Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon Pixma iP3000 & iP4000 - Differences..?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 4:55:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
while. I'll probably get one for myself, test it on the Vigor's USB
port & recommend it for use on that setup if it works.

The only differences I can see between the iP3000 & iP4000 are that the
iP4000 has the parallel port & 5-ink cartridges. Are there any others
I've missed..? I've never had an inkjet before, so I don't know that
I'll notice any quality differences. Are the iP4000's cartridge sets
likely to be (much) more expensive..?

I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles
built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is
FUBAR, but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that
they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..?

TIA for all advices,

Stroller.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 6:57:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Stroller wrote:

> Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
> Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
> since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
> while. I'll probably get one for myself, test it on the Vigor's USB
> port & recommend it for use on that setup if it works.
>
> The only differences I can see between the iP3000 & iP4000 are that the
> iP4000 has the parallel port & 5-ink cartridges. Are there any others
> I've missed..? I've never had an inkjet before, so I don't know that
> I'll notice any quality differences. Are the iP4000's cartridge sets
> likely to be (much) more expensive..?
>
> I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles
> built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is
> FUBAR, but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that
> they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..?
>
> TIA for all advices,
>
> Stroller.

Going by the Canon features & specifications sheets distributed to dealers
recently, the iP4000 is also supposed to be slightly faster (25 ppm
black/17 ppm colour) than the iP3000 (22 ppm/15ppm). Other than that, the
specs are much the same . The 1P3000's print head has a 1600 nozzle print
head while the iP4000 has 1856 nozzles (both 1200 dpi spacing). As you
noted, the iP4000 also has the "photo black" dye cartridge in addition to
the black pigment and cyan, yellow and magenta dye cartridges.

I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
(though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand picked
to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon, I'd be
tempted to consider buying one...

Al Preston
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 6:57:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message news:<dcO1d.20774$KU5.17685@edtnps89>...
> Stroller wrote:
>
> > Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
> > Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
> > since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
> > while....
>
> ...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
> (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand picked
> to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon, I'd be
> tempted to consider buying one...

Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?

TIA,

Stroller.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 1:06:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:57:13 GMT, aprestn5 wrote:
> The 1P3000's print head has a 1600 nozzle print
> head while the iP4000 has 1856 nozzles (both 1200 dpi spacing). As you
> noted, the iP4000 also has the "photo black" dye cartridge in addition to
> the black pigment and cyan, yellow and magenta dye cartridges.

Yes - if you have more colors, you need extra nozzles for it, too:

1 color (mycb): 256 nozzles each
1 black: 832 nozzles!?

Regards
Martin
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 4:33:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article Stroller says...
> Are the iP4000's cartridge sets
> likely to be (much) more expensive..?
>
The ip4000 uses the same 4 carts as the 3000 plus an extra photo black.

> I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles
> built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is
FUBAR,

Epson

> but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that
> they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..?
>
HP printhead on cart. Canon replaceable printhead.
September 15, 2004 10:13:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

It is because they are made by Canon I WOULD buy one! I have printers by all
the major players,an would buy Canon over any of them,in most cases!I read
your last post and was just set to tell you to buy the ip3000!
"Stroller" <joe.stroller@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:bdbe3caa.0409150049.b2f5bac@posting.google.com...
> aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
news:<dcO1d.20774$KU5.17685@edtnps89>...
> > Stroller wrote:
> >
> > > Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
> > > Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
> > > since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
> > > while....
> >
> > ...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite
good,
> > (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
picked
> > to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon, I'd be
> > tempted to consider buying one...
>
> Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
> if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?
>
> TIA,
>
> Stroller.
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 1:37:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"aprestn5" <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
news:D cO1d.20774$KU5.17685@edtnps89...
> Stroller wrote:
>
>> Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
>> Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
>> since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
>> while. I'll probably get one for myself, test it on the Vigor's USB
>> port & recommend it for use on that setup if it works.
>>
>> The only differences I can see between the iP3000 & iP4000 are that the
>> iP4000 has the parallel port & 5-ink cartridges. Are there any others
>> I've missed..? I've never had an inkjet before, so I don't know that
>> I'll notice any quality differences. Are the iP4000's cartridge sets
>> likely to be (much) more expensive..?
>>
>> I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles
>> built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is
>> FUBAR, but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that
>> they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..?
>>
>> TIA for all advices,
>>
>> Stroller.
>
> Going by the Canon features & specifications sheets distributed to dealers
> recently, the iP4000 is also supposed to be slightly faster (25 ppm
> black/17 ppm colour) than the iP3000 (22 ppm/15ppm). Other than that, the
> specs are much the same . The 1P3000's print head has a 1600 nozzle print
> head while the iP4000 has 1856 nozzles (both 1200 dpi spacing). As you
> noted, the iP4000 also has the "photo black" dye cartridge in addition to
> the black pigment and cyan, yellow and magenta dye cartridges.
>
> I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
> (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand picked
> to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon, I'd be
> tempted to consider buying one...
>

I have seen just general prints (not hand picked) and they are *very* good!
Least expensive ink costs, good quality product, great warranty (next day
replacement), why would you not pick Canon
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 3:10:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article Martin Trautmann says...
> Yes - if you have more colors, you need extra nozzles for it, too:
>
> 1 color (mycb): 256 nozzles each
> 1 black: 832 nozzles!?
>
>
colours don't all have same number of nozzles
"Nozzle Text: Black: 320, Color: 512 x 2 (C, M), 256 x 2 (Y, Bk) Total
Nozzles: 1856"
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 3:10:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:10:42 +1200, colinco wrote:
> In article Martin Trautmann says...
> > Yes - if you have more colors, you need extra nozzles for it, too:
> >
> > 1 color (mycb): 256 nozzles each
> > 1 black: 832 nozzles!?
> >
> >
> colours don't all have same number of nozzles
> "Nozzle Text: Black: 320, Color: 512 x 2 (C, M), 256 x 2 (Y, Bk) Total
> Nozzles: 1856"

ah, thanks, I doubted that it was that many text-black.
Martin
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 9:12:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Stroller wrote:

> aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
> news:<dcO1d.20774$KU5.17685@edtnps89>...
>>
>> ...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite
>> good, (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
>> picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
>> I'd be tempted to consider buying one...
>
> Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
> if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?
> TIA,
>
> Stroller.

I didn't say -you- shouldn't consider one, just that _I_ wouldn't. My
concern with Canon is their limited driver availability; Canon provides
drivers only for Windows and Mac, and third party drivers for their
printers that I've come across tend not to support newer features.
Other brands fare much better in this regard.

Al
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 9:31:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

PC Medic wrote:

>
> "aprestn5" <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
> news:D cO1d.20774$KU5.17685@edtnps89...
>>
>> I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
>> (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
>> picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
>> I'd be tempted to consider buying one...
>>
>
> I have seen just general prints (not hand picked) and they are *very*
> good! Least expensive ink costs, good quality product, great warranty
> (next day replacement), why would you not pick Canon

They don't supply drivers for my OS, nor do they support development of
third party drivers. One or the other of those (or both) are available for
most other brands, particularly HP, Epson and, to some extent, Lexmark. If
Canon drivers were to become available, I would then consider buying one.

Al
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 12:59:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On 2004-09-16 06:12:25 +0100, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> said:

> Stroller wrote:
>
>> aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
>> news:<dcO1d.20774$KU5.17685@edtnps89>...
>>>
>>> ...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite
>>> good, (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
>>> picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
>>> I'd be tempted to consider buying one...
>>
>> Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
>> if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?
>> TIA,
>>
>> Stroller.
>
> I didn't say -you- shouldn't consider one, just that _I_ wouldn't. My
> concern with Canon is their limited driver availability; Canon provides
> drivers only for Windows and Mac, and third party drivers for their
> printers that I've come across tend not to support newer features.
> Other brands fare much better in this regard.

Cool. I don't print from Linux, but I have a networked postscript HP
LJ4 should I ever wish to do so. I've experienced the Global Macintosh
Driver Shortage in the past, so was rather pleased to see that Canon
covered these printers in that regard. I'll order one of these today.

Stroller.
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 10:45:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have the iP4000 and whilst I am only a 'point and click' Photo taker, I am
amazed at the quality of print I get from the printer. On Sunday last, I
printed 89 4' x 6' Glossy prints on Cartridge World 210gsm Glossy photo
paper and 12 A4 prints on Cartridge World 270gsm High Gloss Photo paper and
was 'gobsmacked by the results. The ink level monitor (although only an
approximation) still shows the cartridges to be full. The duplex systems
works perfectly too!

regards
Dave
"aprestn5" <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
news:zy92d.16156$yW6.3570@clgrps12...
> PC Medic wrote:
>
>>
>> "aprestn5" <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
>> news:D cO1d.20774$KU5.17685@edtnps89...
>>>
>>> I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
>>> (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
>>> picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
>>> I'd be tempted to consider buying one...
>>>
>>
>> I have seen just general prints (not hand picked) and they are *very*
>> good! Least expensive ink costs, good quality product, great warranty
>> (next day replacement), why would you not pick Canon
>
> They don't supply drivers for my OS, nor do they support development of
> third party drivers. One or the other of those (or both) are available for
> most other brands, particularly HP, Epson and, to some extent, Lexmark. If
> Canon drivers were to become available, I would then consider buying one.
>
> Al
September 19, 2004 4:39:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Does the IP3000 and 4000 still use separate ink tanks which are
refillable? Do they have a 'chip' in them like Epson? Does the 4000
allow printing on the surface of CDs/DVDs?
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 12:53:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Josh" <josh3010@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:6923e56d.0409182339.1c3f2fce@posting.google.com...
> Does the IP3000 and 4000 still use separate ink tanks which are
> refillable?

Yes,

Do they have a 'chip' in them like Epson?

No,

Does the 4000 allow printing on the surface of CDs/DVDs?

Yes,

regards
Dave
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 2:43:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

josh3010@hotmail.com (Josh) wrote in message news:<6923e56d.0409182339.1c3f2fce@posting.google.com>...
> Does the IP3000 and 4000 still use separate ink tanks which are
> refillable? Do they have a 'chip' in them like Epson? Does the 4000
> allow printing on the surface of CDs/DVDs?

As per the other reply - all the answers to this are the right ones!
Separate ink tanks, no chip (ink level is detected optically), and
cd-printing.

I have two wishes about this unit:
- that worked with the Netgear PS-121 printer server I bought to go
with it
- that I could get it to print CDs from Adobe apps on my Mac, instead
of having to use the bundled CD-printing application
but those are just nitpicks - I can't complain about this unit at all.
Undoubtedly, now that I've bought one, Canon will next week announce a
network model.

Bought mine from eBuyer, choosing their standard 3 - 4 day delivery
service, and it arrived the next day. :D 

Stroller.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 7:40:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Stick Stickus" <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:414d3af6$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
>
> "Josh" <josh3010@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:6923e56d.0409182339.1c3f2fce@posting.google.com...
>> Does the IP3000 and 4000 still use separate ink tanks which are
>> refillable?
>
> Yes,
>
> Do they have a 'chip' in them like Epson?
>
> No,
>
> Does the 4000 allow printing on the surface of CDs/DVDs?
>
> Yes,
>

Note that the CD/DVD printing feature is only available in select countries
due to licensing issues.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 8:52:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> Does the 4000 allow printing on the surface of CDs/DVDs?
>
> Yes,
>
> regards
> Dave
>
>

We need to qualify that answer: The North American models of the ip3000 and
ip4000 DO NOT allow for direct CD/DVD printing. The same was the case for
the i860 (North American) which did not vs the i865 (everywhere else) which
would print direct.

Cheers,

Jeff H
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:59:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Sorry to veer slightly off topic...

Can anyone who has one of these ip3000 printers tell me ...

Is there a paper cartridge for loading the paper at the back of the
printer unity ?

I see it mentioned in the documentation but mine did not include it.

It is a terrific printer. I used to have Epson color 740 and 760 and
this is so far ahead.

I also love the duplex double sided printing !!

--
Howard
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 12:50:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:59:32 +0100, Howard9 wrote:
> Is there a paper cartridge for loading the paper at the back of the
> printer unity ?

read the other postings:
it's on the front

> I see it mentioned in the documentation but mine did not include it.

Check once again

Regards
Martin
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 5:41:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <slrncl2f5s.qfl.t-use@ID-685.user.individual.de>, t-
use@gmx.net says...
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:59:32 +0100, Howard9 wrote:
> > Is there a paper cartridge for loading the paper at the back of the
> > printer unity ?
>
> read the other postings:
> it's on the front
>
> > I see it mentioned in the documentation but mine did not include it.
>
> Check once again
>
> Regards
> Martin
>
Martin - thanks for the comment but as I posted to the other thread I am
sitting in front of the printer now and this is not the case...

Could you have a look at the other thread please ? as I don't wish to
irritate regulars by continuing this one :) 

Thanks :) 
--
Howard
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 11:17:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Unfortunately penniless, I need a new printer that must be very cheap and
whose cartridges can be refilled without the risk of malfunction. Does
anyone have any info? Thanks to all.
Rico
September 25, 2004 12:46:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Groggy" <gbloro@tin.it> wrote in message news:<nY85d.387$85.19335@news3.tin.it>...
> Unfortunately penniless, I need a new printer that must be very cheap and
> whose cartridges can be refilled without the risk of malfunction. Does
> anyone have any info? Thanks to all.
> Rico

If you want very cheap, and don't need colour, get a dotmatrix. The
ribbons last for thousands of pages and cost a few dollars. The text
is sharp, a 24 pin can even do graphics (180 dpi). You can find these
free with little effort. However, they are slow and noisy.

Laser printers like HP4 and 5 can be bought in working order for $50.
Toner refills are much cheaper than ink per page. 600 dpi or better, 8
ppm or faster. If you want a smaller one, try the HP "P" (personal)
models; the "L"s (light) have problems (though the 4L is fine, the 5L
and 6L are subject to jams).
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:29:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Older Epson printers prior to the Intelledge cartridges fit this
request, as do newer Canon printers, which use the individual
cartridges. They are apparently very easy to refill.

Generic Epson cartridges (new, filled with ink) for the older workhorses
(640/740/800/850) sell on the internet very inexpensively.

Art

Groggy wrote:

> Unfortunately penniless, I need a new printer that must be very cheap and
> whose cartridges can be refilled without the risk of malfunction. Does
> anyone have any info? Thanks to all.
> Rico
>
>
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 10:15:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 09:29:31 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:

>newer Canon printers, which use the individual
>cartridges. They are apparently very easy to refill.

I can vouch for that. My Canon 560 is a breeze to fill compared with my previous
Epsons (600 and 480). The main diference being that with the epson, the entire
cartridge contains a sponge, so the ink has to be dribbled in slowly. And you
cant' see what you're doing too well either.
With the Canon, the cartrige is split about 60/40, with the 40% completely
empty. This is where you squirt the ink, as fast as you like. They are clear
plastic too, so it's esy to see what you're doing.

I guess the 560 doesn't fit in with the OP's 'very cheap' criteria, but cheaper
models may well have the same system.

--
Chris Pollard


CG Internet café, Tagum City, Philippines
http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 4:50:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Stick Stickus wrote : in a thread on the Canon IP4000 which he owns :

>> On Sunday last, I printed 89 4' x 6' Glossy prints on Cartridge
>> World 210gsm Glossy photo paper and 12 A4 prints on Cartridge World
>> 270gsm High Gloss Photo paper

>> The ink level monitor (although only an approximation) still shows
>> the cartridges to be full. The duplex systems works perfectly too!

Uhh ... that sounds like a fair amount of printing to me : wouldn't you
expect to see a noticeable decline in ink levels ? Sounds almost too
good to be true.

regards, J. Cod
!