AMD Athlon XP-M 3000+ with ABIT nf7-s2

Hi. I just tried to drop a XP-M 3000+ (266FSB) onto my NF7-S2 and the
mobo only recognizes it as a "Mobile AMD Athlon" running at 600 MHz.
I'm also running two sticks of 256 MB OCZ PC-4200 and an optorite
dvd-rw, and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. What's going on here? First time
building, running into problems.

Cam
4 answers Last reply
More about athlon 3000 abit

    playultimate2@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi. I just tried to drop a XP-M 3000+ (266FSB) onto my NF7-S2 and the
    > mobo only recognizes it as a "Mobile AMD Athlon" running at 600 MHz.
    > I'm also running two sticks of 256 MB OCZ PC-4200 and an optorite
    > dvd-rw, and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. What's going on here? First time
    > building, running into problems.
    >
    > Cam

    I'm curious why you picked putting a mobile processor in a desktop
    motherboard as a first time build.

    At any rate, you have to go into the BIOS and manually set it up because
    mobiles, in a desktop mobo, boot with their 'low power' (meaning low speed)
    multiplier.

    The motherboard may have also defaulted to 100MHz FSB, so set that too.

    And, lastly, it may not report the speed correctly for a mobile (although,
    since it said it was a mobile it looks like that one knows about them and
    should report it correctly).

    I picked a mobile because I was following the advice of a buddy of mine
    who's using a mobile. Said it was good for oc'ing because of the
    dynamic voltage or something like that. When I tried to manually set
    up the BIOS, I discovered that problem: I couldn't change the settings
    I needed to (i.e. there was no way to change the multiplier). It also
    turns out that I was supposed to get the ABIT NF7-S V 2 instead of
    NF7-S2 (which seem like absurdly similar product numbers). Regardless,
    I got an RMA from newegg.com and am switching out the motherboard.

    The NF7-S V 2 will correctly report the cpu speed-- reads out as an
    unrecognized processor running at X GHz. Also the old board did
    default to 100 FSB. Thanks for your help. I'll follow up when I get
    the new board in.

    Cam

    playultimate2@gmail.com wrote:

    > I picked a mobile because I was following the advice of a buddy of mine
    > who's using a mobile. Said it was good for oc'ing because of the
    > dynamic voltage or something like that.

    Yes, overclocking would be the reason. I was just curious because first
    time builders don't usually go that way.

    > When I tried to manually set
    > up the BIOS, I discovered that problem: I couldn't change the settings
    > I needed to (i.e. there was no way to change the multiplier). It also
    > turns out that I was supposed to get the ABIT NF7-S V 2 instead of
    > NF7-S2 (which seem like absurdly similar product numbers). Regardless,
    > I got an RMA from newegg.com and am switching out the motherboard.

    I find it strange that *any* Abit motherboard wouldn't have multiplier
    adjust but it's a moot point since you're getting the other version.

    > The NF7-S V 2 will correctly report the cpu speed-- reads out as an
    > unrecognized processor running at X GHz.

    So does my DFI.

    > Also the old board did
    > default to 100 FSB.

    That is quite common.

    > Thanks for your help. I'll follow up when I get
    > the new board in.
    >
    > Cam

    Okie, if you want to run a mobile AMD, do not get the NF7-S2. It will
    not work correctly. Instead get the NF7-S version 2. There are a
    number of very similar product designations. Make sure you get the
    right one and everything will be fine.

Homebuilt AMD Windows XP Systems