In article Richard Dower says...
> Enermax Noisetaker or OCZ Powerstream?

What the hell you want 600W for?

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article Richard Dower says...
>> Enermax Noisetaker or OCZ Powerstream?
>>
> What the hell you want 600W for?

SLI, four Raptors in RAID 0, FX-55 O/C to 2.8Ghz, 14 fans in a case, Things
like that.

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article Richard Dower says...
> >> Enermax Noisetaker or OCZ Powerstream?
> >>
> > What the hell you want 600W for?
>
> SLI, four Raptors in RAID 0, FX-55 O/C to 2.8Ghz, 14 fans in a case,
Things
> like that.

While I'm all for numerous case fans, 14 sounds a bit overkill.

MC

"ModeratelyConfused" <moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote in message

> "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > In article Richard Dower says...
>> >>
>> > What the hell you want 600W for?
>>
>> SLI, four Raptors in RAID 0, FX-55 O/C to 2.8Ghz, 14 fans in a case,
> Things
>> like that.
>
> While I'm all for numerous case fans, 14 sounds a bit overkill.

Personal choice, noise vs. cooling vs. overclocking.

They are all quiet fans if that helps.

> "ModeratelyConfused" <moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> SLI, four Raptors in RAID 0, FX-55 O/C to 2.8Ghz, 14 fans in a case,
> > Things
> >> like that.
> >
> > While I'm all for numerous case fans, 14 sounds a bit overkill.
>
> Personal choice, noise vs. cooling vs. overclocking.
>
> They are all quiet fans if that helps.

I'm not saying you shouldn't, it's all up to you. I've got 4 80MM fans
myself. :) I'd think you'd be good with maybe 3 90mm fans, 1 in front of
the drives, one in the back of the case, and one blow hole in the top of the
case. The blow hole is the best for removing heat, and I've seen a 5º+ drop
in case temp with it. You could also use 2 120MM fans, one in front of the
drives, and one in the back, and maybe a smaller fan for a blow hole. It's
really all up to personal choice.

MC

Richard Dower wrote:
> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > What the hell you want 600W for?
>
> SLI, four Raptors in RAID 0, FX-55 O/C to 2.8Ghz, 14 fans
> in a case, Things like that.

Then what the hell you want 600W for? Your system will rarely draw
more than 350W, each Raptor never more than 1.5A from the 12V line.
This isn't to say the majority of supplies labelled "350W" will be able
to power it.
14 fans to cool a small computer as much sense as....nothing.

> I'm not saying you shouldn't, it's all up to you. I've got 4 80MM fans
> myself. :) I'd think you'd be good with maybe 3 90mm fans, 1 in front of
> the drives, one in the back of the case, and one blow hole in the top of
> the
> case. The blow hole is the best for removing heat, and I've seen a 5º+
> drop
> in case temp with it. You could also use 2 120MM fans, one in front of
> the
> drives, and one in the back, and maybe a smaller fan for a blow hole.
> It's
> really all up to personal choice.

My Aopen H700A support seven 80mm fans, using all Vantec Stealth with a
Digital Doc 5+, PSU fans on the Antec 550W, CPU fan, Northbridge, DPS card,
Graphics card and so on.

System is not that noisy compared to just ONE Vantec Tornado...now that is
loud.

Richard Dower wrote:
> <do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> >> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> SLI, four Raptors in RAID 0, FX-55 O/C to 2.8Ghz, 14 fans
> >> in a case, Things like that.
> >
> > Then what the hell you want 600W for? Your system will rarely draw
> > more than 350W, each Raptor never more than 1.5A from the 12V line.
> > This isn't to say the majority of supplies labelled "350W" will be
able
> > to power it.
> > 14 fans to cool a small computer as much sense as....nothing.

> It's not small by any means,

14 fans and a size obsession go together.

> and the idea is to future proof and upgrade to the latest and
greatest.

You don't know what the future will be like in 1-2 years, and when
people previously have tried to future-proof their machines they simply
paid extra and later found it was cheaper to scrap their equipment
rather than upgrade it, a case in point being 486 motherboards with
Pentium upgrade sockets -- almost nobody could buy the upgrade Pentiums
for those sockets. Also with power supplies the industry could be a
switch to BTX style, and I suspect that desktop computers have almost
topped out in power consumption and will consume less in 1-2 years,
partially thanks to better chip processes that don't leak nearly as
much electricity.

The best 600W supply you can buy may be the 510W model from PC Power &
Cooling since they rate their supplies at 40C rather than the usual
25C, and at 25C it can put out 600W.

<do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Richard Dower wrote:
>> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> > What the hell you want 600W for?
>>
>> SLI, four Raptors in RAID 0, FX-55 O/C to 2.8Ghz, 14 fans
>> in a case, Things like that.
>
> Then what the hell you want 600W for? Your system will rarely draw
> more than 350W, each Raptor never more than 1.5A from the 12V line.
> This isn't to say the majority of supplies labelled "350W" will be able
> to power it.
> 14 fans to cool a small computer as much sense as....nothing.

It's not small by any means, and the idea is to future proof and upgrade to
the latest and greatest.

ModeratelyConfused wrote:

> "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > In article Richard Dower says...
> > >>
> > > What the hell you want 600W for?
> >
> > SLI, four Raptors in RAID 0, FX-55 O/C to 2.8Ghz, 14 fans in a case,
> Things
> > like that.
>
> While I'm all for numerous case fans, 14 sounds a bit overkill.
>
> MC

Some people paint funny logos on their cars.

Some people have furry animals hanging from their rear-view mirror.

Others like to have 14 fans in their case.

So what?

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article Richard Dower says...
>> Enermax Noisetaker or OCZ Powerstream?
>>
> What the hell you want 600W for?
>

> --
> Conor

Remember when 128meg of RAM was extreme? No one needed more than a 40G
hard drive? A 1000Mhz CPU was unbelieveable? 600W is not so far out there
is it?

In article cowboyz says...

> Remember when 128meg of RAM was extreme? No one needed more than a 40G
> hard drive? A 1000Mhz CPU was unbelieveable? 600W is not so far out there
> is it?

Yep.

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?

heheh was thinkin bout that the other day when i thought 64Mb was MAHOOOSIVE
for RAM - now im on 1Gb!!

--
Stephen Harding [SplanK]
*****************

"Stephen Harding (SplanK)" <steharding@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> heheh was thinkin bout that the other day when i thought 64Mb was
> MAHOOOSIVE for RAM - now im on 1Gb!!

Pfft...i'm on 4!!

> "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote
> in message news:cpdjv8$ic9$1@kermit.esat.net...
>
> Pfft...i'm on 4!!

My first PC had 4 megs of memory :-D

--
AZC

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On 10 Dec 2004 20:58:35 -0800, do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com wrote:

> Then what the hell you want 600W for?

Stability are normal reason.

In article Richard Dower says...

> It's not small by any means, and the idea is to future proof and upgrade to
> the latest and greatest.

I run a P4 2.8GHz with ATI Radeon 9800 Pro on a 300W....

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?

In article Richard Dower says...

> It's not small by any means, and the idea is to future proof and upgrade to
> the latest and greatest.

Doesn't always follow. Shuttle XPCs only have 200W or 250W PSUs.

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?

In article Ken says...
> On 10 Dec 2004 20:58:35 -0800, do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com wrote:
>

> > Then what the hell you want 600W for?
>
> Stability are normal reason.

??????

So you're one of those muppets....

--

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:00:09 -0000, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Then what the hell you want 600W for?
>>
>> Stability are normal reason.
>
> ??????
>
> So you're one of those muppets....

No I'm a electronic technician engineer since 35 years ago.
I know in detail how this works.
You need margins every fraction of seconds.
Never use more than 70% of the PSU:s capacity from every single oputput.
Don't forget the peak current.

In article Ken says...

> >> Stability are normal reason.
> >
> > ??????
> >
> > So you're one of those muppets....
>
> No I'm a electronic technician engineer since 35 years ago.

You need to go back to school then. Things have moved on.

> Never use more than 70% of the PSU:s capacity from every single oputput.
> Don't forget the peak current.

Don't forget how efficient a PSU is either...

Shuttle XPCs manage to get away with lower rated PSUs because they are
far more efficient than normal ATX ones. Also a good quiality ATX one
will have higher output current on the 12v,5V,3.3V lines than a budget
one for the same reason.

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?

I've wanted a hover craft too since I was a boy too!! Go for it!

Doug

Conor wrote:

> Don't forget how efficient a PSU is either...
>
> Shuttle XPCs manage to get away with lower rated PSUs because they
are
> far more efficient than normal ATX ones. Also a good quiality ATX one

> will have higher output current on the 12v,5V,3.3V lines than a
budget
> one for the same reason.

Untrue. There's no reason a 200W, 90% efficient supply can feed any
more power to its load than a 200W, 65% efficient supply can. But the
higher the quality of the supply, regardless of its efficiency, the
more likely it can meet or exceed its ratings, and if all supplies met
their ratings, rarely would anything larger than 350W be needed.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:30:08 -0000, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

> You need to go back to school then. Things have moved on.

No I learn year after year. My knowledge is up to date.
In school they learn old technology.

>> Never use more than 70% of the PSU:s capacity from every single oputput.
>> Don't forget the peak current.
>
> Don't forget how efficient a PSU is either...

Around 68% for a normal ATX PSU.

> Shuttle XPCs manage to get away with lower rated PSUs because they are
> far more efficient than normal ATX ones. Also a good quiality ATX one
> will have higher output current on the 12v,5V,3.3V lines than a budget
> one for the same reason.

It's very important to check all output lines capacity,
not only the total capacity in watts.
When starting drives it takes more than double amps.
All other electronics also takes a lot more when starting.
You get longer lifespan with a PSU that you don't use hard
near to the limit.