Invalid System Disk

My son has been given my old ME computer.
I don't know what he has done to it but, now when he tries to boot up, he
gets the message "Invalid System Disk, replace disk and press any key".
He tell me that he has done nothing to it except download AVG update (Took 3
hours!!!) and uninstalled a printer.
Anybody any ideas please.
Frustrated Mother.
4 answers Last reply
More about invalid system disk

    > when he tries to boot up, he gets the message
    > "Invalid System Disk, replace disk and press any key".

    Confirm that a Floppy Disk hasn't been left in the A: drive. If so, remove
    it and 'press any key'

    Mart

    "Sal" <Sal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My son has been given my old ME computer.
    > I don't know what he has done to it but, now when he tries to boot up, he
    > gets the message "Invalid System Disk, replace disk and press any key".
    > He tell me that he has done nothing to it except download AVG update (Took
    > 3
    > hours!!!) and uninstalled a printer.
    > Anybody any ideas please.
    > Frustrated Mother.

    If there is no floppy disk in the drive, he may have corrupted one or more
    critical boot files.
    You will need a Windows ME boot disk. If you don't have one go to
    www.bootdisk.com to get a file that will make one.
    Boot from this boot disk (sometimes called Startup Disk) and at the prompt
    type the following
    sys c:
    Then press enter and it should say 3 files copied.
    Then remove the boot disk and restart.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> when he tries to boot up, he gets the message
    >> "Invalid System Disk, replace disk and press any key".
    >
    > Confirm that a Floppy Disk hasn't been left in the A: drive. If so, remove
    > it and 'press any key'
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Sal" <Sal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> My son has been given my old ME computer.
    >> I don't know what he has done to it but, now when he tries to boot up, he
    >> gets the message "Invalid System Disk, replace disk and press any key".
    >> He tell me that he has done nothing to it except download AVG update
    >> (Took 3
    >> hours!!!) and uninstalled a printer.
    >> Anybody any ideas please.
    >> Frustrated Mother.

    Hi and thankyou for the quick response
    There is no floppy in the drive. I thought I would try to enter safe mode
    and then go for system restore, but cannot get into Safe Mode.
    I have downloaded the boot disk as suggested and will give this to me son
    later today. Fingers crossed it works.

    > Hi and thankyou for the quick response
    > There is no floppy in the drive. I thought I would try to enter safe
    > mode and then go for system restore, but cannot get into Safe Mode.
    > I have downloaded the boot disk as suggested and will give this to me
    > son later today. Fingers crossed it works.
    >
    > "Richard Goh" wrote:
    >
    > > If there is no floppy disk in the drive, he may have corrupted one
    > > or more critical boot files.
    > > You will need a Windows ME boot disk. If you don't have one go to
    > > www.bootdisk.com to get a file that will make one.
    > > Boot from this boot disk (sometimes called Startup Disk) and at the
    > > prompt type the following
    > > sys c:
    > > Then press enter and it should say 3 files copied.
    > > Then remove the boot disk and restart.
    > >
    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Confirm that a Floppy Disk hasn't been left in the A: drive. If
    > > > so, remove it and 'press any key'
    > > >
    > > > Mart
    > > >

    > > > "Sal" <Sal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    The invalid disk problem for ME can be caused simply if certain attributes
    for the DOS system files have changed. Check that both copies (to avoid
    confusion) of command.com are system but not hidden, read-only doesn't
    matter. IO.SYS should be system and read-only, hidden doesn't matter.
    MSDOS.SYS should be read-only, system, and hidden. If you have a patched
    system and are using working Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files like I do,
    these two files should have normal attributes. I hope this helps - Good
    Luck.

    BS

Microsoft Windows