Memory Slot Question

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

My Abit KV7 motherboard has 3 dimm slots, with a maximum of 2 gig. What
would the affect be if i put 1 stick of 1gb 3200 into it with 1 stick of
256mb 2100?

TIA

--
Get a grip

"JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My Abit KV7 motherboard has 3 dimm slots, with a maximum of 2 gig. What
> would the affect be if i put 1 stick of 1gb 3200 into it with 1 stick of
> 256mb 2100?
>
> TIA

You'd be shooting yourself in the foot. The extra 256MB wouldn't help you,
but it WOULD slow you down, as the faster 1GB stick would be running at a
slower speed. -Dave

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Dave C. wrote:
> "JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > My Abit KV7 motherboard has 3 dimm slots, with a maximum of 2 gig.
> > What would the affect be if i put 1 stick of 1gb 3200 into it with
> > 1 stick of 256mb 2100?
> >

> You'd be shooting yourself in the foot. The extra 256MB wouldn't
> help you, but it WOULD slow you down, as the faster 1GB stick would
> be running at a slower speed. -Dave

Thanks, this is what i'm aiming to buy:
http://tinyurl.com/62pnm

Is their anything i should be worrying about with that?

--
Get a grip

"JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in news:31mnjvF3bsm88U1
@individual.net:

> Thanks, this is what i'm aiming to buy:
> http://tinyurl.com/62pnm
>
> Is their anything i should be worrying about with that?

Manufacturer: Various?? 4.70 P&P = 99.98 UKP
You dont know what you'll be getting.

2*512 (CT6464Z40B) = 101 UKP ,
free postage ,
lifetime limted warrantee,
30day no quibble.
excellent resale value,
can be used later in a dual channel board,
some redundancy if a stick should fail :)

--
Lordy

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Lordy wrote:
> Manufacturer: Various?? 4.70 P&P = 99.98 UKP
> You dont know what you'll be getting.

> 2*512 (CT6464Z40B) = 101 UKP ,
> free postage ,
> lifetime limted warrantee,
> 30day no quibble.
> excellent resale value,
> can be used later in a dual channel board,
> some redundancy if a stick should fail :)

Is this also from microdirect? Thanks for info dude.

--
Get a grip

"JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in news:31mp8pF36p6j2U1
@individual.net:

> Lordy wrote:
>> Manufacturer: Various?? 4.70 P&P = 99.98 UKP
>> You dont know what you'll be getting.

>> 2*512 (CT6464Z40B) = 101 UKP ,
>> free postage ,
>> lifetime limted warrantee,
>> 30day no quibble.
>> excellent resale value,
>> can be used later in a dual channel board,
>> some redundancy if a stick should fail :)
>
> Is this also from microdirect? Thanks for info dude.

No. buy direct from Crucial.

www.crucial.com/uk

[I was gonna insert more slaps but I'd look childish ].

Get other opinions first, I'm no expert, but thats the option I would go
for. unless you have very particular and specific needs for lots of
memory (ie more than 1.5G long term) then a 1G stick may meet you needs
better - but this is a very tiny minority of people (not including me!)

--
Lordy

Both sticks would be limited to running at the speed of the slowest one,
namely the PC 2100.

--
DaveW

"JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My Abit KV7 motherboard has 3 dimm slots, with a maximum of 2 gig. What
> would the affect be if i put 1 stick of 1gb 3200 into it with 1 stick of
> 256mb 2100?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Get a grip

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I would remove the slower 256 module. Why slow the 1 GB ram to accomodate
the 256? This is a reatively inexpensive module compared to the 1 GB module.