keyboard not present error

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
December 9, 2004 12:28:24 PM

hi all
just got a machine in that only works with usb k/board
at first i thought that there would be a setting in bios to enable ps2
or an auto keyboard setting.... looked for a keyboard setup and none
could be found.....gigabyte 7s748 with an athlon 2600 / winxp

i have setup a lot of 7s748's [not this one thankfully] and never a
problem.....when i connect a ps2 and boot i get the keyboard not
present error ........the machine had a real cheesy viewmaster usb kb
with several keys in the numpad stuck in the on position...dunno
whether this could be related

i am assuming the ps2 connector has been trashed....
any one disagree with that diagnosis???
relloman
relloman

More about : keyboard present error

December 9, 2004 4:52:50 PM

rello wrote:
> hi all
> just got a machine in that only works with usb k/board
> at first i thought that there would be a setting in bios to enable ps2
> or an auto keyboard setting.... looked for a keyboard setup and none
> could be found.....gigabyte 7s748 with an athlon 2600 / winxp
>
> i have setup a lot of 7s748's [not this one thankfully] and never a
> problem.....when i connect a ps2 and boot i get the keyboard not
> present error ........the machine had a real cheesy viewmaster usb kb
> with several keys in the numpad stuck in the on position...dunno
> whether this could be related
>
> i am assuming the ps2 connector has been trashed....
> any one disagree with that diagnosis???
> relloman
> relloman

I did not see where you had tried another PS2 keyboard. If you have
not done that, that is the first thing you should try. Although the PS2
connector could be your problem, make sure you have your keyboard
plugged into the Keyboard connector and not the mouse connector. (Since
you say you have set up many of these MBs, I am assuming this does not
apply) Also, many MBs have a fuse or coils in the circuitry from the
keyboard connector. Obviously if one of these were open, your keyboard
would fail.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 12, 2004 2:13:08 PM

> I did not see where you had tried another PS2 keyboard. If you have
>not done that, that is the first thing you should try. Although the PS2
>connector could be your problem, make sure you have your keyboard
>plugged into the Keyboard connector and not the mouse connector. (Since
>you say you have set up many of these MBs, I am assuming this does not
>apply) Also, many MBs have a fuse or coils in the circuitry from the
>keyboard connector. Obviously if one of these were open, your keyboard
>would fail.
Can the fuse in the circuitry be replaced if it is blown out?

A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2004 4:15:44 AM

Glenn M wrote:

> Can the fuse in the circuitry be replaced if it is blown out?

Not sure about these days, but I did it on an Asus about 9 years ago.
December 14, 2004 6:56:07 PM

Glenn M wrote:
>> I did not see where you had tried another PS2 keyboard. If you have
>>not done that, that is the first thing you should try. Although the PS2
>>connector could be your problem, make sure you have your keyboard
>>plugged into the Keyboard connector and not the mouse connector. (Since
>>you say you have set up many of these MBs, I am assuming this does not
>>apply) Also, many MBs have a fuse or coils in the circuitry from the
>>keyboard connector. Obviously if one of these were open, your keyboard
>>would fail.
>
> Can the fuse in the circuitry be replaced if it is blown out?
>

> A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

If the fuse on the MB is blown, it can be replaced but it is not likely
in a holder. You will first need to find it and then will probably need
to solder it in. Many are in the form of other pigtail devices such as
low wattage resistors. Most of the time the +5 volts of the PS goes
directly to the keyboard connector through such a fuse.
!