another memory question

I have an Asus K8v-X mobo with an AMD athlon 64 3000 cpu in it. I have two
DDR400 memory sticks of 256 each. The board has one blue slot, and two
black slots. The manual says use the blue slot first, then add to it by
putting more memory in the black slots.

Using Everest to monitor the system and clock the times, I get 2,987 Mb/Sec
read time with one stick in the blue slot, and 2508 when I add the second
one in the black slot. Writes fall, too, from 978 Mb/Sec to 851 Mb/sec, and
latency increases from 68.5 to 78.7 nano seconds.

Anybody know what's going on here, and is best, if you want the fastest
machine, to just buy one large memory module and put it in the blue slot?

as alway, tia

avery

"-Avery Anderson-" <avery@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have an Asus K8v-X mobo with an AMD athlon 64 3000 cpu in it. I have two
>DDR400 memory sticks of 256 each. The board has one blue slot, and two
>black slots. The manual says use the blue slot first, then add to it by
>putting more memory in the black slots.
>
> Using Everest to monitor the system and clock the times, I get 2,987
> Mb/Sec read time with one stick in the blue slot, and 2508 when I add the
> second one in the black slot. Writes fall, too, from 978 Mb/Sec to 851
> Mb/sec, and latency increases from 68.5 to 78.7 nano seconds.
>
> Anybody know what's going on here, and is best, if you want the fastest
> machine, to just buy one large memory module and put it in the blue slot?
>
> as alway, tia
>
> avery

Even in a single channel memory bus it is important that the sticks are
matched.
Too, they should have the best CAS latency you can find.

After that, consider memory tweaking in BIOS. If everything is on AUTO there
is no telling what you timings you have.

You might check in ALT.COMP.HARDWARE.AMD.X86-64. That group has a lot of
experience.

JPS