WM2003 SE

August 17, 2004 5:26:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Is Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition available on iPAQ systems already?
Will HP and Microsoft release update for older models?

Is the update of, let's say iPAQ 5550 worthed or brings nothing new to the
old hardware?

As I understand now, the API is left unchanged hence Second Edition in the
original name, no WM 2004 for example.

TIA

More about : wm2003

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 5:26:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Nope. And Microsoft has already released SE, to the PPC OEM's.
It is up to the OEM of the PPC to roll out the SE upgrades.

HP dropped the current line of iPAQ's from production and is now
focusing on an entirely new line of iPAQ's equipped with 2003SE.
they are not providing the SE upgrade for the existing line iPAQ's.
Look here where SS style censors reign:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...

~S.

"modeleromy" <modeleromy_at@yaho0_dot.com> wrote in news:o RGL0SEhEHA.3320
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

What I forgot to mention was that HP's new line of iPAQ's IS
equipped with 2003SE, namely these models:

iPAQ rz1710, iPAQ rx3715, and the iPAQ hx4700 series have SE
factory installed in ROM.

You might want to compare these new models' specifications with
the "old" models' specifications.

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

> You might want to compare these new models' specifications with
> the "old" models' specifications.

I get the impression these are moving more and more towards portable
mediaplayers (given then name :) ) I love the 4150 though but would like SE
:(

David
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 5:26:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Along with the SE upgrade i'd also like to have full support back
on the current line of iPAQ's.. I feel deserted knowing my very
expensive iPAQ 5550 is only 6 months in my posession and already
considered "old", and the only update we get is WPA support.
WPA support is nice, but it doesn't weigh up to an OS upgrade &
decent product support.
it's ridiculous, HP is cutting into their own fingers and into
their customer's fingers.

~S.

"David Cleland" <davidcleland@hotmail.com> wrote in news:uPGLUjEhEHA.3348
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

> Along with the SE upgrade i'd also like to have full support back
> on the current line of iPAQ's.. I feel deserted knowing my very
> expensive iPAQ 5550 is only 6 months in my posession and already
> considered "old", and the only update we get is WPA support.
> WPA support is nice, but it doesn't weigh up to an OS upgrade &
> decent product support.
> it's ridiculous, HP is cutting into their own fingers and into
> their customer's fingers.

I totally agree, it is a way of not only forcing us to upgrade but it forces
the price down and makes me reluctant to buy again.

I bought a 4150 in Jan and it cost me £405, you can not pick them up for
£250 it is completely unreal it makes them valueless really. Unless you
replace it every sixth months you will always loose money OR be left behind
on features.

David
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 7:13:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

> I bought a 4150 in Jan and it cost me £405, you can not pick them up for
> £250 it is completely unreal it makes them valueless really. Unless you
> replace it every sixth months you will always loose money OR be left
> behind on features.

True. But few questions.

1. Is SE bringing new features or just update for new hardware features
(VGA, landscape, etc)
2. Does HP have a line of new SE based products (I cannot find them) that
can replace my iPAQ 5550 (BT, WiFi, biometrics)? All new iPAQs seem to be
more or less oriented towards other tasks then 5550 was.
3. Will HP release a business oriented iPAQ that has all 5550 has and VGA,
landscape, and more important built-in GSM/GPRS (sim location is designed in
5550 case, but no connection)
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 7:13:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

SE brings a few new features like an improved Pocket Internet Explorer +
Connection Manager which is supposedly going to make things a lot easier;
On the fly landscape/portrait mode switching, etc. and likely some bugs
from WM2003 were eliminated as well in SE. there's more articles in this
group that have the SE features listed.

As far as I know, the devices I mentioned are the new line of iPAQ's.
Biometrics have been scrapped and replaced with a touchpad with mouse
pointer on screen in the iPAQ hx4700, which is the closest to the 5550
as far as I can see. it has BT, WLAN and IR like the 5550, just no
Biometric scanner, less RAM and more ROM.
you can look at it here:
http://www.pdashop.nl/product/3430
it's in dutch, unfortunately. but there are other sites which have the
new models outlined as well.
the new models seem to be more oriented towards being a portable
media center rather than a serious personal/business PDA.
HP has not said anything about other models that would include advanced
security options like the Biometric scanner on the 5550.
There is however the iPAQ 6315, which has GSM capabilities but greatly
lacks in processing power and does not come with SE.

> True. But few questions.
>
> 1. Is SE bringing new features or just update for new hardware features
> (VGA, landscape, etc)
> 2. Does HP have a line of new SE based products (I cannot find them)
> that can replace my iPAQ 5550 (BT, WiFi, biometrics)? All new iPAQs seem
> to be more or less oriented towards other tasks then 5550 was.
> 3. Will HP release a business oriented iPAQ that has all 5550 has and
> VGA, landscape, and more important built-in GSM/GPRS (sim location is
> designed in 5550 case, but no connection)

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 8:21:39 PM

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> SE brings a few new features like an improved Pocket Internet Explorer +
> Connection Manager which is supposedly going to make things a lot easier;
> On the fly landscape/portrait mode switching, etc. and likely some bugs
> from WM2003 were eliminated as well in SE. there's more articles in this
> group that have the SE features listed.
>
> As far as I know, the devices I mentioned are the new line of iPAQ's.
> Biometrics have been scrapped and replaced with a touchpad with mouse
> pointer on screen in the iPAQ hx4700, which is the closest to the 5550
> as far as I can see. it has BT, WLAN and IR like the 5550, just no
> Biometric scanner, less RAM and more ROM.
> you can look at it here:
> http://www.pdashop.nl/product/3430
> it's in dutch, unfortunately. but there are other sites which have the
> new models outlined as well.
> the new models seem to be more oriented towards being a portable
> media center rather than a serious personal/business PDA.
> HP has not said anything about other models that would include advanced
> security options like the Biometric scanner on the 5550.
> There is however the iPAQ 6315, which has GSM capabilities but greatly
> lacks in processing power and does not come with SE.

My point exactly. Ugly... What about WM 2004? If WM 2003 is CE 4.21, which
one is CE 5.0?

Thanks!
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 8:21:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Well, unless I missed something, there is no WM2004/CE 5.0. yet.

news:o Hnok0FhEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

"David Cleland" <davidcleland@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o V3w%23CFhEHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> > Along with the SE upgrade i'd also like to have full support back
> > on the current line of iPAQ's.. I feel deserted knowing my very
> > expensive iPAQ 5550 is only 6 months in my posession and already
> > considered "old", and the only update we get is WPA support.
> > WPA support is nice, but it doesn't weigh up to an OS upgrade &
> > decent product support.
> > it's ridiculous, HP is cutting into their own fingers and into
> > their customer's fingers.
>
> I totally agree, it is a way of not only forcing us to upgrade but it
forces
> the price down and makes me reluctant to buy again.
>
> I bought a 4150 in Jan and it cost me £405, you can not pick them up for
> £250 it is completely unreal it makes them valueless really. Unless you
> replace it every sixth months you will always loose money OR be left
behind
> on features.
>
> David

You need to consider the value of the machine in what it does for you- that
hasn't changed.
There are lots of things lose some monetary value when new models come out,
like cars. It also doesn't change it's actual worth to you- it also doesn't
suddenly lose some of the things it could do.
You are being too money-minded not machine-minded. The machine hasn't
suddenly lost any abilities it had when you bought it, so if you think it is
now lacking look at your self- *you* chose it as being suitable. If you
bought it as a long term money based investment you seem to be choosing the
wrong type of investment.
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 8:54:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in

> If you bought it as a long term money based investment you seem to be
> choosing the wrong type of investment.

This is where I feel you are wrong. If people buy a $600+ PDA
it is highly unacceptable that it only has 1 year running life
with the company that built it. For comparison i'll tell you
why I chose to invest for the long term:

1. The money goes into the device
2. Two years of factory warranty
3. Another 3 years of extended warranty
4. A Cover Pack sleeve with screenshield
5. A Brando screen protector
6. 90 days of technical support from HP
7. 5 Business day Pick up & Return service
8. Plans to extend the functions in the near future
with sleeves and SD/CF/PCMCIA cards, cables and
other accessories
9. That point 2 and 3 will guarantee me that I WILL
get my device repaired or replaced when it fails
for whatever reason due to hardware/software faillure
10. Future battery/cable/cradle replacements
can you think of any other reasons?

There's some points outlined on Silicon Valley Pocket PC
http://thoughts.svpocketpc.com#THOUGHT_IPAQ_WM2003SE_UP...
that you might want to read if you didn't already.

Warning! Rant below:

But; in essence.
You're right, the machine doesn't lose the functions it came
with when the 2003SE upgrade saw the light, it still does it's
job like it said on the box it came in. But SE offers some
enhancements to those functions that many people have been
waiting for for a long time, like font scaling. or landscape view
without having to soft reset every time you switch, an improved
PIE's new single column mode, an improved connection manager,
are things people want in Windows Mobile. HP effectively denies
people these benefits for their practically new PPC's along with
dropping support to a level that can't even be called inferior, it's
simply not there anymore.
So while SE doesn't cripple the PPC you already have in your
hands, it does cripple your faith in the company and it's support.
I personally find it disgusting that they gladly receive your hard
earned money, but refuse to give you anything in return that is even
remotely worthy of being called 'Support'. Handing out a small tweak in
a driver set that allows for proper WPA support and then letting the
devices go for good doesn't cut it with me.
I also bought this machine with eye on the future, And I spent weeks
trying and waiting, blood sweat and tears and a load of money to get my
hands on my iPAQ because simply it was the best of the batch, it had the
best support available out of other brands and the most options for
expansion available whenever I wanted it. I expected at least -one-
upgrade because that was their reputation, and I most certainly want ALL
of my 5 years worth of extended warranty and not a "I'm sorry sir. but
this device was discontinued, we can no longer offer support for it
because we deem it inappropriate for reasons we shall not share with you,
and if you try to speak up about or ask questions that we feel are
hitting a little too close to base, we'll be forced to muzzle you."

For me SE is not as much an OS upgrade, it's also a bugfix. it fixes
things that should have been addressed BEFORE WM2003 was distributed.
period. HP should have the decency to support their customers instead
of spreading lies through HP Rep's and denying the utterly obvious.
So if that makes me money minded too, i'm sorry. I spent a lot on my 5550
and I expect it to be supported longer than 6 months after purchase.
my company will also want the same thing from HP, after the thousands they
spend a month ago on their 'value added' and 'innovative' equipment.

$0.002 (no, not a typo)

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

ACE!!! wrote:

> Nope. And Microsoft has already released SE, to the PPC OEM's.
> It is up to the OEM of the PPC to roll out the SE upgrades.
>
> HP dropped the current line of iPAQ's from production and is now
> focusing on an entirely new line of iPAQ's equipped with 2003SE.
> they are not providing the SE upgrade for the existing line iPAQ's.
> Look here where SS style censors reign:
> http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...

anyone found a ROM update i can use? Cant see anything on file sharing
networks.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

What device? What connection type? What OS is the computer with
the shared folders running? Is NETBIOS enabled? are the folders
properly shared, are you using passwords on the shares?

~S.

Marc <see@signature.url> wrote in news:1092767239.19690.1
@dyke.uk.clara.net:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Hope you find one. You will most certainly brick your PPC. Regardless of
how simple the pundits want to believe it is, you cannot take what MS
released to the OEMs and flash a 2002 box and have it work. There are OEM
additions that must be added. If they are not developed, they do not exist.
Yea there was a preliminary SE update for the 2200 flashed at a developer
event. Read up on it before you decide you want it.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> ACE!!! wrote:
>
> > Nope. And Microsoft has already released SE, to the PPC OEM's.
> > It is up to the OEM of the PPC to roll out the SE upgrades.
> >
> > HP dropped the current line of iPAQ's from production and is now
> > focusing on an entirely new line of iPAQ's equipped with 2003SE.
> > they are not providing the SE upgrade for the existing line iPAQ's.
> > Look here where SS style censors reign:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...

> anyone found a ROM update i can use? Cant see anything on file sharing
> networks.
>

> --
> Marc
> See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 5:21:31 AM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 06:11:50 -0700, ACE!!! wrote:

> SE brings a few new features like an improved Pocket Internet Explorer +
> Connection Manager which is supposedly going to make things a lot easier;
> On the fly landscape/portrait mode switching, etc. and likely some bugs
> from WM2003 were eliminated as well in SE. there's more articles in this
> group that have the SE features listed.

The improved IE was the only reason I wanted SE, but let's face it, it's
not going to make browsing web pages suddenly wonderful on the tiny screen.

There aren't any new APIs we're going to be missing out on. I think the
eyecandy is slightly more modern, that would also be nice. But the
connectivity in WM2003 is already modern enough, I am not crying over
missing out.

An ipaq is never going to be a good web browsing machine, or really
useful as an email machine. It is only useful for custom apps.

I have written several custom apps that make the machine useful, and I
scratch a bit of text or two into a note. I wrote my own sync app using
PocketOutlook to populate the Contacts, Appointments, Tasks from my own
home-brewed Linux PIM, but I mostly just read the info on the PPC, not
enter it.

So in short I don't think we're losing out too drastically with SE. It's
like going from 95 to 98 to 98SE to Me, all you're really missing out on
is bloat. Consider yourself fortunate to have a bit more space on the
device for your data, SE is probably more bloated than it is better.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 5:21:32 AM

"Saint Stephen" <saint@stephen.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.18.01.21.38.693210@stephen.com...
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 06:11:50 -0700, ACE!!! wrote:
>
> > SE brings a few new features like an improved Pocket Internet Explorer +
> > Connection Manager which is supposedly going to make things a lot
easier;
> > On the fly landscape/portrait mode switching, etc. and likely some bugs
> > from WM2003 were eliminated as well in SE. there's more articles in this
> > group that have the SE features listed.
>
> The improved IE was the only reason I wanted SE, but let's face it, it's
> not going to make browsing web pages suddenly wonderful on the tiny
screen.

> There aren't any new APIs we're going to be missing out on. I think the
> eyecandy is slightly more modern, that would also be nice. But the
> connectivity in WM2003 is already modern enough, I am not crying over
> missing out.
>
> An ipaq is never going to be a good web browsing machine, or really
> useful as an email machine. It is only useful for custom apps.
>
> I have written several custom apps that make the machine useful, and I
> scratch a bit of text or two into a note. I wrote my own sync app using
> PocketOutlook to populate the Contacts, Appointments, Tasks from my own
> home-brewed Linux PIM, but I mostly just read the info on the PPC, not
> enter it.
>
> So in short I don't think we're losing out too drastically with SE. It's
> like going from 95 to 98 to 98SE to Me, all you're really missing out on
> is bloat. Consider yourself fortunate to have a bit more space on the
> device for your data, SE is probably more bloated than it is better.

See, there's a silver lining in every cloud ;)

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Ofcourse, the current iPAQ's still work as advertised.. it's just the
fact that those very iPAQ's are still sold for full price, without a
note saying "This product is no longer manufactured."
In essence.. people who bought an iPAQ in the past 6 months have simply
been funding HP's 2003SE iPAQ project.

~S.

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in

> See, there's a silver lining in every cloud ;)

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 12:13:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Reports are it's a one-way-trip.

One alpha tester reported he had to replace his system board to roll back
after HP canned the project, and HP wanted to charge him for the priveledge.
They're sliding fast over there.

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hope you find one. You will most certainly brick your PPC. Regardless of
> how simple the pundits want to believe it is, you cannot take what MS
> released to the OEMs and flash a 2002 box and have it work. There are OEM
> additions that must be added. If they are not developed, they do not
exist.
> Yea there was a preliminary SE update for the 2200 flashed at a developer
> event. Read up on it before you decide you want it.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> > ACE!!! wrote:
> >
> > > Nope. And Microsoft has already released SE, to the PPC OEM's.
> > > It is up to the OEM of the PPC to roll out the SE upgrades.
> > >
> > > HP dropped the current line of iPAQ's from production and is now
> > > focusing on an entirely new line of iPAQ's equipped with 2003SE.
> > > they are not providing the SE upgrade for the existing line iPAQ's.
> > > Look here where SS style censors reign:
> > >
> http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
> >
> > anyone found a ROM update i can use? Cant see anything on file sharing
> > networks.
> >

> > --
> > Marc
> > See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 1:36:29 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:47:43 -0700, ACE!!! wrote:

> Ofcourse, the current iPAQ's still work as advertised.. it's just the
> fact that those very iPAQ's are still sold for full price, without a
> note saying "This product is no longer manufactured."
> In essence.. people who bought an iPAQ in the past 6 months have simply
> been funding HP's 2003SE iPAQ project.

Yeah, I bought mine in June -- 4355. Spent a lot of bread on it. But I
have extremely low expectations for the PocketPC as a platform. The
device can only do so much. I don't think a point rev of the OS is going
to suddenly open wide new vista -- although of course I wish it was
upgradeable. The screen is so tiny, only very fixed-function apps are
useful on it. The rest of it, like SSHing into my house and using hte
built in-keyboard to read my email on my Linux host, is just a toy. Mess
with it once or twice and then stop. The PPC as a platform is only really
useful for custom fixed-function apps, highly tweaked to your own needs.
Generic apps are just toys on the PPC.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 1:36:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Well.. I didn't buy it to be a toy, I bought it to help organize my
life, keep some personal stuff and to use it as a serious business tool.
Despite it's size it is still a portable computer and I prefer it over
lugging around a laptop all over the place when i'm working. Don't have
a car, i'm a biker. so a second bag with an additional 4kg worth of
laptop is not favorable ;)
It will serve it's life. it'll just be harder to keep it maintenanced.

~S.

Saint Stephen <saint@stephen.com> wrote in
news:p an.2004.08.18.09.36.37.111912@stephen.com:

> Yeah, I bought mine in June -- 4355. Spent a lot of bread on it. But I
> have extremely low expectations for the PocketPC as a platform. The
> device can only do so much. I don't think a point rev of the OS is
> going to suddenly open wide new vista -- although of course I wish it
> was upgradeable. The screen is so tiny, only very fixed-function apps
> are useful on it. The rest of it, like SSHing into my house and using
> hte built in-keyboard to read my email on my Linux host, is just a toy.
> Mess with it once or twice and then stop. The PPC as a platform is only
> really useful for custom fixed-function apps, highly tweaked to your own
> needs. Generic apps are just toys on the PPC.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 9:19:12 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 04:55:41 -0700, ACE!!! wrote:

> Well.. I didn't buy it to be a toy, I bought it to help organize my
> life, keep some personal stuff and to use it as a serious business tool.

Me too, and I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I find the built-in apps and
Outlook utterly useless for keeping track of my life. Well, Contacts,
Appointments, and Tasks are kinda sorta like things I track -- but I have
my own home-brewed PIM (really a fast little database) in Linux with a
custom sync app.

For instance, I have a curl script which downloads the books I have due at
the library, and creates appointments / tasks for reminders when they are
due. My PIM also tracks when I paid bills and when bills are due, so
things get created as well.

I resisted using a PIM and Outlook because of the impedence mismatch to my
life. I'm a programmer, not a salesmen, and I was always a square peg
using a round hole with Outlook. But, I wrote a custom sync app in C#
that syncs over bluetooth with my Linux database, and it's useful to me.

Basically nothing Microsoft writes helps me speed up my life, I'm always
fighting the app more than managing my life. All I use on the PPC are
custom apps.
August 18, 2004 11:00:58 PM

Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
> Hope you find one. You will most certainly brick your PPC.

Why do you hope that I brick my PPC? :-o

> Regardless of
> how simple the pundits want to believe it is, you cannot take what MS
> released to the OEMs and flash a 2002 box and have it work. There are OEM
> additions that must be added. If they are not developed, they do not exist.
> Yea there was a preliminary SE update for the 2200 flashed at a developer
> event. Read up on it before you decide you want it.

Well, I've installed Linux on the ROM and gone back to Windows Mobile by
reinstalling the HP ROM update. That's the point of these gadgets isn't
it? To play with, and try new stuff? That's how I learnt new things
about my PC. But thanks for the warning, I've yet to find any ROM
anyway. Most updates for other devices will have software that detacts
your device when it installs, can't find any "standard" ROM like you get
standard (non OEM) versions of other Microsoft OS, such as win2k.

Oh well, I'm covered for accidental damage :)  \o_
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 11:00:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

I realize that each of you make a valid point. What you need to realize is
even though we have been playing with this technology for years, commerical
mobility is just now coming into fruition. The Windows Mobile platform will
enable us to create a truly mobile solution leveraging the Office System and
extending to Office Servers including SharePoint, LCS, etc. The technology
is almost here, it is a matter of patience at this point.

I run into these conversations all of the time with RIM fans and it kills me
to see someone with a phone and a RIM device, just annoying. We're getting
there and it's up to us to keep pushing forward. My goal is for a Mobile
SharePoint and LCS solution so that you are truly connected.

In the meantime, you can create your own apps using the appropriate APIs
with CE.NET and modifiying the registry with your own tweaks.

That is my two cents worth:

Joe Schurman
Connected Innovation
Microsoft Gulf Coast District

"Marc" wrote:

> Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
> > Hope you find one. You will most certainly brick your PPC.
>
> Why do you hope that I brick my PPC? :-o
>

> > Regardless of
> > how simple the pundits want to believe it is, you cannot take what MS
> > released to the OEMs and flash a 2002 box and have it work. There are OEM
> > additions that must be added. If they are not developed, they do not exist.
> > Yea there was a preliminary SE update for the 2200 flashed at a developer
> > event. Read up on it before you decide you want it.
>
> Well, I've installed Linux on the ROM and gone back to Windows Mobile by
> reinstalling the HP ROM update. That's the point of these gadgets isn't
> it? To play with, and try new stuff? That's how I learnt new things
> about my PC. But thanks for the warning, I've yet to find any ROM
> anyway. Most updates for other devices will have software that detacts
> your device when it installs, can't find any "standard" ROM like you get
> standard (non OEM) versions of other Microsoft OS, such as win2k.
>
> Oh well, I'm covered for accidental damage :)  \o_

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 1:06:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

Didn't really mean it quite that way. Those that are looking for a free
solution 'on the file sharing networks', to what is a commercial product
deserve whatever they get IMHO. I realize that it we are not being offered
the opportunity to buy it, which I am sure you would if it were, but that is
not a reason to obtain it illegally.

--
> Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
> > Hope you find one. You will most certainly brick your PPC.
>
> Why do you hope that I brick my PPC? :-o

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 5:36:56 AM

"modeleromy" <modeleromy_at@yaho0_dot.com> wrote in message news:<ORGL0SEhEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Is Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition available on iPAQ systems already?
> Will HP and Microsoft release update for older models?
>
> Is the update of, let's say iPAQ 5550 worthed or brings nothing new to the
> old hardware?
>
> As I understand now, the API is left unchanged hence Second Edition in the
> original name, no WM 2004 for example.
>
> TIA

I have found following message on the net:
http://www.jakeludington.com/wwjd/
excerpt:
August 11, 2004
iPAQ Reloaded
My iPAQ 4155 gave me a nasty scare tonight. HP released a new ROM
version on August 2, which updates the software to Windows Mobile 2003
SE and fixes some minor issues with the previous ROM version. This
sounded like a good idea considering the updates to Windows Media
Player included in the update.

Does it mean SE Update for current ipaqs (221x, etc.) exist?
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 5:46:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer (More info?)

I think you'll find the answer is No, it doesn't. HP has dropped the
current line of iPAQ's from production and will NOT release 2003SE
to these devices either. Only the new series come with SE.

Look on HP's download page for the h4155 and you'll see there is
no SE upgrade there. whatever the writer of that page did, it
certainly was not the SE upgrade.
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us...
5919.html

~S.

On 24 aug 2004, you wrote in microsoft.public.pocketpc:

> I have found following message on the net:
> http://www.jakeludington.com/wwjd/
> excerpt:
> August 11, 2004
> iPAQ Reloaded
> My iPAQ 4155 gave me a nasty scare tonight. HP released a new ROM
> version on August 2, which updates the software to Windows Mobile 2003
> SE and fixes some minor issues with the previous ROM version. This
> sounded like a good idea considering the updates to Windows Media
> Player included in the update.
>
> Does it mean SE Update for current ipaqs (221x, etc.) exist?

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
9708 Total Signatures on Saturday, Aug. 21st 2004!
HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:33:43 AM

"Alexander Prokopyev" <sanyock@mail.ru> wrote in message

> Does it mean SE Update for current ipaqs (221x, etc.) exist?

Did you look at the makers website?
Did you email them?
!