will
> not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think of,
> including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:48:37 PM

Jack, thanks for your help. Unfortunately, after downloading the IE6
update, the computer will not install it. The install box says "Installing
Browser Customizations," but it remains at 0% installed. Any suggestions?

news:o dmzNpjIFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Confirm that you have all the IE 6 Win Updates installed.
>
> If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the Yahoo software.

> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "mindon" <mindon@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:o 5pfgjZIFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE 6.0,
> the
> > computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything appears
> > normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it will
> > freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank
area
> > with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
> > circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it will
> not
> > complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it
> will
> > not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think of,
> > including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon

March 6, 2005 10:32:28 PM

Uninstall Norton?

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Jack, thanks for your help. Unfortunately, after downloading the IE6
> update, the computer will not install it. The install box says
> "Installing
> Browser Customizations," but it remains at 0% installed. Any suggestions?
>
> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> news:o dmzNpjIFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Confirm that you have all the IE 6 Win Updates installed.
>>
>> If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the Yahoo software.
>>
>> --
>> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ------
>> "mindon" <mindon@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 5pfgjZIFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE 6.0,
>> the
>> > computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything appears
>> > normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it will
>> > freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank
> area
>> > with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
>> > circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it will
>> not
>> > complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it
>> will
>> > not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think
>> > of,
>> > including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:37:39 AM

Jack, I neglected to mention to you that I did follow your recommendation to
uninstall and reinstall Yahoo.. Still, no MS updates from Microsoft will
install. Thanks again.

news:o dmzNpjIFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Confirm that you have all the IE 6 Win Updates installed.
>
> If the problem persists, uninstall and reinstall the Yahoo software.

> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "mindon" <mindon@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:o 5pfgjZIFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > About half the time when I open my home page on My Yahoo, using IE 6.0,
> the
> > computer freezes. When the page does display fully, everything appears
> > normal until I enter a news story. There, about 70% of the time it will
> > freeze. Each time it freezes, on either page, I have noticed a blank
area
> > with a small white box containing a red square and a blue triangle and
> > circle. Oh, also, when I attempt to install a Microsoft update it will
> not
> > complete. The bar either shows 0% installed or 100% installed, but it
> will
> > not close or be installed. I have tried everything that I can think of,
> > including system restore. You are my last hope. Thanks. Mindon

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:01:09 PM

Begin here:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/