Upgraded to XP

Thank you to everyone who helped me previously on this forum. I took the
plunge and reformatted my hard drive. No more Windows Me. No dual booting.
Clean install of XP Pro as NTFS. Wish me luck because I don't know much
about XP and this is a challenge. I can't find anything! The interface is
completely different, and so are the options. I wonder what changes I make
as administrator will still be there when I sign on with less privileges.

Believe it or not, the home network works between my XP machine and the
WinMe computer in the other room, at least to some extent. We can both
access the DSL modem (router), and I can access his files but he can't
access mine because my drive is NTFS. When I hook up my second hard drive
(FAT32), I hope he'll be able to access those files. I have not set up any
user accounts on his machine, and I don't know if I need to do so or not. I
did set him up as a user on this machine and made an XP network setup disk
that was run on his machine.

I have not figured out how to hook up the Win95a laptop yet because the XP
networking wizard doesn't support Win95. (It is for Win98 and higher.) The
Win98se laptop has not been hooked up either. I'll be visiting the XP forums
more often now. This Me forum will still be helpful for configuring the
networked Me machine and for any additional problems that occur.
2 answers Last reply
More about upgraded

    Not being able to access your NTFS HD has noting to do with the filesystem -
    and a lot to do with Windows XP networking
    You need to enable Simple FileSharing on the XP machine for the ME machine
    to be able to see the XP HD.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you to everyone who helped me previously on this forum. I took the
    > plunge and reformatted my hard drive. No more Windows Me. No dual booting.
    > Clean install of XP Pro as NTFS. Wish me luck because I don't know much
    > about XP and this is a challenge. I can't find anything! The interface is
    > completely different, and so are the options. I wonder what changes I make
    > as administrator will still be there when I sign on with less privileges.
    >
    > Believe it or not, the home network works between my XP machine and the
    > WinMe computer in the other room, at least to some extent. We can both
    > access the DSL modem (router), and I can access his files but he can't
    > access mine because my drive is NTFS. When I hook up my second hard drive
    > (FAT32), I hope he'll be able to access those files. I have not set up any
    > user accounts on his machine, and I don't know if I need to do so or not.
    > did set him up as a user on this machine and made an XP network setup
    > disk
    > that was run on his machine.
    >
    > I have not figured out how to hook up the Win95a laptop yet because the XP
    > networking wizard doesn't support Win95. (It is for Win98 and higher.) The
    > Win98se laptop has not been hooked up either. I'll be visiting the XP
    > forums
    > more often now. This Me forum will still be helpful for configuring the
    > networked Me machine and for any additional problems that occur.

    > I can access his files but he
    > can't access mine because my drive is NTFS.

    I'm sorry but that is incorrect. The filing system in use on a remote PC
    such as that running XP is irrelevant to the host PC, that is the one
    running Win Me since all file handling on the remote computer is handled
    by the remote computer. For example a vast amount of the pages you read
    on the web are hosted on machines running a variation of the Unix
    operating system. If the Win Me PC cannot access files on the PC running
    XP this could be for any of a number of reasons including not having
    configured sharing correctly and not having XP's firewall configured to
    allow the Win Me PC to access the XP PC, etc.

    I wish you the best of luck with your new system. I'm sure you'll get the
    hang of it soon. There is absolutely no need to run the XP network wizard
    on any PC other than that running XP. For example run the Win Me
    networking wizard on the Win Me PC.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    ForestSpirit <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Thank you to everyone who helped me previously on this forum. I took
    > the plunge and reformatted my hard drive. No more Windows Me. No dual
    > booting. Clean install of XP Pro as NTFS. Wish me luck because I
    > don't know much about XP and this is a challenge. I can't find
    > anything! The interface is completely different, and so are the
    > options. I wonder what changes I make as administrator will still be
    > there when I sign on with less privileges.
    >
    > Believe it or not, the home network works between my XP machine and
    > the WinMe computer in the other room, at least to some extent. We can
    > both access the DSL modem (router), and I can access his files but he
    > can't access mine because my drive is NTFS. When I hook up my second
    > hard drive (FAT32), I hope he'll be able to access those files. I
    > have not set up any user accounts on his machine, and I don't know if
    > I need to do so or not. I did set him up as a user on this machine
    > and made an XP network setup disk that was run on his machine.
    >
    > I have not figured out how to hook up the Win95a laptop yet because
    > the XP networking wizard doesn't support Win95. (It is for Win98 and
    > higher.) The Win98se laptop has not been hooked up either. I'll be
    > visiting the XP forums more often now. This Me forum will still be
    > helpful for configuring the networked Me machine and for any
    > additional problems that occur.

Windows XP Windows