Unable to remove theme; any similar command to services.msc

Hello,

I'm helping a friend with their HP Pavilion 6830 computer running Win. ME.

After a long day we were able to finally get rid of the malware, restore
security program functions, etc. and download all Windows updates & security
updates.

Two problems remain:

The first is in shutdown "hanging", however, I've noted the links you have
given to other posts of that nature and I'll work through them to resolve
that matter.

Secondly, somehow a theme was applied which my friend wants to disable and
have just the basic desktop function. I've been unable to find any way to
change it back to a "normal" Windows desktop. I've tried going through
"Control Panel", "Themes" and regardless of what I do most or all of the
previous theme still remains in effect.

I had hoped to simply disable the theme services through services.msc
however that doesn't function in ME apparently (I'm unfamiliar with ME).

Is there a way to access the OS services and manually disable themes? Or any
other suggestion you might have for accomplishing the same thing?

Thank you for any help at all !

Robert

"RPA" <xxscoongexx10xxremovexs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm helping a friend with their HP Pavilion 6830 computer running Win. ME.
>
> After a long day we were able to finally get rid of the malware, restore
> security program functions, etc. and download all Windows updates &
security
> updates.
>
> Two problems remain:
>
> The first is in shutdown "hanging", however, I've noted the links you have
> given to other posts of that nature and I'll work through them to resolve
> that matter.
>
> Secondly, somehow a theme was applied which my friend wants to disable and
> have just the basic desktop function. I've been unable to find any way to
> change it back to a "normal" Windows desktop. I've tried going through
> "Control Panel", "Themes" and regardless of what I do most or all of the
> previous theme still remains in effect.
>
> I had hoped to simply disable the theme services through services.msc
> however that doesn't function in ME apparently (I'm unfamiliar with ME).
>
> Is there a way to access the OS services and manually disable themes? Or
any
> other suggestion you might have for accomplishing the same thing?
>
> Thank you for any help at all !
>
> Robert

The information you need is in Windows Help.

To add or remove a Windows component

Open Add/Remove Programs properties in Control Panel.
Click the Windows Setup tab, and then do one of the following:
To add all parts of a component, select its check box.
To remove all parts of a component, clear its check box.
To add or remove some parts of a component, click Details, and then select
or clear check boxes for those parts.

Notes
Another way to open Control Panel is to click Start, point to Settings, and
then click Control Panel. If you don't see the item you want, click view all
Control Panel options.
If you used a CD to install Windows, you will be prompted to insert it into
your computer.

bs

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

"Crazy Aizy" <NO_SPAM@luncheonmeat.com> wrote in message
> "RPA" <xxscoongexx10xxremovexs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm helping a friend with their HP Pavilion 6830 computer running
> > Win. ME.
> >
> > After a long day we were able to finally get rid of the malware,
> > restore security program functions, etc. and download all Windows
> > updates & security updates.
> >
> > Two problems remain:
> >
> > The first is in shutdown "hanging", however, I've noted the links
> > you have given to other posts of that nature and I'll work through
> > them to resolve that matter.
> >
> > Secondly, somehow a theme was applied which my friend wants to
> > disable and have just the basic desktop function. I've been unable
> > to find any way to change it back to a "normal" Windows desktop.
> > I've tried going through "Control Panel", "Themes" and regardless
> > of what I do most or all of the previous theme still remains in
> > effect.
> >
> > I had hoped to simply disable the theme services through
> > services.msc however that doesn't function in ME apparently (I'm
> > unfamiliar with ME).
> >
> > Is there a way to access the OS services and manually disable
> > themes? Or any other suggestion you might have for accomplishing
> > the same thing?
> >
> > Thank you for any help at all !
> >
> > Robert
> >

> The information you need is in Windows Help.
>
> To add or remove a Windows component
>
> Open Add/Remove Programs properties in Control Panel.
> Click the Windows Setup tab, and then do one of the following:
> To add all parts of a component, select its check box.
> To remove all parts of a component, clear its check box.
> To add or remove some parts of a component, click Details, and then
> select or clear check boxes for those parts.
>
> Notes
> Another way to open Control Panel is to click Start, point to
> Settings, and then click Control Panel. If you don't see the item you
> want, click view all Control Panel options.
> If you used a CD to install Windows, you will be prompted to insert
> it into your computer.

For Windows ME, Go to Start - Run - <type in the word Themes> - Change the
theme from the drop down panel. Delete or Add Microsoft Windows Themes from
the Add/Remove control panel applet - Windows Setup tab - Desktop Themes
entry.

BS