Recently Used File List History/Memory - How to erase??

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 5, 2005 11:53:02 AM

When I open either MediaPlayer9 or Internet Explorer, and I click on "FILE"
in the upper-left corner, and then click "OPEN", and then "BROWSE" from the
pop-up window, and select "ALL FILES" (under "Files of Type"), I get drop
down list of all my recently viewed/used files with their complete path e.g:
C\Program Files\abc..etc..etc..
I find this VERY disconcerting from a privacy standpoint. How do turn this
off?
PS-Yes, I have erased all History in Internet Explorer, and in MediaPlayer9
and have also de-selected the "Save File and URL History" box in MediaPlayer9.
I have also used "CLEAR" command in the Advanced area of TaskBar&StartUp Menu.
I can't find info on this anywhere on Microsoft's "How To" / "Help" pages.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:21:03 PM

PSPS-The same thing occurs when I hit "RUN" from the "START" button: -i.e.,
when I hit "BROWSE" from the Pop-up "RUN" menu, and select "ALL FILES" from
"Files of Type", it keeps displaying the LAST 10 files I've used.
HOW DO YOU TURN THIS OFF SO others can't tell which files I've recently
accessed??!!

"rtlltr" wrote:

> When I open either MediaPlayer9 or Internet Explorer, and I click on "FILE"
> in the upper-left corner, and then click "OPEN", and then "BROWSE" from the
> pop-up window, and select "ALL FILES" (under "Files of Type"), I get drop
> down list of all my recently viewed/used files with their complete path e.g:
> C\Program Files\abc..etc..etc..
> I find this VERY disconcerting from a privacy standpoint. How do turn this
> off?
> PS-Yes, I have erased all History in Internet Explorer, and in MediaPlayer9
> and have also de-selected the "Save File and URL History" box in MediaPlayer9.
> I have also used "CLEAR" command in the Advanced area of TaskBar&StartUp Menu.
> I can't find info on this anywhere on Microsoft's "How To" / "Help" pages.
March 5, 2005 2:46:24 PM

Install Tweak UI and look at the settings on the Paranoia tab.

Here's some information about this utility courtesy of MVP Mike Maltby:

TweakUI is a utility or interface that allows users to make certain
changes to the registry without having to use regedit. The program was
written by a Microsoft employee and was first released as part of the
PowerToys package for Win 95. The tool has been regularly updated over
the years with a version available for those using XP. If you haven't
got TweakUI the version for use with Win Me (v1.33) can be downloaded
from Microsoft
(http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powert...)
and installed as follows:

Download to a folder with a short name (e.g. C:\Tweak), run to extract
components, right click on tweakui.inf and then install, close the help
window that comes up to allow install to finish. C:\Tweak can now be
deleted and TweakUI accessed via the Control Panel.

Just a few words of caution if you are new to using TweakUI on Win Me.
a) Do not change the first icon (My Documents) on the Desktop tab.
Doing this causes a number of script errors in Special Folders when using
either WebView or Active desktop.
b) Do not uncheck "Search Results" on the Desktop tab.
Doing this disables the Search in Explorer.
c) Do not hide the TweakUI icon on the Control Panel tab.
d) Do not uncheck "Show Control Panel on Start Menu" on the IE tab.
Doing this will prevent you from accessing the Control Panel including
TweakUI.
e) Do not uncheck "Shell Enhancements" on the IE tab.
This causes quite a few unexpected "problems".

IE Privacy Keeper is also a useful utility to clear some of the items
not covered in Tweak UI.

http://www.unhsolutions.net/IEPK/index.shtml

!