reboots/shutdowns and Norton?

I have a compaq that is shutting down as if the power is turned off. It
goes into a reboot. Sometimes it will reboot aftet 30 minutes or after 3
seconds of use. I cleaned out my tower checked fans ect. I read that there
is a trojan that is masked as a norton utility that causes it to reboot
automaticly. How can I stop this? Should I uninstall norton and go with
someone else? If I go with an external drive to back up my data will I
transfer over these problems to a new computer? Sorrry for the quick type
and rambling but I need to be quick before It happens again.

Dean

Maybe it's shutdown into standby or hibernate mode. Is your modem/LAN set
(may even be in your BIOS) to wake-up on an active signal?

USB or other ACPI devices connected?

Check your Power Options in Control Panel.

See also "The Universal Serial Bus (USB) Wakeup Device Is Unable to Awaken
Computer from Hibernation" for some insight and pointers.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;200583

Mart