Over 500 fomts on your system problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 5, 2005 4:35:04 PM

I have recently been getting a message box saying that I have over 500 fonts
installed etc. On looking, I have around 800+, most of which have been
installed by programs I have installed for teaching my disabled son.
I realise about the maximum size in the registry etc but, if I delete the
fonts, the programs won't work (I presume) as they need them.Is there a way
around this? Everything seems to be working ok apart from the warning
Thanks
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:14:05 AM

"TrueType Font Limits in Windows 95/98/Me"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;131943

If there's a problem, you could always remove any/all the fonts that you
never use.

Mart

"Hillneerg" <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently been getting a message box saying that I have over 500
>fonts
> installed etc. On looking, I have around 800+, most of which have been
> installed by programs I have installed for teaching my disabled son.
> I realise about the maximum size in the registry etc but, if I delete the
> fonts, the programs won't work (I presume) as they need them.Is there a
> way
> around this? Everything seems to be working ok apart from the warning
> Thanks
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:53:40 PM

As you cannot possibly use all those fonts, just remove the ones you
don't need and get down under 500, although I usually recommend 250
maximum.
Copy them to another folder elsewhere before you delete them if you
have doubts. Sort the Fonts folder by date and you may get an idea as
to what programs installed them, as large applications often install
in blocks with the same date. Leave the fonts that came with Win Me
alone.

If you really want all those fonts, then use a font manager and only
install them when you need them.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, Hillneerg
<Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have recently been getting a message box saying that I have over 500 fonts
>installed etc. On looking, I have around 800+, most of which have been
>installed by programs I have installed for teaching my disabled son.
>I realise about the maximum size in the registry etc but, if I delete the
>fonts, the programs won't work (I presume) as they need them.Is there a way
>around this? Everything seems to be working ok apart from the warning
>Thanks
March 6, 2005 2:53:41 PM

The problem with deleting them is that, I would presume, the programs that
installed them must actually need them. Would deleting them mean that the
program would just display using standard windows fonts instead or could it
cease to function?
I have already fornd 57 fonds with a 0kb size so have dumped them. I have
also downloaded a font manager (Fontlister) so, am I right in saying that I
can copy the majority of fonts installed since the date I got the PC to a CD
and, if there are any problems, just re-install that particular font?Also, is
there somewhere where I can find a list of the fonts used by WinMe to ensure
that I don't delete any of them?Thanks
Hillneerg

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> As you cannot possibly use all those fonts, just remove the ones you
> don't need and get down under 500, although I usually recommend 250
> maximum.
> Copy them to another folder elsewhere before you delete them if you
> have doubts. Sort the Fonts folder by date and you may get an idea as
> to what programs installed them, as large applications often install
> in blocks with the same date. Leave the fonts that came with Win Me
> alone.
>
> If you really want all those fonts, then use a font manager and only
> install them when you need them.
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, Hillneerg
> <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have recently been getting a message box saying that I have over 500 fonts
> >installed etc. On looking, I have around 800+, most of which have been
> >installed by programs I have installed for teaching my disabled son.
> >I realise about the maximum size in the registry etc but, if I delete the
> >fonts, the programs won't work (I presume) as they need them.Is there a way
> >around this? Everything seems to be working ok apart from the warning
> >Thanks

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 6:18:59 AM

It is not necessarily true that a program installs only fonts that it
needs. WordPerfect and Word install fonts you don't need, though it is
difficult to determine this. Some word processing applications will
let you install hundreds of "extra" fonts that are not needed.

I am afraid you have to be very careful in deleting the fonts and you
will have to look at each set of fonts to determine what application
installed them and whether you need all the fonts it installed.
Of course, if you installed fonts yourself, then only you know if you
really need them.

Look here for Windows fonts. Take Win98 SE as WinMe.
Fonts and products:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.asp
You will also find them if you sort by date and have a look at Times
New Roman. The date should be 08-06-2000 (or 06-08-2000, depending on
your date format)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, Hillneerg
<Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The problem with deleting them is that, I would presume, the programs that
>installed them must actually need them. Would deleting them mean that the
>program would just display using standard windows fonts instead or could it
>cease to function?
>I have already fornd 57 fonds with a 0kb size so have dumped them. I have
>also downloaded a font manager (Fontlister) so, am I right in saying that I
>can copy the majority of fonts installed since the date I got the PC to a CD
>and, if there are any problems, just re-install that particular font?Also, is
>there somewhere where I can find a list of the fonts used by WinMe to ensure
>that I don't delete any of them?Thanks
>Hillneerg
>
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> As you cannot possibly use all those fonts, just remove the ones you
>> don't need and get down under 500, although I usually recommend 250
>> maximum.
>> Copy them to another folder elsewhere before you delete them if you
>> have doubts. Sort the Fonts folder by date and you may get an idea as
>> to what programs installed them, as large applications often install
>> in blocks with the same date. Leave the fonts that came with Win Me
>> alone.
>>
>> If you really want all those fonts, then use a font manager and only
>> install them when you need them.
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>

>> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, Hillneerg
>> <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have recently been getting a message box saying that I have over 500 fonts
>> >installed etc. On looking, I have around 800+, most of which have been
>> >installed by programs I have installed for teaching my disabled son.
>> >I realise about the maximum size in the registry etc but, if I delete the
>> >fonts, the programs won't work (I presume) as they need them.Is there a way
>> >around this? Everything seems to be working ok apart from the warning
>> >Thanks

March 7, 2005 12:15:33 PM

=?Utf-8?B?SGlsbG5lZXJn?= <Hillneerg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> is there somewhere where I can find a list
> of the fonts used by WinMe to ensure that I don't delete any of
> them?Thanks Hillneerg

Something I noted a few years ago about 'required' fonts for Win 9.x &
ME, cannot remember source sorry. These are essential fonts listed here.
Hope this helps.

Arial (TrueType)
Arial Bold (TrueType)
Arial Bold Italic (TrueType)
Arial Italic (TrueType)
Bookshelf Symbols 1-3
Comic Sans and Comic BD
Courier 10,12,15 (VGA res)
Courier New (TrueType)
Courier New Bold (TrueType)
Courier New Bold Italic (TrueType)
Courier New Italic (TrueType)
Marlett (Windows 95/98)*
Modern (Plotter)
MS Sans Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGA res)
MS Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGA res)
Roman (Plotter)
Script (Plotter)
Small fonts (VGA res)
Symbol (TrueType)
Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGA res)
Tahoma
Times New Roman (TrueType) -
Times New Roman Bold (TrueType)
Times New Roman Bold Italic (TrueType)
Times New Roman Italic (TrueType)
Webdings
Wingdings (TrueType)
Any font with a red A for its icon.
Any font that begins with the letters MS.

*Marlett is a hidden system file and it will not show up in a search,
however, it may show up in your program font lists.

--
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in

Fonts installed by Windows

Win95, Win98, WinME

http://www.kayskreations.net/fonts/fonttb.html
----

Frequently encountered problems with fonts:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CommonFontProbs...

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------

!