Problem with Norton Liveupdate

Hi,
I have just installed Norton Internet Security 2005 on my Win ME PC.

The installation went without a problem.
However when I use liveupdate to update the software, once the updates
have been downloaded and Norton starts to install them, the screen
turns blue and freezes.

The only way is to hard reboot the PC.
Once the PC is rebooted none of the liveupdates are installed.

Can anyone advise.

Thanks very much for any guidence.

Phil.
12 answers Last reply
More about problem norton liveupdate

    "portchey" <portchey@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have just installed Norton Internet Security 2005 on my Win ME PC.
    >
    > The installation went without a problem.
    > However when I use liveupdate to update the software, once the updates
    > have been downloaded and Norton starts to install them, the screen
    > turns blue and freezes.
    >
    > The only way is to hard reboot the PC.
    > Once the PC is rebooted none of the liveupdates are installed.
    >
    > Can anyone advise.
    >
    > Thanks very much for any guidence.

    You will no doubt be advised by the experts here to removed Nortons from your
    system. They have good reasons for this advise, especially if you're using
    anything more than just Nortons Anti-Virus (which I note you are).

    But, short of removal, you might try disabling Windows System Restore. At least
    when you find Live Update is telling you it wasn't do to anything more complex
    than just virus definitions. I've found that Nortons doesn't play nice with SR,
    especially when LU is doing anything other than simply downloading virus
    definitions. Also, on some systems, it can help to not let Live Update run
    automatically on system start up, but to use it manually instead.

    - Bill

    Uninstall Norton and return to vendor as not fit for purpose - Norton and
    Win ME don't play well!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "portchey" <portchey@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have just installed Norton Internet Security 2005 on my Win ME PC.
    >
    > The installation went without a problem.
    > However when I use liveupdate to update the software, once the updates
    > have been downloaded and Norton starts to install them, the screen
    > turns blue and freezes.
    >
    > The only way is to hard reboot the PC.
    > Once the PC is rebooted none of the liveupdates are installed.
    >
    > Can anyone advise.
    >
    > Thanks very much for any guidence.
    >
    > Phil.

    Hi Bill and Noel.

    I beleive I can get the updated Virus Definitions from Symantecs site
    and install them manually but where would I get the other updates,
    like ad blocking etc.

    Thanks for any advice.

    Phil.

    While Mr. Leary's advice re: disabling System Restore before running
    Symantec's Live Update on a WinME machine may permit Live Update to run
    successfully, I would comment that it is rather like removing all the brake
    fluid from one's master cylinder before driving down to get the Sunday
    newspaper --- not good!

    If the Live Update session kills winME, one is left with the possibility of
    running SR under DOS to recover.
    To paraphrase Mike Maltby's frequent comment in the WinME ng's, don't take
    off the parachute when "Norton stunt flying".

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
    > "portchey" <portchey@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have just installed Norton Internet Security 2005 on my Win ME PC.
    > >
    > > The installation went without a problem.
    > > However when I use liveupdate to update the software, once the updates
    > > have been downloaded and Norton starts to install them, the screen
    > > turns blue and freezes.
    > >
    > > The only way is to hard reboot the PC.
    > > Once the PC is rebooted none of the liveupdates are installed.
    > >
    > > Can anyone advise.
    > >
    > > Thanks very much for any guidence.
    >
    > You will no doubt be advised by the experts here to removed Nortons from
    your
    > system. They have good reasons for this advise, especially if you're
    using
    > anything more than just Nortons Anti-Virus (which I note you are).
    >
    > But, short of removal, you might try disabling Windows System Restore. At
    least
    > when you find Live Update is telling you it wasn't do to anything more
    complex
    > than just virus definitions. I've found that Nortons doesn't play nice
    with SR,
    > especially when LU is doing anything other than simply downloading virus
    > definitions. Also, on some systems, it can help to not let Live Update
    run
    > automatically on system start up, but to use it manually instead.
    >
    > - Bill

    Since I refuse to use ANY Norton software on any machine I work on regularly
    (and uninstall it by default on any client's machine unless I have VERY good
    reason not to!) I have no idea - and could possibly not care less.

    Symantec's support pages would seem to be the place to go - if you can find
    your way through the maze.

    --

    > While Mr. Leary's advice re: disabling System Restore before running
    > Symantec's Live Update on a WinME machine may permit Live Update to run
    > successfully, I would comment that it is rather like removing all the brake
    > fluid from one's master cylinder before driving down to get the Sunday
    > newspaper --- not good!

    I wasn't proposing leaving it turned off, though I suppose I wasn't clear on
    that point.

    My own experience with Nortons is limited to NAV only, 2003 and now 2005. After
    the initial install, it pulls down a large number of updates, including to the
    programs themselves. I've had few problems with 2005, but when I did 2003 I had
    problems whenever it did program updates. I quickly traced these to conflicts
    between it and SR. Other problems, including startup ones, were also SR
    conflicts Since the OP has the much larger suite, I thought that perhaps
    disabling SR might be helpful.

    Since I was sure numerous folks would suggest dumping the package, I figured it
    would hurt if I put out a suggestion on surviving it.

    > If the Live Update session kills winME, one is left with the possibility of
    > running SR under DOS to recover.
    > To paraphrase Mike Maltby's frequent comment in the WinME ng's, don't take
    > off the parachute when "Norton stunt flying".

    I don't recall ever reading that, but it's both colorful and useful.

    I'm aware of the feelings of the group on Nortons, and my experience has just
    been different. At least relevant to NAV. The rest of the suite, on the other
    hand, scares me and always has. Sometimes your milage can vary a great deal.

    - Bill

    Hi All,

    Looks like the best thing is for me to uninstall it then and look else
    where for a package that will work with Win ME.
    Maybe, ultimately, I should dump Win ME and upgrade to Win XP pro.

    Thanks for everyones help and guidence.

    Phil.

    Phil,

    Remember though that Norton can cause problems regardless of the operating
    system on which it is installed.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    portchey <portchey@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Looks like the best thing is for me to uninstall it then and look else
    > where for a package that will work with Win ME.
    > Maybe, ultimately, I should dump Win ME and upgrade to Win XP pro.
    >
    > Thanks for everyones help and guidence.

    Hi All,

    It seems that the installing of Norton, regardless of the operating
    system is a lottery.

    I have another PC that is running Win XP pro with Norton internet
    security 2004 and Ghost 9.
    No problems yet.
    Other people have had a nightmare with this conbination.
    I must be lucky on this PC.

    Just my 2 penneth !

    I too had problems with the full install of Norton Suite on Win ME.

    I then tried just putting on Norton Anti-Virus JUST on its own ....
    problems there too ... may a reformatting of hard drive in ,ost cases
    to reatore normality ... until I went back to NAV 2002 (any newer and
    loads of problems !) and had that on months now witt NO PROBLEMS AT
    ALL.

    Seems stuff later than 2002 is not really compatible with Windows ME
    ... well not in my experience anyway.

    Steve

    "Steve" <steve@removethis.parity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Just my 2 penneth !
    >
    > I too had problems with the full install of Norton Suite on Win ME.
    >
    > I then tried just putting on Norton Anti-Virus JUST on its own ....
    > problems there too ... may a reformatting of hard drive in ,ost cases
    > to reatore normality ... until I went back to NAV 2002 (any newer and
    > loads of problems !) and had that on months now witt NO PROBLEMS AT
    > ALL.
    >
    > Seems stuff later than 2002 is not really compatible with Windows ME
    > .. well not in my experience anyway.

    This feels like a shell game. *I* had constant minor problems and occasional
    major ones with 2003, but have had very few problems with 2005. Anti-virus
    only. I wonder if it matters what else you've got installed. Or, like HP*
    stuff, what order you install things in. Or ???

    - Bill
    ----------
    * I have an HP printer, scanner and DVD burner. While re-installing ME I
    discovered that if I didn't install their respective drivers and updates in just
    the right order they wouldn't all work and, in some cases, ME wouldn't even
    boot. I was incredibly lucky that when I called HP about one of the problems
    that the phone person actually admitted that the problem existed and, although
    she wasn't sure how to get around it, suggested things to watch out for.

    ....it'll happen!
    :(

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Steve" <steve@removethis.parity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Just my 2 penneth !
    >
    > I too had problems with the full install of Norton Suite on Win ME.
    >
    > I then tried just putting on Norton Anti-Virus JUST on its own ....
    > problems there too ... may a reformatting of hard drive in ,ost cases
    > to reatore normality ... until I went back to NAV 2002 (any newer and
    > loads of problems !) and had that on months now witt NO PROBLEMS AT
    > ALL.
    >
    > Seems stuff later than 2002 is not really compatible with Windows ME
    > .. well not in my experience anyway.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:21:19 -0000, "Noel Paton"
    > <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Since I refuse to use ANY Norton software on any machine I work on
    >>regularly
    >>(and uninstall it by default on any client's machine unless I have VERY
    >>good
    >>reason not to!) I have no idea - and could possibly not care less.
    >>
    >>Symantec's support pages would seem to be the place to go - if you can
    >>find
    >>your way through the maze.

Norton Internet Security Microsoft Windows