ENABLE OR DISABLE?

In "services.msc" there are about 77 services.. Out of
these, which services must *must* be kept enabled OR
which can be kept disabled to enhance/improve the system
performance?? Can anyone please take his time to name
those services(either enabled group or disabled group)???
N.B:-- Mine is a personal desktop pc(dual boot with ME &
XP)..I dont have any LAN or network connections....I've
dial up internet through internal modem..I use my pc
mainly for multimedia..

Please advice.. Regards, Rahul..

Byte

You'll need all of them, some are automatic some are manual, which means
they'll activate when XP needs it. All your settings are presently as default.
Changing the settings could crash your PC.
--
I am no expert, but I did stay at the
Holiday Inn last night.

"RDG" wrote:

> In "services.msc" there are about 77 services.. Out of
> these, which services must *must* be kept enabled OR
> which can be kept disabled to enhance/improve the system
> performance?? Can anyone please take his time to name
> those services(either enabled group or disabled group)???
> N.B:-- Mine is a personal desktop pc(dual boot with ME &
> XP)..I dont have any LAN or network connections....I've
> dial up internet through internal modem..I use my pc
> mainly for multimedia..
>
> Please advice.. Regards, Rahul..

On how many different newsgroups are you going to post this question?
First, you don't need to post separately, you can crosspost but do so only
to appropriate newsgroups and second, you have responses in almost every
group to which you've posted this question, please read them.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

RDG wrote:

> In "services.msc" there are about 77 services.. Out of
> these, which services must *must* be kept enabled OR
> which can be kept disabled to enhance/improve the system
> performance?? Can anyone please take his time to name
> those services(either enabled group or disabled group)???
> N.B:-- Mine is a personal desktop pc(dual boot with ME &
> XP)..I dont have any LAN or network connections....I've
> dial up internet through internal modem..I use my pc
> mainly for multimedia..
>
> Please advice.. Regards, Rahul..
Everything you need to know and then some:

gls858

Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) wrote:

> On how many different newsgroups are you going to post this question?
> First, you don't need to post separately, you can crosspost but do so only
> to appropriate newsgroups and second, you have responses in almost every
> group to which you've posted this question, please read them.

this appears to be the same person that multi-posted the
HUGE AUTO SPACE CONSUMPTION thread. I didn't check the headers
but the style is consistent and the initials match

gls858

Certainly looks like a pattern.:0(

--

RDG wrote:

> In "services.msc" there are about 77 services.. Out of
> these, which services must *must* be kept enabled OR
> which can be kept disabled to enhance/improve the system
> performance?? Can anyone please take his time to name
> those services(either enabled group or disabled group)???
> N.B:-- Mine is a personal desktop pc(dual boot with ME &
> XP)..I dont have any LAN or network connections....I've
> dial up internet through internal modem..I use my pc
> mainly for multimedia..
>
> Please advice.. Regards, Rahul..
Maybe this will help

how to crosspost

gls858

Now, we'll see the same post on every group and 4000 groups in the
header.<LOL>

--

> RDG wrote:
>
>> In "services.msc" there are about 77 services.. Out of these, which
>> services must *must* be kept enabled OR which can be kept disabled to
>> enhance/improve the system performance?? Can anyone please take his time
>> to name those services(either enabled group or disabled group)???
>> N.B:-- Mine is a personal desktop pc(dual boot with ME & XP)..I dont have
>> any LAN or network connections....I've dial up internet through internal
>> modem..I use my pc mainly for multimedia..
>>
>> Please advice.. Regards, Rahul..
> Maybe this will help
>
> how to crosspost
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html
>
> gls858

Rahul,

It's not quite that simple but here's a site that may help. You may have
some services running that do not show up on this list simply because they
were installed by some application. Read before making changes.

Bob S.

"RDG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> In "services.msc" there are about 77 services.. Out of
> these, which services must *must* be kept enabled OR
> which can be kept disabled to enhance/improve the system
> performance?? Can anyone please take his time to name
> those services(either enabled group or disabled group)???
> N.B:-- Mine is a personal desktop pc(dual boot with ME &
> XP)..I dont have any LAN or network connections....I've
> dial up internet through internal modem..I use my pc
> mainly for multimedia..
>
> Please advice.. Regards, Rahul..

Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) wrote:

> Now, we'll see the same post on every group and 4000 groups in the
> header.<LOL>

LOL You really think someone like this will read it?

gls858

LOL, I don't know, this is just speculation on a worst case scenario!

--

> Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) wrote:
>
>> Now, we'll see the same post on every group and 4000 groups in the
>> header.<LOL>
>>

> LOL You really think someone like this will read it?
>
> gls858

No, you do not need all of them.

Bob S. gave a link to a reputable site
(http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) which answers the question.

--
Paul Cyr

-----

The Debate Continues... www.xvsxp.com

Protect Yourself and Others...
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/
-----

"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You'll need all of them, some are automatic some are manual, which means
> they'll activate when XP needs it. All your settings are presently as
> default.
> Changing the settings could crash your PC.
> --
> I am no expert, but I did stay at the
> Holiday Inn last night.
>

> "RDG" wrote:
>

>> In "services.msc" there are about 77 services.. Out of
>> these, which services must *must* be kept enabled OR
>> which can be kept disabled to enhance/improve the system
>> performance?? Can anyone please take his time to name
>> those services(either enabled group or disabled group)???
>> N.B:-- Mine is a personal desktop pc(dual boot with ME &
>> XP)..I dont have any LAN or network connections....I've
>> dial up internet through internal modem..I use my pc
>> mainly for multimedia..
>>
>> Please advice.. Regards, Rahul..

He is now posting in WinME general and system tools <g>
Joan

gls858 wrote:
> Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User) wrote:
>
>> On how many different newsgroups are you going to post this question?
>> First, you don't need to post separately, you can crosspost but do
>> so only to appropriate newsgroups and second, you have responses in
>> almost every group to which you've posted this question, please read
>> them.
>>
> this appears to be the same person that multi-posted the
> HUGE AUTO SPACE CONSUMPTION thread. I didn't check the headers
> but the style is consistent and the initials match
>
> gls858

LOL, I guess it's true, if you keep digging that hole, eventually you'll get
to China.

--

Go here: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
--